San Jose Mexico November

Steplift

Just booked for San Jose Mexico leaving November-6th and hoping to get into some good fishing.
Has anyone here had any experience fishing the area that could help out with advice and a known charter and. I've never been there before and would love to go out for Sail fish, Wahoo Yellowfin ect.

Fished with them many times, mostly with Tony.

I get down there on the 9th and will get out in short order as the yellow fin bite will be happening. Like to fill the freezer right away
Very good to know defiantly one of my bucket list fish for sure. I made a mistake I land on the 9th as well.

are they at the east end marina Aces, Puerto Los Cabos, La Playita I think its called ?
we'll be in Huatulco this Nov but back to Cabo in 2024...
That’s right. Their boats moor right in front el Ganzo hotel

Big Thank you to @Aces for sharing your experience & knowledge of the fishing industry down there. You were instrumental in helping me realize a goal I've had for close to 40 years.

What a fishing trip it was more than I could have hoped for. Our guide "Chewy" was born and raised in San Jose Del Cabo and has over 12 years of charter captain experience and it showed right from the get go he. After getting our bait we headed out after Yellowfin Chewy took a left right out of the harbor while others headed straight out it wasn't long until they turned our direction and followed us to avoid the big swells. Once we reached to grounds we set up the first drift it was fairly sporty out there Chewy didn't like the current angle so we reeled up moved over a little and set another chum slick out. Not even two minutes we were on Chewy excitedly said BIG TUNA and handed me the rod. The line was screamed out for what seemed forever while surrounded by other boats and anglers. Chewy expertly maneuvered the fish and boat in and around the fleet. At one point I could have stepped into another boat we were so close. We were almost clear of them when Chewy warned me a large wave was coming. I braced myself for impact and got completely soaked with my wife cheering and Chewy laughing. W e managed to get free and keep the fish on the line. After 45 minutes of the best fish fight I've ever experienced we boated a 80-80Lb Yellowfin. Lots of high fives and me realizing a 40 year old bucket list goal in life I had to sit down and take it all in for a moment. We caught several Skipjack, Rainbow runners & Green Trevally and lost two more nice Yellowfin. We tried for Dorado & Wahoo on the way in without any luck but the day was already a complete success.

Our Guide "Chewy" worked very very hard the entire trip to catch fish for us plus explain to us what he's doing and why. Gordo Banks Pangas is a professional outfit so is their staff and website.

Thanks Again @Aces Sportfishing.BC & @JustFishing for the use of your freezer it was nice to meet you and your family next time beers are on me.

Attachments

• 90.jpg
    90.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 97
  • Capt.jpg
    Capt.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 98
  • Chewy.jpg
    Chewy.jpg
    359.6 KB · Views: 97
  • ride.jpg
    ride.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 89
  • on.jpg
    on.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 88
  • set.jpg
    set.jpg
    432.9 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Great write up!

Too bad I never ran into you down at the fish huts. Had a nice chat with Monica regarding her recently deceased father, whom I knew quite well.
Chewy is one of a good stable of pro guides that work for Gordo banks. I’ve had many memorable trips out of San Jose.

Looking forward to a new adventure next week.

fishing the gordo or out near vinorama? Chunking squid or fly lining sardina ? We now prefer to fish with gordo banks pangas over the large sport fishers we have fished on for years out of Cabo San Lucas .

We were on the outer Gordo banks drift fishing squid strips the sardina were very tiny maybe two inches long. Chewy tossed a hand full at a time on each drift. It was pretty cool to watch him hand feed a 20" Rainbow runner to a yellowfin to bad it didn't stay on very long. From what I seen and had for an experience Gordo Banks Pangas take their business seriously and you get your money worth with the effort they put forth.

We were on the outer Gordo banks drift fishing squid strips the sardina were very tiny maybe two inches long. Chewy tossed a hand full at a time on each drift. It was pretty cool to watch him hand feed a 20" Rainbow runner to a yellowfin to bad it didn't stay on very long. From what I seen and had for an experience Gordo Banks Pangas take their business seriously and you get your money worth with the effort they put forth.
Hey Jody,
Scotty here! Nice story for the fish of a lifetime for sure. It was great meeting you guys down there. The freezer was the least I could do to help you guys out. As we told you I think it was the best tuna poke bowl we have had. How did the Titan cooler make it home? I had a small soft cooler bag I borrowed and filled it with ice cubes and 2 healthy bags of tuna. I’ve cubes were totally solid when we got home but the tuna had slightly thawed on the outside. They went straight into the freezer when I walked in the door. Going to try some again tomorrow night for dinner. Have you tried any yet?
Once again glad to have helped and we really appreciated the treat. Next time I’m looking Gordos up. I slogged it out 5-6 mornings and a couple evenings casting from the beach and only ended up beaching the one snapper. Still a great way to spend the morning while others are still sleeping.
Tightlines!

Hi Scotty
I sure wish I would have equipped myself with a shire fishing rod as well for down there. It hurt to watch predator fish chasing bait right in front of the hotel. Yes the fish made it home still frozen hard and no we haven’t tried any yet. I actually pulled a piece out last night when I got in from work tomorrow will be the big test. Yes it was definitely a fish of a lifetime for me it wasn’t a monster but it’s a good one and it’s mine and I’m more than happy with it. Well until 2025 as Arnold once said “I’ll be back” I no have an unfinished business feeling and want another one.

Thanks again Scotty hope we can meet up again down there

Oh yeah I got a picture of THE ONE a boat made of dreams and she’s beautiful!

Attachments

• IMG_9459.jpeg
    IMG_9459.jpeg
    361.2 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
My amigo Papayo had a great day yesterday at Gordo Bank. Wish it would have been me

Attachments

• IMG_0718.jpeg
    IMG_0718.jpeg
    327.5 KB · Views: 43
Wow what a cow I can only imagine the fight that fish put up beast of a fish. I’m already planning a return trip but it won’t be for two years unfortunately.

Wow what a cow I can only imagine the fight that fish put up beast of a fish. I’m already planning a return trip but it won’t be for two years unfortunately.
The other was almost as big

Back