Saltwater Kayak Fishing 2016

drmadcow

Anyone up for fishing around the breakwater on May 1st for the Lingcod seaon opening?

For some reason I couldn't find the existing 2016 thread.

I was out today in a friends power boat out of cow bay. Honey do's tomorrow. Next time Mad Cow.
T2

Sounds good. I've just been cleaning off the Nucanoe, and redoing some wiring. I'll let you know next time I go out. Cheers.

Daryl

Was out May 2nd, on a beauty morning at my favorite spot and boated a nice hatch 8-10 lb winter spring to kick off this year. Had to launch through a bit of ocean swell breaking on the beach, managed to time it perfectly and stay dry. Set my line, kite tail flasher and anchovy, 30 pulls, less than 10 paddle strokes and I got my hit. 2 more hours through the current change Ebb to flood and nothing. Made for a great dinner fish. No one else on the water, a rarity for this spot, cause its early yet.

Went out in the Vancouver area for about 4 hours. Still trying to figure everything out, and waiting for the electronics. No fish and no hits on bait. Was a gorgeous day only saw 1 fish hooked, not sure if it was landed or not...

I plan to go out early Sunday to Sheringham for my first salmon trip of the season from the yak,if anyone wants to join me. Launching from Flea Beach and will be on channel 68.
T2

Tried the g-spot, muir, second rock today, no satisfaction. Saw not much caught around me and really no evidence of a bite. Pre-sunrise to 10:00. One throw back coho. How did you do out west T?

I went out yesterday before first light but it was pea soup fog, so I didn't fish.
T2

This isn't much of a timely report but in the last eight weeks I have logged 35 hours fishing the Bell Buoy in Vancouver. I am new to the scene and there aren't many fish around. I haven't seen anyone hook a salmon in the area when i have been out so I'm not discouraged. I have caught a crab, a cod and two flounders to date. Ha. Its fun to get out and figure out how everything works in the new kayak, and the real fun should start shortly when the fish start staging.

Keep us posted, wishin. You're logging way more time than me, that's for sure.
T2

I paddled out of Pedder yesterday, put the crab trap down and did some jigging off the kelp beds. It was absolutely beautiful out on the water!
Released 1 small flounder/sole and kept 1 large Rock crab.
I really want to try paddling out of Renfrew. Can I launch at the old hotel? If not I guess the new marina is the next best place. Is there rockfish found inside the harbour or would I have to paddle out to East Point?
Thanks

I paddled out of Pedder yesterday, put the crab trap down and did some jigging off the kelp beds. It was absolutely beautiful out on the water!
Released 1 small flounder/sole and kept 1 large Rock crab.
I really want to try paddling out of Renfrew. Can I launch at the old hotel? If not I guess the new marina is the next best place. Is there rockfish found inside the harbour or would I have to paddle out to East Point?
Thanks
Next to the hotel is Seafoam fish plant and they have let me launch and park my truck on their property in the past. Ask them at their office. I used Gateway Marina to launch from a couple of weeks ago. The launch is free for kayaks and they will let you tie up at the marina for free too, which is handy if you're fishing for more than one day. I'm not sure about rockfish in the bay, I have never targeted them in the bay.
T2

Next to the hotel is Seafoam fish plant and they have let me launch and park my truck on their property in the past. Ask them at their office. I used Gateway Marina to launch from a couple of weeks ago. The launch is free for kayaks and they will let you tie up at the marina for free too, which is handy if you're fishing for more than one day. I'm not sure about rockfish in the bay, I have never targeted them in the bay.
T2

Thanks for the info!
Where did you paddle to, and any luck fishing?
What weather forecast do you use for Renfrew?
Cheers

Thanks for the info!
Where did you paddle to, and any luck fishing?
What weather forecast do you use for Renfrew?
Cheers
Hey Kinetic--the last trip a few weeks ago was more of a hiking/hangout trip with some friends. Going to Renfrew without a fishing rod just felt wrong! I brought the yaks along to throw the crab pots out in the bay, although we did have some sailing fun With them as well. (I have an adventure island with the big sail and outriggers. )The afternoon onshore breeze in the bay is a gas. In the past I have targeted coho at East Point in early October as well as coho in the bay. I am looking forward to some fall coho action in the bay this year, as tieing up at Gateway would be very handy to go after them. I find there are easier launch spots closer to Sooke to hit the springs--Otter and Sheringham put ins are only a few hundred metres from the tack. I would be tempted by East Point if the salmon fishing heated up but so far this year, that hasn't been the case. Meanwhile I've been crabbing everyday in my home waters of Parry Bay out of the yak--you gotta love summertime! We should wet a line together sometime. I use the Renfrew surf report and windyty for weather and I listen to the American marine weather on the vhf.
T2

I'm up in Nanaimo and I'd love to try going out with a few guys this summer for anything. I've only had my yak for a year. But I'm starting to get the hang of fishing out of it.
If anyone wants to go I'm free Monday to Wednesday most weeks. If the honey do list is not to big.

I was in Davis bay (close to Sechelt) staying with the family for the last five days. I fished mornings and evenings but it was mostly a family trip so couldn't log too many hours (may 15 in total). Not much in terms of bait or fish that I saw. I ended up with a flounder but I won't be happy til I get a salmon! Such a great way to fish, I love it.
I'm back in Vancouver now and it sounds slow here too. I will head out a few times over the next few days around the Bell.

If there are any Vancouver kayak fishers that want to get out let me know...

I was in Davis bay (close to Sechelt) staying with the family for the last five days. I fished mornings and evenings but it was mostly a family trip so couldn't log too many hours (may 15 in total). Not much in terms of bait or fish that I saw. I ended up with a flounder but I won't be happy til I get a salmon! Such a great way to fish, I love it.
I'm back in Vancouver now and it sounds slow here too. I will head out a few times over the next few days around the Bell.
If there are any Vancouver kayak fishers that want to get out let me know...
Hi, if you wanted to fish sand heads in the yak, where would you launch? Also is the bell in the middle of English bay?

Back