Salting Anchovies

I've fished all the baits available and it comes down to what bait you can manipulate into a effective roll. Anchovies are popular because they are penned and starved giving them a very torpedo like shape which is much easier to get into a tight roll. I use various rolls in a season and I personally find that I can easily and consistently get anchovies to perform the way I want with very little fuss. ALMOST to the point where I form it in the boat and toss it in working perfectly right off the bat. Not every time but close. I like using strip for Coho and tiny strip in certain ares where needlefish are always the main diet. I find I have to fuss a lot more with strip to get it the way I want it...when I get it there it is very effective. Part of the fuss is probably due to not using it often enough to have the set up locked in my memory like I do with anchovy.

Any tips or special formulas on how to salt or brine anchovies?

I tend to brine mine for a few hours and then refreeze them for later use. We then put the in a zip-loc bag overnight and they are good and bright. We also wire our heads so we can maintain the exact roll. Personally I find bait effective to about 80 feet. Deeper or winter fishing where you troll a little faster, I would recommend something other than bait.

Bait works fine for me from 88 to 120 feet at the moment. I haven't been brining but probably should to go through less anchovie. I do brine sometimes, but seem to get alot of hit and strips before your bait would generally wear out, so I haven't bothered. Thanks for all the brine tips in this thread. All good info.

Last edited by a moderator:
bait is too much hassle for this kid, plugs and spoons and no flasher for me, if i get skunked, well, it wasnt meant to be IMO....holmes*

I agree except I have been known to use flashers with spoons on occasion and of course always with hootchies.

H.E.H.

hey Holmes, you have a good refreshing attitude. Sort of matches my attitude with steelhead-- went from 100% bait in my younger years to flies and yarn these days. If I go home with skunk on my breath, well, screw them if they don't want what I gots to offer....

Now flashers hung off my ball as a dummy.....that's a whole different story. Wouldn't leave home without it.

How do you guys usually set up your Dummy Flashers and lures? How far above them do you run gear, how long a leader from the ball? I tried a few differnt methods this summer with much less action then flasher on the line.

-Steve

Hey Steve

I just attach a flasher to 2 meters on cable and hang it off the ball. Whatever lure or bait I use gets clipped just high enough above the flasher so the line it's attached to doesn't conflict with the flasher wire and get wound up into a nice tight ball. It does happen, but not as often as you'd think

Usually 1 1/2 M above is enough. Just experiment and tweak as necessary.

The main concern with a dummy flasher: keeping it out of your kicker motor. I'm a big fan of prop guards, but even with a guard, the flasher will occasionally get sucked up into the prop if you're not careful.

When I'm fighting a fish, that dummy flasher ALWAYS gets plucked out of the water with the ball.

good luck

Just wondering can you over salt your anchovies?

3 days ago I couldn't get a second rod down yesterday 1 hit on a chovie all day. Only difference I tried to brine. Used 1c. pickling salt (i figured I wasnt targeting jewish fish so didnt go kosher) to one pickle jar of water. No milk or bluing. Recipe said a quart to one cup. at 1 in the morning I didnt try and figure out how much that was.

bumping to active topics ;) no one knows if you can over salt your chovies? Trying to decided weather I pooched this tray or not?

I have never had a problem with beef jerky like chovies. I actually prefer them that way. As long as you get the roll you want then your good. No more blown out bellies this way and they last longer. I usually salt them for 4 days and change the mix after 2 days.

Cannibal chris

alright I will change out the mix with a bit less salt this time! They are quite jerkyish skin is tough but meat still seemed a bit soft who knows but now, I made them up 2 nights ago. Thx :)

I used to keep my salted anchovies in a sealable container and throw it in the freezer each night. The water won't freeze as there is too much salt but it slows down the pickling process so you have time to use them all up before they are paper thin. I only salt bait if it is a super freshly killed and trayed batch. I try and buy last years bait that has been in cold storage for a year...it toughens it up and no salting is needed.

Back