Salting Anchovies

Simple...start with one large zip lock bag, put 2 handfuls of course salt, 2 handfuls of powdered white milk, a dash of powdered garlic, a shot of bluing (buy it in tackle store), couple shots of anise oil, shake well add chovies place on ice and good to go.

I did the water,salt,and powdered milk thing on the last trip. The chovies firmed up better than ever and they were very shiny compared to just salting the tray. Also they stayed in the bag under ice for 5 days and still were good not rotten smell and firm as heck. Zip lock ,1 ltr of water,2 cups course salt and 1 cup powdered milk.and a splash of scent. I never tried the bluing.

Sorry, forgot...you must be from the take out of package bury in salt, use before they burn to crap school. LOL

Reminds me of my lazy chovies last weekend. I was blowing bellies before i even rigged em up ahha.

Do you add water to that searun? If so how much? Why the garlic? Thanks for the recipe ill try it next time.

Reminds me of my lazy chovies last weekend. I was blowing bellies before i even rigged em up ahha.

Do you add water to that searun? If so how much? Why the garlic? Thanks for the recipe ill try it next time.

Yes sorry, add water....missed a step. Garlic is a natural attractant for fish. Anise oil just makes em smell good. Not as critical as using milk powder to firm them up and bring on the shine. I know it sounds complicated but it takes all of 2 minutes to mix a bag of brine. Hope this helps. Works great for me, and helps make them last for days.

I did the water,salt,and powdered milk thing on the last trip. The chovies firmed up better than ever and they were very shiny compared to just salting the tray. Also they stayed in the bag under ice for 5 days and still were good not rotten smell and firm as heck. Zip lock ,1 ltr of water,2 cups course salt and 1 cup powdered milk.and a splash of scent. I never tried the bluing.
Ray where you buying stinking bait from......don;t need to reply just stop going there.

I use that same recipe but never tried garlic, what I have noticed is the chovies do not firm up as nice if I don't use the powdered milk. You can also get blueing in the laundary section of the supermarket a lot cheaper.

I use that same recipe but never tried garlic, what I have noticed is the chovies do not firm up as nice if I don't use the powdered milk. You can also get blueing in the laundary section of the supermarket a lot cheaper.

Tx for that tip, I like cheap and simple.

This may be a stupid question for some of you that know, but I don't so here goes... What is the powdered milk for, what does it do? Are you using garlic just for the scent or does it firm up the chovie also?

Edit: Ok I see that the milk powder appears to be to add sheen and also help to firm up the bait.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, adds sheen and firms up the bait along with the salt...makes them last a lot longer. Apparently others just use straight salt with remarkable results; I've never been that lucky doing that method for more than a morning...and if you are out for several days away from a freezer this method helps considerably.

I use one of those small little coolers that fits nicely on the transom. I fill it with salt water as we head out. I put about 2 cups of Kosher salt in her and about 1/2 a cup of powdered milk or regular cream. I put my chovies and herring in there and by the time we get out on the banks the whole mixure has washing machined itself to perfection.

I have never tried the garlic or other scents as I always thought that fish smell all by themselves. The salt stiffens them up. The powdered milk or regular cream brightens them up. That is it. Pretty simple really.

bait, shmait.....:eek::)holmes*

Spooner all the way with some plastic mixed in. Depends on were your fishing I guess. I mostly fish were a monkey could catch a fish. Spoons have produced the most fish for us over the years. Hootchies second. Bait third.

Funny thing is I always seem to bring bait????

I've just been using the achovy straight out of the pack. Will coffee mate work? I have a bunch of it, cant stand it, but I'm too cheap to chuck it out..lol..

Back