Salmon Head Recovery Program - Post results here

Waiting on reports from @wolf and @profisher. Sounds like they sent in lots of Sooke heads from their season.
Profisher - can you confirm some of the Sooke net pen fish were tagged?

I got a report back and of those I sent in 2 had coded tags. One was a Sooke Harbour Chinook (so net pen) and the other was from a Gorst Cr...both were 3 year fish. Yes 100,000 were wire code tagged...that is a requirement for this project. We want to do all 600,000 of them but we don't have the funding to do it at this time. They are the only marked and coded Chinook coming out of the Sooke watershed.

I got a report back and of those I sent in 2 had coded tags. One was a Sooke Harbour Chinook (so net pen) and the other was from a Gorst Cr...both were 3 year fish. Yes 100,000 were wire code tagged...that is a requirement for this project. We want to do all 600,000 of them but we don't have the funding to do it at this time. They are the only marked and coded Chinook coming out of the Sooke watershed.

Just received another email from DFO on hatchery head we deposited this summer.
I thought I would start a thread where you can post up the results of your heads submitted.

This one was caught 2021-08-26 at Otter Point.
No tag

CWT info from other salmon caught same day and area
4 year old Chinook from Stamp River.

Post em up.
Hope to see some Sooke Net Pen results.
I got 2 marked chinook this year,
1 area 11 may 30 was a 4 year ol fish from the chekmus river
The other was no tag from area 111

That's good you got a data point. Hope there are others.

Anybody got a list of hatcheries out there that need volunteers? I’m on the mainland but I’m sure others elsewhere would like to know too.

Anybody got a list of hatcheries out there that need volunteers? I’m on the mainland but I’m sure others elsewhere would like to know too.
That would make a great new thread ;)
This one is for tag reports.

Last edited:
Do they still give these pins with the information.
I'm looking for the printed details they sent and will post once I have it but it was caught I think , at the QA marker 20211212_112336.jpg

Just got my 2nd head return report back..this time of 10 heads turned in..1 had a wire coded tag..3 year old from Burard Inlet, caught Sept 4 at Otter Pt. so of a total of 22 heads turned in 3 had wire coded tags.

I had one tag of the 3 heads I put in.. This was caught near Swale.
Perhaps a Clayoquot fish raised at Thornton Creek hatchery or a hatchery near Tofino if there is one?
PIP is Public Involvement Project

Date CaughtTagAreaSpeciesAge (yrs)Release or Hatchery NameMap Num
2021‐08‐3118538323Chinook3Tofino Pip1

lDe2l7-iPxIVcCYOj8pOTSnxNQm2Goq1KkJnbvR7yas20UFGi7W7VGlprJ-K-UK4nbEmihFjsxQ5BALI001MhHggSa0UJJ0h9KZxG8PBMTko0t_DEweZZefyYos3ePmLdKV_idN6

I just received (Dec 23) a second head recovery report. This report had two fish that were not included on my Dec 6 report. probably because the springs were caught late Aug and Sept 16th.
One of the fish had a tag and it was marked : Shuswap R Mid. 4 yr old. which I think is near Enderby BC.
Yes mid Shuswap is between Shuswap lake and Mabel lake. Probably from the hatchery above enderby. Do you mind if I ask how big it was? If you remember that is.

Just got an email with results from a batch of 13 Chinook heads I turned in. 12 no tags and 1 caught Sept 9th at Otter...Cowichan bound. Was 750mm long.

Also got my emails today, 4 fish heads returned, no tags. Friend turned in 2 heads, one was tagged, from Palmer hatchery released on Green River near Seattle.

Back