Salmon Fishing Vancouver - Holiday Sept 2021 - Guide - affordable fishing

middy2000

Hi Guys, borders allowing Im hoping to come to Vancouver from Isle of Man for a month start of September. I would like to do some salmon fishing, I plan to book a days fishing charter. But affordability wise I would like to do more than one days fishing, is there any small one man operations you guys know of that I could work a deal to allow a few days fishing here and there that doesn't break the bank. Id like to do more than one day fishing on a boat, but at $500 to $1100 a day, this doesn't allow much fishing for my budget, I'm coming with my wife and daughter and of course have a lot of other things we want to spend funds on. Thank, all the best, Mark

Not trying to be a jerk but i wouldn't plan on non essential travel to Canada this summer
I respect what you are saying let’s see what end of this year looks like. We will both have vaccinations too. But yeh, things might still be bad. See what 5/6months looks like from now hey. Think we all might have to just live with Covid like another Flu, I don’t think it’s going away forever. Thanks

Not looking like there will be good prospects of the border opening to international travel. Canada's more like a 3rd world country when it comes to securing vaccines. I think we are something like 53rd ranked in the world.

Seniors are the priority at risk group for targeting vaccines. We are less than 2% of Canadian Seniors that are fully (both shots) vaccinated, whereas in the US it was 75% at least 1 vaccine, and 55% of seniors are fully (2) vaccinated. Canada's response to Covid is in a word...pathetic.

Compare the overall population vaccinated....Canada 1.5% vs US 17%.

I talked to a customer from Texas - they are now opening vaccines to the 16 year olds - everyone else has had their first shot and several have both.

Canada isn't about to open the border to travellers, even if you are vaccinated from what we are hearing. Canada will not be remotely ready to allow travel at the snails pace we are going about this unless the folks down south bail us out. Pee Wee Herman is running Canada...set your expectations low, low, low.

Not looking like there will be good prospects of the border opening to international travel. Canada's more like a 3rd world country when it comes to securing vaccines. I think we are something like 53rd ranked in the world.

Seniors are the priority at risk group for targeting vaccines. We are less than 2% of Canadian Seniors that are fully (both shots) vaccinated, whereas in the US it was 75% at least 1 vaccine, and 55% of seniors are fully (2) vaccinated. Canada's response to Covid is in a word...pathetic.

Compare the overall population vaccinated....Canada 1.5% vs US 17%.

I talked to a customer from Texas - they are now opening vaccines to the 16 year olds - everyone else has had their first shot and several have both.

Canada isn't about to open the border to travellers, even if you are vaccinated from what we are hearing. Canada will not be remotely ready to allow travel at the snails pace we are going about this unless the folks down south bail us out. Pee Wee Herman is running Canada...set your expectations low, low, low.
Hmm thank you. My sister lives in Port Coquitlam and said vaccines have been very slow. It is very sad, the issue is further compounded as you guys don’t like the UK Astra Zeneca vaccine either. Isle of Man where I live has a population of 85,000, we have vaccinated at least first dose 54,000 people, of which 15,500 of them has had both shots. Hopefully thinks speed up for you guys, seems ridiculous for such a developed wealthy country. What’s going on!!!

Rent a boat with some downriggers and a decent C/Plotter. I will take you out.
Because it doesn't appear I will be working as a guide AGAIN this year.
Just happy to get out and wet a line. Cheers
Hi, I might be interested in this! Can you send me some contact info

Hi, I might be interested in this! Can you send me some contact info

I don't think it's very easy to simply rent a boat that is outfitted with downriggers, chartplotters etc... Most boat rentals are for a few hour or a day cruise with bare essentials... They may rent out some crab or prawn traps, rope and bait... but that's about it... Also, it's not as simply as just the boat... you need canon balls, clips, rods, reels, gear, etc... after buying and securing all that you need, you are better off doing it through a charter... It's your vacation.. why make it stressful running around getting gear etc?

Pony up and hire a guide, don't do a boat rental. Not worth trying to do things on the cheap, you're on vacation. Trying to do things on the cheap usually ends up with regret. But maybe there's someone out there that can take you on a couple half day trips. Or else just do one full day of fishing. Remember, you get what you pay for.

If you come to Victoria in September you can rent a boat at Pedder bay and fish for Coho that time of year.
Victoria BC is about 3 1/2 hours by bus and ferry ride from Vancouver. I don't work for or have any association with Pedder bay or the rentals but I know its an affordable option.

Also you can shore cast and crab from a dock in some areas around Victoria/Sooke

Feel free to message me for more info

If you come to Victoria in September you can rent a boat at Pedder bay and fish for Coho that time of year.
Victoria BC is about 3 1/2 hours by bus and ferry ride from Vancouver. I don't work for or have any association with Pedder bay or the rentals but I know its an affordable option.

Also you can shore cast and crab from a dock in some areas around Victoria/Sooke

Feel free to message me for more info
Here’s my take on doing it yourself boat rental vs paying a bit more for a guided trip. I had clients who wanted to book 2 full days with me but chose to do one full one and then drive down to sooke from Nanaimo to rent one from pedder bay. The trip out with me was a good day, all 4 caught their limit of chins along with 3 other coho keepers. All had fun, drank some beers, smoked a bit and had a blast. The next day I got a message later in the day asking if I was available for the next day as their trip out of pedder was a bust. After paying for the boat rental all day, fuel, rods, downriggers, tackle, lost gear etc they were not far from what a full day with me costs. They had no clue where to go, what to use, how deep etc etc, which led to them getting skunked. Plus they lost tackle due to hitting bottom, line tangles etc. Also couldn’t drink on board. So to say they were pissed at their decision was an understatement, but they wanted to try the cheaper way. I totally understand that to some it seems like a lot to hire a guide, but you are paying for a lot more than just their time.

Its a pink year so as of mid July even rookies will catch a few pinks with rental boats in Pedder Bay.
Also, there is something about doing it yourself even if it requires a learning curve. A nice spring all on your own terms brings more satisfaction than a full limit of all species on a guide's boat. IMO

Here’s my take on doing it yourself boat rental vs paying a bit more for a guided trip. I had clients who wanted to book 2 full days with me but chose to do one full one and then drive down to sooke from Nanaimo to rent one from pedder bay. The trip out with me was a good day, all 4 caught their limit of chins along with 3 other coho keepers. All had fun, drank some beers, smoked a bit and had a blast. The next day I got a message later in the day asking if I was available for the next day as their trip out of pedder was a bust. After paying for the boat rental all day, fuel, rods, downriggers, tackle, lost gear etc they were not far from what a full day with me costs. They had no clue where to go, what to use, how deep etc etc, which led to them getting skunked. Plus they lost tackle due to hitting bottom, line tangles etc. Also couldn’t drink on board. So to say they were pissed at their decision was an understatement, but they wanted to try the cheaper way. I totally understand that to some it seems like a lot to hire a guide, but you are paying for a lot more than just their time.
Unreel - you make a great point about factoring cost vs time/vs enjoyment. I think though that if the budget is tight they have go with what they have. I know that during that time of year if the Pink salmon are still around in it won't be hard to get on fish. Also september last year was phenomenal for coho fishing..... BUT I agree that if they can afford it doing the extra day with a guide would be more enjoyable.

Perhaps the OP could make arrangements with a local guide for a combined rate for several days? That might tip it back within their budget?

Back