Salmon Fishing Seminar Update

profisher

On November 12th there will be an advanced salmon fishing seminar held at the newly opened Charters River Salmon Interpretive Centre. The centre and the adjoining hatchery are located on the Charters River at 2895 Sooke River Rd about a half mile before the Sooke Potholes parking lot. The afternoon's presentations will begin at noon and conclude at 4pm. Guest speakers are Tom Davis of Rhys Davis Fishing Lures, Malcolm Russell of Russell Electronics and Ward Bond of Island Outfitters.
Chris Bos will MC the seminar and will give an outlook for the 2012 recreational halibut fishery and possible actions planned. Tom Davis will speak on trolling with bait, choosing the right flashers and other gear. Malcolm Russell will speak on fishing with electricity and understanding electrolysis. Ward Bond will speak on advanced techniques in the use of hootchies and spoons.
The seminar will begin at 12 noon and conclude at 4pm. Cost is $25.00 per person with 100 tickets being available. All proceeds are being donated to the Charters River Salmon Interpretive Centre. I hope to have tickets available at Island Outfitters, Trotac, Westshore Sport Fishing and Eagle Eyes Outfitters. Tickets should be available by Wednesday October 5th. I would have had them available sooner but have been severely under the weather the last 4 or 5 days and haven't accomplished a thing during that time.
We are hoping that ticket holders will come a bit early and have a look around the grounds and the buildings before the seminar begins.

Interesting concept, will mention it to the WCFGA as a potential fund raiser so we can put proceeds towards salmon enhancement. We could do something similar in the mid island area.

Awesome focus! Good on everyone who worked at bringing your seminar from proof of concept, into fruition. You will have a full sell out. My hope in the future is that you will be able to sell ten times the amount of tickets for your next event. This is a great idea, and every angler should make an effort to support it.

PS. Searun, good idea.

DHA.

Thanks DHA. I got around this morning to Island Outfitters and Trotac with posters and tickets, so those 2 outlets now have them. Each of the 4 outlet will have 25 tickets available. Should get out to Westshore Sportfishing later today or tomorrow and Eagle Eyes later in the week.

Westshore Sportfishing now has their supply of tickets.

We've had to make a change in the days speaker lineup. ward Bond mixed up the dates and regrets he has plans to be on a beach in Mexico at the time of the seminar. His replacement will be Joanne Harrison who will take over Ward's topics but also add in a section devoted to "how to target bigger fish". Joanne has proven to have the skills it takes to find bigger fish...so it should be an interesting topic for many.

Awesome man, I am glad that you were able to find a great alternate. The most exciting part about what you are doing, is simply, that you are doing it. I have talked to my leadership and we'd like to offer you some goods that you can offer as door prizes. You gotta make arrangements to pick em up though. I believe in what you are doing! You will sell out shortly.

We are going to help you by donating an ACE Line Hauler and a rod combo and some tackle.

DHA.

Last edited by a moderator:
DHA I was going to make a few calls and look for a bit of product for goodie bags...to have someone step up and offer an awesome donation without being asked is above and beyond. Especially in todays economic times. A very sincere thank you. I will have no problem picking up your donation. Send me an email at : sscl@shaw.ca Rollie
We had a meeting last night at the centre and I gave Eldon Smith tickets for Eagle Eye. He will have them dropped of today so you Sooke guys can pick up your tickets now.

BTW tickets are selling briskly. Outfitters sold half of their alloted 25 in the first day.

Ticket sales are going well with over 30 sold to date. There should be some exposure this week in the local newspapers. I would expect to be half sold out by the weekend.

Any way you guys can record it or stream it online? Will donate and stop by next time Im in Sooke..

Was having a funny moment as I thought about responding to your question. The moment was....so this is what goes through a pro-sport owners mind when he is trying to sell out the venue and has a blackout in effect until it does. lol I will see if anyone is interested in taking on that task...free admission for a bit of work.

Definitely would be neat to record it but stream it I wouldnt. The money raised from this goes to a great cause. If people can just sit back and watch it for free at home they might not bother to come in person. I can see how a mainlander might like that. A long to come. Got my ticket! :)

If it gets streamed online for free, then why did I buy a ticket? I think that would be kinda weak. Record and sell the video.

It definitely won't be streamed online. May consider recording it if I find someone willing to do it at no cost.

Definitley not looking for free handout just really interested in what they have to say, but doesn't make sense logistically for the $200 in ferry fares to get over there. Would love to see a recorded version. Have been through the new center this summer as my girlfriend has a cabin in sooke, donated some then when they were having a seminar about the history of farming in the Sooke area..

And then cross your fingers for no technical glitches that even the pro-hockey broadcasts seem not to be able to prevent. Then having to refund money back...I think I'll pass on that one.

Officially half sold out as of today. The Sooke paper didn't get the story into this weeks paper...hopefully this coming week it will appear and there will be a spike in sales out that way. I'm on my way up to Nanaimo tomorrow to pick up some donated prizes, gear and to deliver a seminar ticket. If anyone up between Vict and Nanaimo is thinking about attending and wants a ticket let me know and I can meet you alone the way.
We are planning a Feb/12 halibut seminar with topics on how to anchor properly and safely, how to pick a hali hot spot, gear and baits, landing larger fish and proper cleaning/handling of the fish. Those who attend the salmon seminar will have first chance at tickets for the Feb halibut seminar. Also being considered is a June-ish seminar on the offshore Tuna fishery. Again topics of interest will be presented and discussed. All the seminar proceeds going to the Charters River Interpretive Centre and Hatchery!!!

Back