Salmon Beach Shore Fishing

jaymasta

I am heading up to Salmon beach next weekend and I am wondering If I should bring some gear to do some shore fishing? Were staying at a friends cabin right on the water and it would be nice to be able to catch a fish or two from the shoreline. I have a nice casting rod and a bunch of lures for casting and what not. I have never been to salmon beach but will be doing a little research this week and hopefully get some useful tips and information from here. I don't mind purchasing a few extra lures and gear if its possible to catch salmon from the shoreline. I am hoping its called salmon beach for a reason, thanks in advance :D

im saying not much of a chance, bring a small boat and take it out into the calm waters off it and cast maybe??? my opinion

I have been in Salmon Beach before...a sandy beach with big rocks around. Lots of kelps and debris (woods) around that a castin' lure could snag on. I have been in 12 ft metal boat by going out from Troquart Bay before and fished just fine inside instead of going further out in sea.

I can't tow my boat up there to much time cost and effort for 2 days, plus were going up there with other people and I don't want to be gone for 6 hours at a time fishing. However I might be able to borrow a 12ft aluminum and throw it in the back of my truck and use my 8hp honda kicker to shoot out for a few short trips to do a bit of jigging. I assume troquart bay is quite protected and if its a nice day a 12ft boat is no issue?

Fishsppon did you catch anything?

I remember fishing inside waters near Troquart Bay that have an entrance to Pipesteam Inlet long time ago which once had numerous cohoes and springs. We had a huge bucketmouth lingcod and a few cohoes in late 70's. Lots of people used to fish there. Now it is closed but there are spots around Troquart Bay that you may want to fish. Look up in regulations of area 23 (Barkley Sound)to see if it is open. Big chinooks should be around near the bay.

Afteroon fishin' wouldn't be a good idea due to thermal winds.

I have a lot up there and I would say bring the tinny for sure with the motor. It has been unreally calm right out front there and the only thing you'll have to watch out for is the wake of bigger boats.

I always fish the banks but we were talking with the neighbours this weekend and they were wacking the coho right tight to Forbes Island right out front during the week. Bring some slip weights, some cop car and army truck spoons in smaller sizes, and some bucktails and you should be good to go.

"I'm not talkin bout pleasure boatin or day sailin......I'm talkin bout workin for a livin"- Captain Quint

I just got back from a trip to salmon beach. On a day we decided to take a break from fishing, we walked down to the mouth of the Maggie River to look for clams and oysters. As I'm looking out at the salt water, I notice a nice salmon jump. I keep watching and start to see lots of jumpers. They were obviously travelling in schools as multiple fish would jump at the same time in the same location. They were all milling around in front of the Maggie River, possibly waiting for increased water levels to move up. We took the boat out and landed 2 nice coho. The next day I got 3 more - all just a few minutes from salmon beach. Cop car spoons were the ticket - big ones, fished 25ft down. We speculated about casting from shore. Some were jumping very close. I think you can do it if you have chest waders to get out a little bit. Spoons should work.

Back