Rubber trailer Brake line.

gungadin

I recently posted in another thread that I was installing a set of Kodiak disc brakes on a friends trailer. Well I started on it today, and of course there is a hitch. The disc brake set up he has on there is a Tie Down system and of course the brake line fittings are not compatible at the caliper. Tie down has a banjo fitting with crushable washers to seal, while the Kodiak uses an inverted flair. So what to do? At present there are DOT rubber hoses that go to a junction block (inverted Flare) for left and right side brakes. I don't believe I can run a solid line to the calipers as they are the floating style and would move as the brakes were applied. So I think I need to use flexible brake hose. Now for the question; does anybody know were I can get flexible brake lines with inverted flare fittings? I could get some stainless flex lines made up at an hydraulic shop, but they are expensive. Any thoughts appreciated.

Well, This is now a FYI thread:rolleyes:. After getting the brake lines off I discovered upon close inspection that the brake lines appeared to thread into the banjo fittings. I am overjoyed to report that the brake lines that came as a kit with the Tie-Down brakes, are actually inverted flare type fittings.. The banjo fitting was an adapter that the brake lines threaded into to fit the Tie Down calipers. Remove the banjo fitting and "voila" perfect fit for the Kodiak calipers. So nice:D . Just need new nuts and bolts for the caliper holding bracket. Hub bearings are good, had stainless speedie sleeves, new double lip seals. All i got was soaking wet from a short downburst.

Last edited:
All finished, brakes work much better, no longer stay on or hang up for a while. After a fairly long test drive, with multiple stops the rotor temperature never exceeded 75 degrees F. The trailer no longer was pushing the truck when slowing down.. At this point if he maintains them by spraying them with a salt away solution as suggested by Reel Time every time the trailer is dunked and he removes and greases the slider pins yearly, he should be fine. On a side note he had broken the key off in the side controller and thought he would need to replace the ignition switch, but got the broken part out easily with a slightly modified coping saw blade.

Back