Trailer brake rebuild time

Poor investment

I Have a 2005 ez loader tandem axel (beleive there 3500# axels but I won’t be back in town for a month to confirm) Hard lines on the surge break system are rotten. So I’m looking at redoing some brakes when I get back to town

I’ve had a couple buddies recently put electric drum brakes on their trailers with the plan that if they’re rinsed well enough they should last. But I’m skeptical, seems like a lot going on to be sinking in the salt. Anyone had any long term success?

Boats roughly 5000lb and only towed a handful of times a year

I put new rotors x4 brakes and bearings on my trailer in 2020, lots of towing, lots of salt, always carry a garden sprayer to rinse after launches, and they still look good, work good. $1300 back then. Seems like another 4 seasons worth maybe. Plus very strong braking when needed.

I ran electric brakes on my 13,000 pound tandem boat trailer for years. I rinsed with fresh water immediately after every submergence , they take a bit of love to maintain but I found them to be a completely workable system.

I was looking at the Electric also. You can buy them complete (backing plate and all), galvanized for under $100 each. Make sure to seal all your electrical connections carefully. Easy peasy replacement every 2-4 years and it's only $400 (double axle- 4 sets). Cheap and easy maintenance. I have a link, just gotta find it.

Back