Rub rails replacement GVRD / Sea to Sky

MiddlepointBight

Hi all,

Looking to get the rub rails redone on a 93' Hourston cuddy. Would do it myself but don't have the time with two kids aged 3 and under! The current rails are not sealed well, and enable seepage into the cuddy in multiple locations (and probably in other less detectable spots).

There's a small gap in some areas where water runs off the front deck and into the gap (between gelcoat and rub rail), then drips out down the outer hull. So, I can say with a high degree of certainty that the existing screws are not sealed well, and want to prevent water getting into the balsa cored cuddy. Top deck and is still solid and "taps" well and consistent, but want to nip this in the bud asap.

Ideally, the old holes should be screwed out, epoxied, then new rails set in and sealed properly.

Boat is in Squamish now, so towable to anywhere in the Sea to Sky corridor or GVRD. Recommendations for quality work would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Hi all,

Looking to get the rub rails redone on a 93' Hourston cuddy. Would do it myself but don't have the time with two kids aged 3 and under! The current rails are not sealed well, and enable seepage into the cuddy in multiple locations (and probably in other less detectable spots).

There's a small gap in some areas where water runs off the front deck and into the gap (between gelcoat and rub rail), then drips out down the outer hull. So, I can say with a high degree of certainty that the existing screws are not sealed well, and want to prevent water getting into the balsa cored cuddy. Top deck and is still solid and "taps" well and consistent, but want to nip this in the bud asap.

Ideally, the old holes should be screwed out, epoxied, then new rails set in and sealed properly.

Boat is in Squamish now, so towable to anywhere in the Sea to Sky corridor or GVRD. Recommendations for quality work would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Try Ocean West Marine in Squamish. Duane does great work but like everyone else he’s pretty busy.

Try Ocean West Marine in Squamish. Duane does great work but like everyone else he’s pretty busy.

Thanks, appreciated the recco. Must admit though, I haven't heard great reviews come from fellow boaters who've had work done at Ocean Marine.

Thanks, appreciated the recco. Must admit though, I haven't heard great reviews come from fellow boaters who've had work done at Ocean Marine.
I can only speak to my own experience which includes installation of an Ultra-Deck flooring package, swap out icebox for a real fridge, installation of a custom roof rack, installation of a Wallas heater, and application of bottom paint. Each time I was impressed with the quality of work and attention to detail and I’m not easily impressed. The way Duane installed the Wallas heater between the inside and outside hulls was incredible. It was a horrible tight space to work and he glassed in a backboard to mount the heater to. He certainly isn‘t cheap but I have always felt that I got what I paid for.

Back