Can you setup a solar trickle charger to a blue sea battery switch with dual batteries?

smokedvw

I have just single batteries in my other 2 boats and run a trickle charger into the 12v cigarette style receptor. This seems to keep them charged well while sitting at the dock.

I looked up how to do this with a blue sea switcher avd 2 batteries but I only see photos with a ACR. is it possible to do it without it? I thought I could plug directly to a single battery I guess so it stays charged.

This in on a 185 double eagle, I only use the battery for starting, downrigges, fishfinder and stereo.

This one is the one I use currently on the other boat.

Thanks

Last edited:
Yes - just hook it up, if your panel is small, rated at say 20 watts or less. Panels always produce less than rated. Keep in mind PV panels put out 18 to 22 volts - too much for 12 v. batteries. A panel of 100 watts definitely needs a charge controller to avoid battery damage.

Also hook up the panel AFTER you connect the controller to the batteries. I bypassed the big switch and ran cables from the batteries to a waterproof socket I installed in the gunnel. That way I can just plug in my 20 amp controller and panel without messing with battery clips etc.

Back