Rigger mounted rodholders, who has what?

SaintSix

Got a new silver streak carmanah almost finished being built, I have a pair of 2106 scotty down riggers and I was looking for ideas for boom mounted rod holders. I'm going to have a set of scotty strikers on the back of the boat. Does anyone run the offshore orca rod holders? I watched a youtube video of a charter who used them. looked pretty easy to get the rod out when a fish is on. Any other brands or models work well boom mounted

I added some of the typical Amazon stainless rocket launchers to my riggers and went back to the standard scotty deck mount rod holders. I didn't like how much torque the rod holders added to the gunnel mounts, right or wrong. Just more comfortable removing the rod when a hit happened too.

I have used them all and boom mounted tubes are my least favorite.
I went to gunwale mounted strikers years ago and wouldn't change now.

I have used them all and boom mounted tubes are my least favorite.
I went to gunwale mounted strikers years ago and wouldn't change now.

Strikers mounted in the gunnels forward of the riggers are what I have run for a long time. Some fellows like having the rod up higher but I never liked having to reach and fight the rod out. I also like the rod being held at the fore grip, it’s just less leverage and stress on the rod

I tried the offshore Orca's, didn't like how much they twisted. Lots of torque on them and didn't like them. Currently using the top half of the Scotty gear head mount (#428) with the stryker rod holders on my boom. Doubles as a rod holder for halibut & lings as well. Have been having good success hooking fish with the rod tip being lower to the water. It's usually the dipsh*t on the rod that ruins it all. Ideally, I think gunnel mounted rod holders are better.

Run the Orcas on my 1106’s and love them, very quick once you get on them. Takes a couple times to get them figured out but once you do they are handy.

Attachments

• B4D988E7-E257-4AEF-A514-2FFC6C0A6133.jpeg
    B4D988E7-E257-4AEF-A514-2FFC6C0A6133.jpeg
    318.8 KB · Views: 222
  • B202D942-C39B-4493-B0C7-C9FAA73ACBB5.jpeg
    B202D942-C39B-4493-B0C7-C9FAA73ACBB5.jpeg
    452.2 KB · Views: 218
Run the Orcas on my 1106’s and love them, very quick once you get on them. Takes a couple times to get them figured out but once you do they are handy.

Not criticizing but that set up makes me cringe. It’s just asking for a failure due to stress and a lost rod in my opinion. I like to really torque the rod down so it’s got good pressure when the release goes. I also have areas where I am fishing over 200’ deep.

i would have the holder in the flush mount in the gunnel, lower and closer to get in my opinion but may be a tad close to the rigger boom

Dual tube bases. Easy set up. Everything at your fingertips. Swivel them both back for an easier out. Will never break.

Not criticizing but that set up makes me cringe. It’s just asking for a failure due to stress and a lost rod in my opinion. I like to really torque the rod down so it’s got good pressure when the release goes. I also have areas where I am fishing over 200’ deep.

i would have the holder in the flush mount in the gunnel, lower and closer to get in my opinion but may be a tad close to the rigger boom
Nah you ain’t going to break that, that’s what reels have drag for lol.

Yea if any of you have pics, I would love to see them. I'd like to make the best educated guess I can, when it comes to where/how I think id like them. My last boat I used to the strikers off the transom for trolling. but Id like to have something off port and starboard for hali as well. I can justify buying several and seeing what I like best but the Mrs dosent share that opinion lol

have you ran this set up jigging for hali? any issues?
No when on the jig the down riggers are folded in and we use the flush mount brackets and the true lock holders.

We have fished for hali with the base tubes at anchor, no issues. As previously stated, make sure your drag is set correctly.
No too worried about quick strikes and setting the hook with hali, should never be knocking over beer etc.

boom mounted orcas on extensions 100 % for me , once you get the hang of it there’s no better feeling than setting directly into a bucking fish, it takes the clumbsyness out of having to pull it out of the tube style holder , reel down , pop out of clip etc.. 4 years no issues F0FE71AE-5CE2-4F74-B552-BF52AAD6B652.jpeg

boom mounted orcas on extensions 100 % for me , once you get the hang of it there’s no better feeling than setting directly into a bucking fish, it takes the clumbsyness out of having to pull it out of the tube style holder , reel down , pop out of clip etc.. 4 years no issues View attachment 63274
Is this a plug and play option, or is there some customization required?
Those dudes look pretty relaxed!

Edit, I see boom mounted now, need coffee. I was thinking they were mounted on the double tube base.

Back