Reported Fishing Depths

Pudsey

Just wondering what everybody means when they report a fishing depth i.e. is it the downrigger depth reading or an actual depth (downrigger reading corrected for the estimated angle of slant). It would also help if the downrigger weight was identified. I usually use 8# or 10# weights but 15# would make the line more vertical. Boat speed and tidal movement obviously affect the line angle as well. My guess, when the downrigger shows 100' and I have 8# on, would be that I am actually fishing somewhere between 60' and 75'.

Just wondering what everybody means when they report a fishing depth i.e. is it the downrigger depth reading or an actual depth (downrigger reading corrected for the estimated angle of slant). It would also help if the downrigger weight was identified. I usually use 8# or 10# weights but 15# would make the line more vertical. Boat speed and tidal movement obviously affect the line angle as well. My guess, when the downrigger shows 100' and I have 8# on, would be that I am actually fishing somewhere between 60' and 75'.

good question
I always report depth on downrigger...ie 60', probably down 50' depending on the angle.
use 10 pound weights when fishing 100' or less during the summer and 15's when fishing more than 100'

Depth to me = the depth on the downrigger. I use 15# balls and try to keep my speed through the water consistent, so depending on the depth ill have an ideal "angle of the dangle" in mind, as well as a ballpark idea of how much depth is lost to blowback. Results will vary depending on braid/cable thickness, etc.

sometimes people will report the actual depth followed by their fishing depth. "I was fishing in 110 ft at 40 60 on the dr"

I always go by estimated actual depth. As you noted, depth by DR line count is subjective. Most use 15# balls, & troll at a speed where cable angle = 45 degrees - looks like your math skills can figure this one out. That being said, this is a poor way to catch fish (asking others what they are doing). The new CHIRP sounders will reliably mark Salmon so you aren't trolling around for hours where there are no Salmon. Been doing the Salmon trolling thing for over 30 years and the saying that 10% of fishers catch 90% of the Salmon is so true. That means if you rely on asking someone else 90% chance they are wrong.

I always use 15 pound or more I try to keep mine on a 45 also and im always paying attention to my M.P.H. with and against current/tide to find the happy spot!!!

I go by what's on the down rigger as calculating actual depth is not as simple as using 45* angle. The cable may be 45 at the surface, but it begins to curve down the deeper you go, so your going to need some polynomial equations to figure that out :D. Also this will be different for cable vs braid. Sometimes my depth sounder picks up the down rigger ball, which is cool because you then know exactly what depth you are, and it's fun to see fish arches line up with your down rigger ball!

trolling_graph.jpg

Back