Renfrew Reports?

Just got back on Sunday after spending the week at the cabin......awesome weather for the first 4 days. We had the aluminum on the water on a couple of the days. Crabbing was good once we found them. A few sets were either soft ones or females. We had better luck a bit further out in the bay and in tight. No hali fishing but did get a nice 12 lb Spring around the RockPile (Thanks Optimist) and a few other shakers. All in all a great week.........:cool:

Hally was good today at Sombrio, let go a 6 fter :(, ha ha it was a six gill :)

A few years back we hooked into what appeared to be a giant six gill; the ensuing battle lasted about 15 min, it was a s**t show of sorts, the capt was below deck taking a nap when the bruiser hit the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] rod, it proceeded to roll in the remaining 3 sets of gear before it broke off.:(

Someday we will return equipped for the prey…:)

hey, u know, we as a community should really get behind ONE location for the island and vote like crazy - good exposure, and obviously cash infusion as well - I'll do my part, but really all of Victoria would need to get behind it to compete!
http://www.worldfishingnetwork.com/uft/vote/portrenfrew-bc

Renfrew made a pretty good attempt at this a couple years ago, I recall made the short list in the first round. It was the second round of voting where they couldn't compete...the Ontario town beat them by a huge margin, it wasn't even close. To win this, I believe you need a coordinated effort of mechanized warfare....hundreds of email accounts, with each submitting the maximum votes per days for the entire voting period. The casual angler casting a single vote is a drop in the bucket. There were a few people in Renfrew that worked really hard at this and I think it became a downer in the 2nd round ... I suspect they aren't going there again.

yeah, i hear ya and realize its a long shot, but Alberni did it and they don't exactly have a huge population - just took the imagination of islanders and maybe even Vancouver area to get on board and support. While there are other places available, also deserving on the west coast, I just figure Renfrew community can benefit the most from winning and its also the closest to Victoria - large population. I see Sooke is in there as an option, but I think the contest is silly if you don't actually vote for 'the best'....I pay to go on charters in Renfrew, I generally wouldn't consider it elsewhere, so to me, Renfrew makes sense! Sooke is 'convenient' fishing, Renfrew is where you go if you REALLY WANNA FISH!

I just figure if we could sneak enough votes through to make round 2 and 'isolate' the options so votes aren't spread, maybe there is hope, but yeah, definitely need a Renfrew ringleader for any shot.

And just to get back to fishing ... I don't have a proper report, but Hourston (Hindsight) posted this photo last week ... gets the imagination going, as more than just halibut in Renfrew right now apparently. How about a halibut, some feeder springs, and a full crab trap as a good day? Just add kitesurfing the bay after for the cherry on top and I'd be the happiest camper around ;-)

540095_518222354909252_815868188_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...10829317.22025.123688871029271&type=1&theater

That spoon is almost the size of the springs? Just to tease us or is there a magic large spoon that "knocks them out?" Great photo...thanks for sharing...after getting on top of all the chores lately I want to head out there...still have to use the Ramp beside Butch's ?

That spoon is almost the size of the springs? Just to tease us or is there a magic large spoon that "knocks them out?" Great photo...thanks for sharing...after getting on top of all the chores lately I want to head out there...still have to use the Ramp beside Butch's ?

I think they were testing out the new Gibbs spoons. 4" ones is my guess, from photo below (hope it works).

521842_10151392364503660_71131508_n.jpg

Yes, I believe the ramp in the river is the only one open so far....May 1st for the Marina.

re: Bud Light....LOL. Guess it means you can just drink twice as many?

Weather sucks, hope to get out on Thursday. The New G-Force Spoons are the Ticket for sure, Plus the Coho Killers in Double Glow with a short 30 inch Lead, well at least the morning I was out. Some nice fish around for sure.. :)

Fished Camper on Saturday from 7am till 10:30am. Picked up 21.5lb and 17lb springs. Released a small one.
Fish were thick and shaped like footballs. Good fun getting back into some decent fish.
Saw a few fish caught but no real "bite on". Just a fish here and there.
Crabbing was pretty good.

Tips

beauty! ill be either cut plugging camper or making a bank run this weekend. will post results

Fished halis east of East Point on Sat and got 3 chicken in short order sitting on anchor. Nice day.

Fished Renfrew all weekend ,halis on the bank were excellent on the anchor,the well and dick ,average size was 30lbs lots of krill and herring starting to show off shore ,with the us commercial fleet fishing the closure line ,indications from a few other guides said there were a few springs out there 8-16lbs 170-200 ft on the rigger,i fished closer to home and there was some great spring fishing sat and sun,with limits of 18-25 lbs a real mix of hatchery and wild almost all the fish were on spoons fishing close to the bottom, managed a couple on chovie ,rumour has it that there were a couple of 30lb fish weighed in,,all in all a very promising start.

Back