Bring your own boat option

Two years ago towed the boat into Moucha Bay,(Nootka) had a great week there in July. Three different price points for lodging and a campground, great marina, friendly staff, vac/seal fish on site is a plus.
Last year stayed at TRM in Tofino, for a week to take part in the salt water classic. Mainly wanted to meet Brendan Morrison (stand up guy) and BuckTail for Coho( which was a blast!) Don’t think we’ll stay there again however. This year booked into Ukee at Portside Harbour Condo , which is close to where the boat will be sleeping at the Canadian Princess wharf, hopefully in for a good trip. I really want to Fish Port Renfrew too, maybe park the boat at PGM and stay at Handsome Dans, haven’t been that way since I hiked the west coast trail with my old man in the 90’s. I always look for a place with a kitchen, not into eating out every meal.

Do you bring your own food there and cook your own meals?
Yea we are fully self contained. Use their bbq’s and cleaning stations and store our catch in their freezers. There is a pub on other side of inlet and a small store 2 min boat ride away.

Two years ago towed the boat into Moucha Bay,(Nootka) had a great week there in July. Three different price points for lodging and a campground, great marina, friendly staff, vac/seal fish on site is a plus.
Last year stayed at TRM in Tofino, for a week to take part in the salt water classic. Mainly wanted to meet Brendan Morrison (stand up guy) and BuckTail for Coho( which was a blast!) Don’t think we’ll stay there again however. This year booked into Ukee at Portside Harbour Condo , which is close to where the boat will be sleeping at the Canadian Princess wharf, hopefully in for a good trip. I really want to Fish Port Renfrew too, maybe park the boat at PGM and stay at Handsome Dans, haven’t been that way since I hiked the west coast trail with my old man in the 90’s. I always look for a place with a kitchen, not into eating out every meal.
We have fell in love with Ukee, great fishing and fish retention options, awesome people ( so far ) still has the small town vibe. Lots of price points for accommodation. Ample marinas with room and options if booked in time. Good variety of restaurants when in the mood, decent grocery store for the do it yourselfer. Easy drive in access for even the larger tows. It is getting pricey for accommodations though for people like us that go in for a week or more but still one of the better options out there for sure. Going to be a while until we look at something different.

We have fell in love with Ukee, great fishing and fish retention options, awesome people ( so far ) still has the small town vibe. Lots of price points for accommodation. Ample marinas with room and options if booked in time. Good variety of restaurants when in the mood, decent grocery store for the do it yourselfer. Easy drive in access for even the larger tows. It is getting pricey for accommodations though for people like us that go in for a week or more but still one of the better options out there for sure. Going to be a while until we look at something different.
Do you fish mostly on the outside or inside?

I've stayed at Port Eliza, Critter Cove, and Nootka Island lodge. They all have BYOB plans, depends with different amenities, depends on what fits you best. I would return to any of them.

Do you fish mostly on the outside or inside?
Both. Theres kind of 3 options around there. Theres offshore, inshore and inside and generally all offer opportunities depending on species, weather and regulation restriction.

Last edited:
Stayed at Moutcha Bay the last few years. Their pricing has become a bit ridiculous. Mini yurt is now $450/night and the smallest suite in the lodge is now $550/night. Moorage is extra on top of that.

I’m booking for this years classic in tofino rite now Any advice for our first time.

I know that @Port Eliza Fishing has a good one, I’ve been looking at doing one as well, they’re my top choice.
Port Eliza has been getting busier every year as the word has been getting out. So close to the fishing grounds and depending on the time of year and if they have room but you can custom build your trip (take your boat, sleep in their rooms, tie up and sleep on your boat, order all three meals or just what you need, cook on their bbq, ...) They also have fish processing at the same price it was four years ago. Talk to Robert. Good guy.

I want to find something too for myself and 2 sons in June.Hope I'm not too late.
My dad, brother and I have done a BYOB trip the last couple of years, always a great and entertaining adventure. One in Port Renfrew (summer 2021) and the other Bamfield (summer 2022).

Port Renfrew: A bit of an unorthodox trip. Stayed at West Coast Trail Lodge, got great rates. Moored the boat at Pacific Gateway Marina. Pre cooked, bbq, and packed all our food in coolers for the trip. Dropped our fish off every day to get processed at place right beside the marina.
Pros: able to have the truck and pack in/out as much gear, food, etc. Cons: Dont have direct access to boat and have to drive to marina.

Bamfield: Stayed at Mckay Bay Lodge, awesome staff, nice people, clean, great lodge and amenities. They supplied light breaky and lunch, sit down dinner. They have options available to rent a lodge with kitchen space i'm pretty sure. Processed all our own fish, they have a big walk in freezer.
Pros: Dock is steps away from your bed, don't have to shelp gear/fish very far, tinker with the boat to your heart's desire. Cons: small meals, would highly recommend bringing more food. Only boat access so need to be aware of weight, weather, etc to make the run to/from port alberni.

Both have their own pros and cons depending on what you need. Both marinas have gas and gear close by, and obviously great fishing. This year we are going back to Port Renfrew, rented an Air BnB to be able to process our own fish, cook, and do our own adventure.

Hope this helps the dad and sons trip are a good time.

I’m booking for this years classic in tofino rite now Any advice for our first time.
Last year was our first too, but learned a bit. The tournament winning fish usually comes from Portland point or Wilf rock area. Friday check in was great, there was lots of free swag and got to meet Brendan. The My Catch app is hard to get used to, the first fish we measured with a pic and then released without a release picture so our fish was disqualified.
When the family wanted calmer water, we ran up to Catface and Clifford Pt, for some great Coho action.
overall the derby is a fun experience but not a huge fan of TRM. The marina works, but staff operations is done much better at other resorts.

Last year was our first too, but learned a bit. The tournament winning fish usually comes from Portland point or Wilf rock area. Friday check in was great, there was lots of free swag and got to meet Brendan. The My Catch app is hard to get used to, the first fish we measured with a pic and then released without a release picture so our fish was disqualified.
When the family wanted calmer water, we ran up to Catface and Clifford Pt, for some great Coho action.
overall the derby is a fun experience but not a huge fan of TRM. The marina works, but staff operations is done much better at other resorts.
Thx so much for the info. Just doesn’t feel rite going to places With little knowledge thankfully this page is available for info and to ask these ? Thx again.

Back