Releasing springs ---net, gaff, or tossing back a bleeder.......?

Hey Libbs...

Lots of articles on the web about proper fish handling techniques and arguments for the use of rubber-meshed nets. The one Poppa Swiss refers to is a good place to start.

There was also a very detailed study of spring salmon mortality vs. the type of gear that was used conducted by Nat. Resource Consultants for the Pacific Management Council that might be of interest:

http://www.pcouncil.org/wp-content/uploads/sttb20302.pdf

Look at the difference in mortality between artificial lures and bait---it's a real eye opener!

Here's an article specific to mortality in C&R fisheries and the type of nets that were used---makes a strong argument for rubber meshed nets (or not using any net at all):

http://catch-n-release.org/uploads/Fish_Res_2003.pdf

There are also studies that were done on scale-loss and fin abrasion on steelhead and coho smolts--- I didn't know this but scale-loss not only promotes fungal infections but it disrupts osmoregulation (transfer of fluids back and forth through the skin and gills to regulate salinity and expel waste products etc) For a spring salmon or coho (spending their lives in both salt water and eventually, fresh water) I can imagine that scale-loss and the resulting damage from scale-loss from thumping on a deck in a notted net, then being held up for a photograph before being "released" is not a good thing.

I also learned that while it's thumping on a deck, the lamellae in the gills collapse so it's basically choking to death. I don't want to sound like a freaking nanny but after reading all this stuff, it basically reinforced my convictions that a spring that's going to get released should not come out of the water. Period.

Here's a nice pic. showing a gaff release:

FISHINGCATCHRELEASE0001.jpg

You can also see the language----"it is unlawful to bring a wild salmon aboard a vessel etc etc...."

I can see this coming to West Coast Canadian waters in the future, especially with the sensitivity for Fraser River stock
I think us sporties might as well get used to this type of regulatory scrutiny and potential regulatory compliance and start educating our brothers on proper handling techniques.

I saw the learning curve when C&R was first mandated in steelhead fisheries back in the 80's--- for the first few years you'd see the "released" fish dead in back-eddies. They stuck out like sore thumbs, the resulting mayhem of guys who'd never C&R's a fish before--dragging it up onto a beach, tearing out the hook, then booting it back into the water.

Nowadays, you don't see the bodies in the back eddies any more. It's a healthy result of the learning curve, and it's refreshing to see more and more responsible fisherman sensitive to the resource and showing it the respect it deserves while on the water practicing their sport.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's usually pretty easy to tell if a spring is legal at the side of the boat. If it's clearly over the minimum size the net comes out and it gets checked at the side of the boat before coming in. If it's legal and you have slots left bonk it. If it comes to the side and is small the pliers come out and it gets released without leaving the water.

When we get down to our last slot even the smaller legal springs get unhooked and released at the side of the boat unless it's deep hooked. If it's deep hooked then out comes the net and our trip is done.

The slot restrictions imposed by dfo can make things difficult. Now you have to measure the damn thing to see if it fits into the 5cm slot. That's probably causing more harm than anything.

I find that I release more fish than I keep and always use the gaff release or needle nose pliers. Both are within reaching distance on both sides of my boat. If the fish is gill hooked or bleeding profusely it gets bonked. Chinook seem to swim away without too much of a problem. Coho however are a different matter. No matter how hard or soft you play them it seems that rather than catch and release it is kill and release. These fish would be better off kept for the BBQ however DFO in their incredible wisdom ...

h.e.h.

Just watching Nice Fish Jr I don't recommend anyone learns catch and release techniques from Dylan or his guide Thor.

I have a soft knotless net and used to think it was sufficient but this thread has made me think otherwise. Fishing out of Ukee last week I decided to learn to use the gaff to release fish and instructed my crew that no fish should be netted unless it was a keeper. In the beginning things went a bit sideways a couple of times, but after a while it was not all that hard to use the gaff to release the fish untouched.

I would think that the procedure is more difficult on a boat with self bailing deck and high gunnels?

Thanks for a very good and eye opening thread!

johan

Maybe getting a bit off topic here, but... To me some of this is moot as long as guys are weeding through to keep the big ones. If you're keeping the fish, then fine; bonk what you catch and move on. However, if guys are planning on sending some back, the smaller (often hatchery) fish should be the ones that end up on the BBQ. Chucking back small often hatchery fish whether dead or alive does little to keep the stock healthy. It seems the bigger wild springs are getting rarer; how do we preserve them?

Back