Releasing springs ---net, gaff, or tossing back a bleeder.......?

Sharphooks

So, at the risk of ruffling some feathers, I thought I’d bring something to the table for discussion purposes.

I'm hearing about all these big spring numbers, all this high-hooking going on, people "weeding" through fish, presumably trying to get something bigger
(a move the commies commonly refer to as "high-grading") One recent post mentioned a 30 fish day....wow...

So we've all been in a position where there's a pile of fish around and all you have to do is drop the gear in the water and boom, one more notch in your belt in the numbers game....

But the question is-----how are these guys turning all these weeder fish loose, all those puny 12-15 lb springs that stand between them and their dream tyee.....??

A few days ago, in the Bamfield thread, I was quietly applauding Fog Ducker, who in response to yet one more stellar fishing report, felt he had to post the following:

...."So , Salmon definately leveled off , still Good , not Hot like 2 weeks ago , we moved around alot , tried ta get out of the 10-12lb cookie cutter fish , just not that easy ta do ,
so , rather than send the bleeders away , we bonked our fish responsibly ,moved on ,Its just what the Sound has right now , there are a few larger fish , BUT , not that many , whack em and stack em , get out !! m2b ( i seen 2 smaller floater injured springs get jacked by the eagles at Kirby ) , love the guys that net em , wrestle with them for 3-5 minutes , release them ??? )

UNQUOTE

Fog Ducker was absolutely right---the responsible move is to give a legal fish the wood shampoo and then move on to bigger and better things once you've limited out. That would be the responsible thing to do, even though there's no reg that says you have to do that.

But if you can't tear yourself away from all that hot action, the secondary responsible move you can consider is to PUT THE FREAKING NET AWAY.

Felix's description of guys netting a fish, wresting it on the deck for 3 to 5 minutes, then flipping it over the side is a move I see waaaaaay too often in the June/July fishery in Bamfield

I also saw that way too often with coho last fall, both in Uke and Pt Hardy---netting a freaking coho then throwing it back over after the guy on the rod concluded it was wild because he only saw the fin after the fish was flopping on his deck--- What’s up with that?

I think it should be mandatory for sport boats to carry gaffs, and it should be common practice for fishermen to shake fish they have no intention of keeping while they're still in the water. It’s easy as pie:

1)) Grasp the leader (a glove helps so you don’t get cut by the line)
2)) Slip the bend of the gaff into the curve of the hook
3)) While holding the leader taut, pull upwards with the gaff to dislodge the hook so the fish NEVER LEAVES THE WATER

It's a quick efficient way of sending a fish on its way, and no way does it beat up the fish like putting them in a net, especially the old-style knotted twisted poly braid that is just about the No. 1 way to cause scale-loss on a spring.

I generally fish alone. When I do a destination fishery like Uke or Bamfield for 4 to 5 days, it's pretty hard not to high-grade fish, or at least release fish early in the trip and just keep them on the last two days for freshness purposes.

But if and when I bust a catch and release move, it's with a gaff---THE NET STAYS IN THE ROCKET-LAUNCHER UNLESS I PLAN ON KILLING A SPRING.

PERIOD.

....."Man, this jerk sounds like he own the fish. What's up with all that attitude?...."

Well, funny you should say that. A lot of those fin-clipped fish, those dip-ins to Barkley Sound that you guys are pounding....I indirectly did pay for those fish (with my fishing license, punch-card and recreational parking permit). So I guess that does make me a concerned stake-holder

But that's besides the point. It's just respect for the resource and using common sense when practicing our sport

Not trying to offend anyone here--- I just have seen way too much of the net thing and pretty much zero of the gaff thing when people are into fish hot and heavy in that neighborhood.

Thanks for indirectly starting this thread, Felix.

Sorry I dragged you into it but I had to bring this up to see how right or wrong I am with my assumptions and observations about how all this high-grading is being conducted out on the water

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally agree. Your a tool if your netting released fish. Some guys on this site are posting pics of them with fish they bragged were released but the fish are missing scales and the guys standing in the boat having clearly netted it.

Great Post

totally agree ,
i think some people might be exaggerating on the 30 fish a day : ) , that is just not the case for most ,
there are guys that definitely get dialed in , and weed through there fish responsibly, the fish dont even come outta the water , YES a gaff , or a large pair of ss needle nose pliers are a must , i find the gaff ta be a bit rough on my spoons ,

most guys are pretty good out there , I'ts just the one or two that need ta get on board

alls good , hv a great long wknd fellas

fd

Fully agree and I am often disgusted too watching the carelessness by some. I frequently use the pliers for releasing fish beside the boat without touching the fish. Since I mostly fish bait I use trebles and they are released best with pliers. If I see the hooks deep or difficult it automatically becomes a keeper.

I use the pliers mostly but I also think it helps to use a heavier pound test that one can get away with. I fish 40# on my main line and 30# leaders in the spring (jan to may) and 40# - 50# leaders for the rest of the season. Being able to bring a fish in quickly for release is important.

I might be wrong...... but if you plan on releasing a fish when using bait and it looks difficult to get the hooks out for whatever reason (tandem singles, treble single...whatever), then its better to just snap off a hook than to net the fish and wrestle it out. A barbless hook wont hurt the fish as it will fall out within a day or two.

Gaff, pop the hook if releasing. Headshot if keeping.... Multi-purpose tool :). Kind of funny, used to think a gaff was a bit overkill, until I got comfortable using it as a release tool. Net is only for panic situation (net it myself w/rookies on board, or something i can't "one arm" over the side.) Net has stayed dry for quite some time ! (unfortunately)

Ill use the net to detain it with it still in the water if its a big fish and NEVER will haul it out of the net and out of the water to "take a photo" a fish out of water is a dead one in my opinion to may thing can go wrong.
Other than that pliers or the guick flip of the gaff works for me.

wolf

I have had a few days where catch and release is my practice either because Ive limited on springs and am trying to pick up a couple coho or just cause the fishing is hot..... Once a fish is put in a conventional net it's dead IMO. Those soft "catch and release" nets are ok but still rough on a fish.
I never net any fish I intend on releasing and if it is a nice one I would like a picture of it gets tailed.

It's also the same reason I don't use stingers or tandem hooks.

Cheers,
Mike

good post, glad to see it!

I'll follow up, if you MUST net fish for the love of god spend $20 and get a release net replacement bag for your scotty. Its cheap, simple and they are just as big as the original scotty bags but they are soft mesh. I NEVER see these but I think they should be on every net.

it depends on how much time you have wrestled with any fish. if that fish comes in and is barely moving around its pretty easy to reach down with the pliers and get the hook out. but that same fish is going to have a difficult time recovering simply because of lactic acid buildup, same as running and your muscles bunching up. this is really easy to do with those single action reels you'all are so fond of using. if the fish is played agressively and comes in hot to the boat, i'll net the fish but keep it in the water while i look it over. its simply a way of calming the fish and keeping it from thrashing around and injusing itself. a release, in the water, from the C&R net is duck soup easy.

play'um hard and fast if you intent is sorting and releasing. just because they swim away does not mean they survive.

Lots of good points. I'm going to try a rubber coated net this summer for the same reason wolf posted. 20+ lb fish can be really tough to release with pliers or a gaff unless you over play them.

Great Post

totally agree ,
YES a gaff , or a large pair of ss needle nose pliers are a must , i find the gaff ta be a bit rough on my spoons ,
most guys are pretty good out there , I'ts just the one or two that need ta get on board
alls good , hv a great long wknd fellas fd

X2 I have a pair of pliers in my back pocket - ez peazy. (As chris73 says: "No touching the fish".)
No one had a net when we were kids - the boats were too small and nets were too expensive. Gaffs were home-made. Close to the water the gaff made great sense - still does (when used properly.) Just 2 tools - both have a time and place.

There are some C&R steelhead fisheries that require the use of rubber nets. In fact, there's a fine assessed if you're in a boat and not carrying a rubber meshed net (Hoh River on the Olympic Peninsula)

I can imagine such a requirement eventually being introduced in the salt water, especially when the regulatory guys think it's time to protect wild fish that co-mingle with hatchery stock ---better then shutting down a fishery, I suppose.

I agree that using needle nose pliers or a gaff on a larger fish you're intending to C&R is sometimes tough---the rubber mesh might be a better option to get him to calm down so you can get your gear back.

However, there are pretty detailed studies that have been done on the mortality rates associated with a catch and release fishery for springs--- it's much higher then you would think, especially after watching a fish swim away that appears to be in good condition. Scale loss is the killer. Notted poly nets are definitely the worst offenders for promoting that type of scale loss.

There are more and more pictures showing up on this site of guys holding springs for hero shots, then pictures of these same guys turning the fish loose. My guess is, those fish were netted and brought into the boat for that hero shot. I think these guys probably congratulate themselves, thinking they are doing the resource a favor. It's a pity they haven't read the same mortality studies I have on what that type of handling does to spring.

They are one of the least resilient fish I know-- steelhead put up with waaaay more abuse (netting, handling, hero shots) then a spring will. Not sure why

Yes my net is rubber coated and big I only use the net to contain the fish with the bag in the water still I NEVER take it out and hold it for me personaly our hands take off the protective slime (from what ive read) then get the hook out wait a bit then let it go.

You could beat this all day long as some people believe holding is good some dont, one thing you have to remember is especially big fish there used to being suspended in water you take them out some things dont make it too much weight on there internal oragns etc they live in water for a reason.

wolf

Results of the 2001 Marine Recreational Chinook Catch and Release Mortality Study at Work Channel and Dundas Island, British Columbia
http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/Library/282138.pdf

A total of 157 adult chinook were captured and held for short-tenn observation
(<24 hours). A total of 16 fish died. Short-tenn mortality rates were not significantly
different (p>0.05) for ehinook captured on motor-mooched herring (0.091,95% c.l.
0.042-0.167), or trolled herring from downriggers (0.121, 95% c.1. 0.049-0.236). The
combined gear mortality rate was 0.102 (95% c.l. 0.062-0.163).

Basically its about 10% of all released springs will die, even if they look healthy and swim away.

I'm not saying anybody shouldn't be doing C&R but its important to understand the mortality numbers if you do - its a personal choice from there.

Yes my net is rubber coated and big I only use the net to contain the fish with the bag in the water still I NEVER take it out and hold it for me personaly our hands take off the protective slime (from what ive read) then get the hook out wait a bit then let it go.

You could beat this all day long as some people believe holding is good some dont, one thing you have to remember is especially big fish there used to being suspended in water you take them out some things dont make it too much weight on there internal oragns etc they live in water for a reason.

wolf

thanks wolf, that is the procedure all of us need to adopt. the interesting thing, if you read a bit, is the mortality of the fish we all see swim off as if everything is ok. the more we can do to 'cause no harm' the better it is for the fish and our fishing future.

Back