Recipe for Smoked canned salmon??

Islandgirl

Anyone have a recipe for smoked canned salmon? I have tasted St.Jeans and really liked it, much better than just plain canned salmon.

I used glass jars to can salmon, if that makes a difference in the recipe.

Thanks

I use my smoke salmon brine for canned smoked salmon , with the exception ,I use very little salt in the brine, don't brine as long 16-20 hours instead of 30-40 hours, and don't smoke as long .I only smoke for maybe 2 hours not the usual 8-10 hours , the canning process really intensifys the flavour.

You can also can a piece of smoked with fresh unsmoked, 50/50 of each, and the fresh piece takes on the smoke flavor after canning.

Thanks for the ideas..I will give it a try.

A friend gave me a jar of canned smoked salmon the other day, just to try to see if I liked it, and I did:D He does not brine the meat, just cool smokes it for 2 hours then into the jars and adds the 'other' ingredients and continues as normal canning.

I have not tried it yet myself, but it sure sounds (and tastes) like it would work.

Tom

I do the regular brine and 2 hr smoke method , regular canning on glass jars

just did a batch of pinks

spread it on bread , cover with your fav cheeze and toaster oven till toasted ,,,,mmmmmmmmmm

the best lunch ever

Well I did the regular brine and smoked for a couple hours, then canned..Turned out way better than the stuff I had done at St Jeans...I am impressed!

Thanks for all the tips, and special thanks to Eaglemaniac for advice.

HI,

Same canning time, 10 lbs for 100 minutes?

Wayne
First post, just found this forum and have spent the past 2 hours reading....Great!

I met a guide from the Kenai Penninsula that came up to Alberta a couple of years ago to do some Whitetail hunting and he brought some smoked canned salmon with him. It was the best that I have ever had. The trick he said was to cold smoke it first for a couple of hours then can it in the regular manner, this way the flesh remains quite firm. It was cut into strips so that it was easy to pull out of the jar and eat all the while consuming a wobbly pop. :D Striper Sniper

Try dry canning with a little bit of course salt and a couple of tablespoons of liquid smoke.

Back