Questions About Building My New Smoker

the fog ducker

Fellas

I know this could be in the " General " forum , but, looks pretty quiet around here ,
Need to get this project up and going asap , looking for input on where to find certain materials ,
experience on any successfull builds by our members would be great

I am looking to construct a combo cold n hot smoker that is appx 5 ft to 6 ft ( T ) x 3ft ( W ) x 3ft ( D )
Buddy is gonna fabricate , weld the Frame as per my specs , 1 x1 in. angle iron, once completed , i will be needing a sheet metal material to enclose it , thinking 1/8 in. Aluminum or SS ,

# 1 Where is a good place to look for the Sheet Metal ?

I must find some wire racks similar to the ones found on big chiefs ,arround 8 pieces , but bigger , ( 3 x 3ish ) smoker will be built around the size that i find closest to 3 x 3

# 2 Where may i find these racks ?

I am going to elevate the 5 x 3 smoke compartment appx 18in. off the ground on a custom frame with wheels . A smoke generator will be placed a few feet away from the Smoker , on the ground , ducted in by a 5 in. corregated flexible duct, for my Cold Smoking ,

# 3 Suggestion on a Smoke Generator ? have thought about the Bradley Generator , but , the puck thing looks like
a money grab , and not cheap , has anyone found alternatives to Bradley pucks ? alternatives ?

For Hot smoking , I have got a adjustable element saved from a previous system , temperature control and themometer built in , will be plugged in when needed , use a pan like the Big Chief ,placed on the element , easy enough

i live in Van , but travelthe island regularily , so pick up is no big deal

any tips or trix , experiences greatly appreciated , hope to find materials asap

thx in advance

fd

#2 I've seen oven and fridge racks being scavenged and loaded up at the local dump here. Maybe inquire at your's and see if they will let you take them. Cut to size add needed support and insert.

I find a 220 element with a rheostate made into a hot plate works really well giving the higher temp. needed for sausage and yet has wonderful low end control for salmon. If you are looking for oven racks or even the 220 elements-try Sears outlets-ours in Courtenay will let you take whatever you want fro their old trade-ins as they just haul them to the dump every 2 weeks or so

Fogducker look for small disgarded pot-belly stove along with old funace pipes with a baffle in place helps to graduate the smoke make sure u put some elbows in the runs an shape or a cople of u's(stops creasote build up the result of 2 much smoke). I also like to place a fan in the pipe close to smoker entr. some times another fan inside smoker helps improve air flow inside smoker & helps dry fish. a heat (electric or old bbq burner will work) heat can shut off for cold smoke i would also implement some sort of thermostate on outside of smoker so u can check temp inside.Like knotty said scavange stuff from dump,scrap yard,recycle depot ect. hope this helps & yes bradley pucks can add up to the cost thats where they make all that xtra $ but after all who said fishing is cheap. good luck Sammy

Sorry that was an "S" shape or a Zig Zag more pipe can be added for cold smoke! if uneed anymore info contact me ...Sammy

x2 on the oven racks I have found the they hold up great. I just go to the dump and pull them out of the recycled old ovens, little oven cleaner and there all new again. As Spring Fever says if your handy wire up a 220 amp burner and your in business. I would also insulate your box try that rigid blue foam. If you can go with the SS I would go with it. You might also want to add a fan in there some were to aid in the drying process. Having all as a single unit on wheels is a good idea so it is easy to move around. When you want to cold smoke just remove your smoke generator and add your flexible metal tubing. Just a few ideas for you to mull over. Hope to see some pictures when she all done.

thx so far guy's

just threw a tape measure on my oven racks here at home , a little on the small side ,again , really looking for around 36 x 36 , the smoker will
also be used for sausages , hams , other various meats , trying to make this a larger smoker to accomodate the larger loads , i will
have poles integrated inside when needed to hang sausages , salami's etc..

the 240 Volt burner makes sense ,Electrician by trade ,lol,,
160 to a 190 is what is needed for hot smoking i believe , that i will have to experiment with once built ,
yes a variable speed fan is in my design , to be adjusted in the smoke to drying process accordingly ...

keep the coming boy's

thx

fd

On oven racks, 2 16x36 racks per level might be easier to deal with during the smoking process than 1 large rack per level. ESP if you find you have uneven heat levels.

For oven racks and the like have a look @ used restaurant equipment supply places.

Dunlevy comes to mind but there are are a number around town.

For oven racks and the like have a look @ used restaurant equipment supply places.

Dunlevy comes to mind but there are are a number around town.

X2 on the restaurant supply stores. They take in older units and scrap them for parts, there is one in Lantzville (North Nanaimo) Called Jemco I belive. Also check these places out for bakery display racks I can't recall the dimensions but they could work if you cut them down to size. If that doesn't work out they may be a custom job, if your buddy has a wire feed or a tig welder, just get S/S rod the size you want and cut, make a simple jig and weld em up, then you get exactly what you want. But free is definately better :).

Sheet metal from any fabricator, they should be able to break it for you to reduce the number of weld seams and time to make. S/S WILL be expensive.

Bradley puck system looks easy and seems as though it would be simple to integrate, but now you have to use their pucks or figure out a way to make your own?? Or... use an element (only bigger) - like the big chief system - and make a smoke generator box of your own that uses chips in an old cast iron fry pan. Simple metal box with duct out top with damper/fan to the smoker.

Sounds like fun, one day I want to make a REAL Smoker, the big chief does OK, but I can eat the goodies it makes faster than it makes them LOL.:D

Good luck! Let's see some Pics (from start to finish would be cool).

Go to the bcauction.ca website and go through the restuarant equipment listings. They got all sorts of stuff.....if not today, maybe tomorrow. Figure out "about" what size of racks you want and if you see the number of racks you want of a close size buy them and then build the smoker to size for the racks. No cutting and then trying to reinforce the racks. Making the smoker 1-3" in. different that planned should be no big deal. I would go with SS sheeting.

My sister is a cook at a local pub, remembering this thread, I asked her how big the racks on the pizza oven was. Her answer was "about 3 feet by 1.5 feet." Sounds about perfect for a double rack per level of the smoker you were making. Googling pizza ovens now, hopefully I can get you a link soon.

Hi FD.

One poster mentioned you can use fridge racks. Just thought I'd let you know that is not a good idea. I've read that using fridge racks can leech dangerous metals into your smoked products. Just FYI in case anyone was planning on using an old fridge or the racks to make a smoker.

Fog Ducker,

I've designed you a new smoker. It's a little bigger than you wanted, but I'm sure you'll find the "self cleaning" and other features well worth it!

smokehouse.jpg

Hi FD.

One poster mentioned you can use fridge racks. Just thought I'd let you know that is not a good idea. I've read that using fridge racks can leech dangerous metals into your smoked products. Just FYI in case anyone was planning on using an old fridge or the racks to make a smoker.

Very good point and bad wording on my behalf. I only wished to convey oven and fridge racks where what I saw scavenged at the dump. Some of those fridge racks looked to be from very old fridges and all metal. I would not vouch for their safety when used in a heated environment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back