cold smoking salmon

the butcher

Trying cold smoking salmon for first time in upcoming week. Have an electric smoker with an external smoke generator so my electric smoker element won't be on. If I understand correctly, it should be cold smoked anywhere between 12-24 hrs depending on how much smoke you want and smoked between 70-90F. If I continue to cold smoke overnight, how do I ensure it doesn't get below 70 degrees if i dont have any sort of heat source? Any advice would be appreciated. Seems like the brine is similar to a dry brine for hot smoking and you do everything prep wise such as develop pellicle over a fan or in fridge overnight. What happens if you are cold smoking and the temps inside smoker drop below 70 dur to overnight drop in outside temperature ?

Going below your cold smoke temp won’t hurt your fish, you only have to worry about going above 85 or so when you have the heat on.

I only cold smoke towards the end of October or later. I like the Cool out door temperature then. I use the Bradley smoker with traeger pellets. Only the smoke generator goes on. It's in the smoker 3 to 4 days. I add smoke a couple times a day.

I only cold smoke towards the end of October or later. I like the Cool out door temperature then. I use the Bradley smoker with traeger pellets. Only the smoke generator goes on. It's in the smoker 3 to 4 days. I add smoke a couple times a day.
3 to 4 days?! Does it come out like more traditional shelf stable jerky?

I smoked mine for 1 hour but to each their own.

May I ask how you feed the pellets into the Bradley? Forgive my ignorance, I just received a Bradley for my birthday and I’ve yet to use it. You can write volumes on what I don’t know about using it. I’ve always been a big chief guy. This is interesting what you’re doing there.

May I ask how you feed the pellets into the Bradley? Forgive my ignorance, I just received a Bradley for my birthday and I’ve yet to use it. You can write volumes on what I don’t know about using it. I’ve always been a big chief guy. This is interesting what you’re doing there.
what bradley did you get?

You will love it. It only takes pucks. Other models I think use pellets. I have the same unit. So much better than the big chief.

I don't feed them. I just put a tablespoon of pellets on the little tray where the puck would sit. I do this 3-4 times a day with the smoke element on for 20 minutes. The fish sitting in the smoker is part of the curing process.

I don't feed them. I just put a tablespoon of pellets on the little tray where the puck would sit. I do this 3-4 times a day with the smoke element on for 20 minutes. The fish sitting in the smoker is part of the curing process.
Ok, thank you. The pucks aren’t cheap. Lol

Ok, thank you. The pucks aren’t cheap. Lol

My awesome neighbour turns pucks for us on his lathe, they work great. They feed perfectly but last much longer so the auto feed isn’t helpful, I end up dropping a new one on the heat pad every hour. I assume a piece of wood the right diameter and a chop saw would do just as well.

Last edited:
I don't like the flavour of the pucks...kinda tastes like there is glue in them to me. A bag of Traeger pellets last forever.
would you do the same thing if you were smoking other meats? what I mean is do you open the door and add pellets every hour while smoking other things? how long does a small pile of pellets smoke for? a bradley puck is 20 mins. I am now curious. thanks

There's these too.

8173raUnMYL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

would you do the same thing if you were smoking other meats? what I mean is do you open the door and add pellets every hour while smoking other things? how long does a small pile of pellets smoke for? a bradley puck is 20 mins. I am now curious. thanks
Rob: get one of these. A tray is good for 10 hours. I have used one since the smoke generator on my old Bradley gave out. You won’t regret it. https://www.amazon.ca/A-MAZE-N-AMNPS5X8-Pellet-Smoker/dp/B007ROPJ1M

Back