Question About Downrigger Rod---Sage 4120

I can confirm that Brian Babcock will be building custom sage rods. He did not buy the companys, he just has a deal to order a large quantity of blanks each year. He can be contacted thru his old store located in Coquitlam BC. It is called sea run and fly. The only problem is that he will not be able to deliver any until September at the earliest. I wanted on but couldn't wait that long, so I bought the new Trophy XL Titan rod. Apparently this is his design. I will let you know how it works :)

I have a 4120 built for a levelwind reel to sell if anyone is looking for one.

It was built by Brian Babcock.

hey KH, do you fish your 4120 with guides pointed at the sky (with a level-wind) or guides pointing at the water (with a pin-type reel like an Islander etc)??

I was told that if you "load" a rod and see that it doesn't have a nice parabolic arc that goes from the tip and more or less extends all the way through to the butt, not to use it as a downrigger rod

My 4120 flexes at the tip but the flex ends right at the mid-ferrule--that would worry me in a downrigger under constant max pressure.

It sounds like that's not a concern with the 4120? I like loading a downrigger rod as hard as possible with the clip on max tension

hey KH, do you fish your 4120 with guides pointed at the sky (with a level-wind) or guides pointing at the water (with a pin-type reel like an Islander etc)??

I was told that if you "load" a rod and see that it doesn't have a nice parabolic arc that goes from the tip and more or less extends all the way through to the butt, not to use it as a downrigger rod

My 4120 flexes at the tip but the flex ends right at the mid-ferrule--that would worry me in a downrigger under constant max pressure.

It sounds like that's not a concern with the 4120? I like loading a downrigger rod as hard as possible with the clip on max tension

As a rigger rod I mostly use my Shimano 2000GT on the 4120, so the rod guides point down but I have used my Shimano Charter special lever drag level wind, so the load on the rod is reversed & the guides are point'n up with no issues.
The line never touches the rod blank because the last time the tip section was replaced I had 13 guides wrapped & the spacing was closer together @ the tip & gradually spread apart towards the feral

The biggest bonus on my 4120 is the adjustable reel seat, I can position a center pin reel near the but section or a knuckle buster near the upper portion of the cork and a level wind @ the mid portion. my next 4120 will have the same setup

Kh

My plan was to use a single action center pin type reel. So it sounds like you've used the 4120 as a downrigger rod long-term and I shouldn't have to worry about beating on that rod---it'll handle the strain of constant flex with no problem?

I know it's a burly rod but there's zero flex going fast the ferrule toward the butt--wasn't sure if you could break a rod that was that stiff.

Back