Quatsino in September?

My wonderful wife has booked us a trip to Quatsino September long weekend. What can I look forward to? Will there still be some salmon around? Most of the salmon fishing I've done has been around Galiano Island (my friend has a cabin) and Campbell River (another friend lives there). The quide says he'll get us in to salmon, but we'll have to travel a fair distance for them. Where would we be going? He said cod and halibut should be no problem though.

I've never been this far north on the island, so have no idea what to expect. The only other place I've fished up there is in Hakai Pass. And that was many, many years ago when I was a teen.

Thanks for any info!

You'll either be fishing the Mahatta, Koprino, cliffe point, kains island or lippy point. I doubt you'd head towards rupert inlet, but if the coho have moved in then they mill there. Usually later though, more like the middle of the month of sept enroute to the marble river.

You're probably meeting them in Coal Harbour I am guessing, which is a great place to crab. Plus its paved the whole way there, a plus no matter which way you slice it. But make sure you dont leave belongings in your car if you park it there. I've had things walk away on me in coal harbour before.

Mahatta and Koprino arent on this map, but the other spots are.
http://www.salmonuniversity.com/vin_quatsino_sound.html

The coho fishing is excellent in quotsino in early sept-Where would he be going? Depends where the lodge is-have a look at a chart most good Coho fishing is off Koprino, the mahatta, the marble and any place you spot jumpers. You cannot keep any Springs in quotsino above Cliffe pt. however 20 lb Coho are not uncommon. Are there any Springs seaward? It is very spotty and quite honestly I would content myself with chasing monster coho with light tackle in the sound. I drive all the way from Comox just to fish Coho-we call it gentlemens fishing cause we don't have to fight the swells and we use light tackle. I'm sure it will be a blast because we seem to have no shortage of coho's this year. Relax-there are salmon around and have a good time.

Thanks HeavyC. Cool map, never been to that site before. They are picking us up in Coal Harbor. It's about a 20 minute boat ride to the lodge. I'll make sure to empty the car of everything. Mmmm crabs.... I love them. I'm sure I'll be eating a few of them during the weekend.

Thanks SpringFever. I like coho. Any chance they'll bite the fly? I'm a stillwater fly guy most of the year, but do enjoy salmon and cod fishing as well. Just don't get to do it a lot. If the wife enjoys it, might be able to talk her in to letting me buy a boat, someday.

I'm staying at Eagle Manor, if that's makes any difference as to where we will be fishing.

Sounds like I have a good chance at getting into some good fish. Starting to get excited already. Thanks for the info guys. Really appreciate it!!

Tulameentrapper, I have fished Rupert Inlet over the last couple of seasons with a fly for coho. You definitely need a fast full sink line and a 7 or 8wt rod. We found that even though the fish are jumping you have to go deep and strip in your fly, we usually try to fish in less than 40 ft. of water. If that isn't working and you need to take fish, then a spinning rod with buzz bombs is your ticket. You might have to be very patient using the fly, but it's worth it once you hook into one.

Thanks SpringFever. I like coho. Any chance they'll bite the fly? I'm a stillwater fly guy most of the year, but do enjoy salmon and cod fishing as well. Just don't get to do it a lot. If the wife enjoys it, might be able to talk her in to letting me buy a boat, someday.

I'm staying at Eagle Manor, if that's makes any difference as to where we will be fishing.

Sounds like I have a good chance at getting into some good fish. Starting to get excited already. Thanks for the info guys. Really appreciate it!!

Tulameen trapper: when you say you are from PoCompton, does that actually mean Port Coquitlam? Cause if
so, that is the funniest thing I have seen and heard today! Lived there for eight years. Couldn't agree more. Shootings and auto theft were commonplace in my hood! I had my Toyota 4x4 and my other car stolen twice and broken into more than I could count. Back in Campbell river now, where I belong.

marble river spring salmon should be at cliff pt 2nd week in aug and into sept the hatchery has been unable to catch brood stock for two years. maybee to many fish farms in inlet cohoes seem to be getting scarce

Back