Quantity or Quality?

No doubt it did.........if you fished Kitty Coleman all those years as there wasn't much there before last year...........:rolleyes:

For me the fun is trying to scratch one up in tough conditions. Almost anyone can fill the coffin when the bite's on. It's fun to rely on your experience and have it pay off and get fish when nobody else can, regardless of size.

If I fish with beginners or wife/kids action is the name of the game, on the other hand if fishing with regulars or by myself....

cheers

I ll take the action on the the 15lbs springs, just think every single hit could be that elusive monster. Good question though that my wife and I often ask each other. I used to be all about that elusive big one, but lately I have realized the busy multiple hookup days are killer and most rewarding.

I say steady but only because I haven't caught a lot of springs , down the line I may feel differently but as of now I just want to enjoy the expierence .

Some of my most memorable experiences are crazy one rod days you get out on the banks. Put the down riggers away and just spoons out back in the prop wash. "It's your turn...no it's your turn...". Wild stuff that doesn't happen very often at all. Very vivid memories :cool:.

If I fish with beginners or wife/kids action is the name of the game, on the other hand if fishing with regulars or by myself....

cheers
Totally agree. If I am out with my nieces/nephews or friends who don't fish alot keep em coming. But if it is just a couple of regulars, you had better believe I want to win that big fish pot, And if it happens to win the first (or only) fish pot all the better!

I like any action LOL but serious as long as I get a few fish on a trip im happy say every 45 mins as it keeps you interested and perked up of course we all want non stop but thats not the norm, and we all want that trophy thats why we keep going looking for the big prize!!!!

Good luck Wolf

On my death bed I'll be remembering the 40 pounder caught in Desolation Sound after 5 straight days of shooting blanks

I probably will not remember the 10 to 15 teeners I got in Barkley Sound for five straight days in a row....

I lose interest when it's non-stop action. Part of the reason I took up fly fishing for steel

X2,sharphooks.When I look through the pictures of springs I've caught over the years,they have one thing in common.
They're all frickin' HOGS!!Those are the memories I wanted to preserve,not the smaller ones.Nowadays I release most of my big ones,and keep the smaller teeners for smoking and canning.
Better table fare IMHO. Size does matter!!

Every single trip out fishing goes in my log book in detail.

I can go back years and relive any fishing trip thanks to the book.

No problem remembering at all......

If you have to write it down, is it really worth remembering? lol No notes need to be taken on hogs! They and the details are engraved into memory.

"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope."

-John Buchan

In my opinion, I don't think the author of above quote was talking about small fish ;)

Numbers are fun for about one day.....pulling slabs off a kelp bed or a rock pile is way more fun. I'm sure my guiding career ruined numbers fishing for me. They need to be over 30# to really pull and over 40# to haul. When you start getting into 30 min plus fights and the rod bent into the cork that's where it's at.....I will put daysssss into searching for fish like that. I'm a quality over quantity guy...

Lots of action but lighten the gear up and loose the flasher. Makes those days 10X better.

-KK

x2 got hooked on catching pinks and coho with the 8 weight and fly reel.

8 hours without a bite is painful imo. I bet 90% of the guys here would say give me some action after 4 hours of not even a bite. Never mind 8!!

Some of my best memories fishing are warm and glassy days with crazy coho action and light gear. I enjoy the adrenaline of a big fish battle, but I won't be forgetting the non stop action days anytime soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope."

-John Buchan

In my opinion, I don't think the author of above quote was talking about small fish ;)

I don't know. When that rod gets tipped, float stops or goes under, your flyline goes taught, evertime for a fraction of a second there is that thought that this could be the big one. I always thought that what Buchan meant. It is not the size of the fish landed, but the possibility of what that fish.

John Buchan was a politician/writer mostly. He spent a lot of time coming up with "quotes".

I don't see many references to Chinook salmon trolling in his works. Probably talking about flyfishing and trout. Fly fishermen think a 4lb trout is a big fish.

Many of the "hogs" people catch were caught by accident while just generally fishing for Chinooks.

You can get "on the fish" but you don't know which one specifically is going to hit your lure.

True, some areas are better for larger fish than others......but there's no guarantee.

Keeping a log book is IMO a good thing......after awhile you start to see patterns, and you know what tackle works when........plus there's lots of other little details that factor in,

You can also log info about what others are using at the time and where etc,,etc...and what kind of a year it was at a certain time and tons of other info.....

All good knowledge.

In my experience just because a fish is bigger does not mean you get the matching fight.

I've had hogs on in the past that basically put up almost no fight at all........whereas I've had smaller ones that fought like they were on steroids at times...

So size doesn't always equal fish re-action.

I've had hogs on in the past that basically put up almost no fight at all.......

PICS or.....?? :)

Seafever, I would have never pegged you as the guy who keeps detailed tackle notes....lol still waiting for "Seafever's ECVI Tackle Encylopedia".....I'd buy it!

In my area the hogs are so few and far between I always go for quantity over quality. If you could guarantee me a tyee after 16 straight hours of nothing ill take it but there are no guarantees so I fish where my best chances of catching fish are and usually that means fun days with lots of fish 8-20lbs. If the Puget sound hatcheries ever start pumping out tyee class fish I'm sure I'll get one.

Back