Quantity or Quality?

Finished Business

A regular debate aboard the boat (usually when its dead slow fishing LOL)....

What day is the one you prefer?

Duration: 8 hour day.

Day 1: Steady action of Chinooks throughout the day, nothing greater than 15 lbs.

or

Day 2: One bite, one fish. 25lbs or greater.

Me? I'll always take quality.

You?

F/B so you're saying that one 25lb'er gives you a 'quality" fish?

Ha ha...everybody knows the winters and smaller springs taste better......

Steady action for me. A big fish is nice, but I would trade 1 for a day full of scrappy teeners any day

OK, maybe lets put the mark @ 30 lbs plus....

Ideally, Day 3. Steady action, with a slobberknocker to boot. lol.

I've had plenty of consistent days with smaller fish. Do I remember them? Hardly.
The big boys on the other hand.....Challenging, elusive, thrilling, memorable. I can detail each run they took years later. I would take those emotions over a day of "anyone want to get that?" in a heart beat.

Seafever, definitely define a large fish as quality. A sporting Salmon starts around the 20's for me. The smaller fish just put in a good effort, but rarely a "fight" :) imo.

KK, a very fair alternative!

My best memories are bigger fish days... So I'd actually say quality (size) over quantity. But I've rarely ever caught a quality fish and it been the only fish of the day..

I'll take all day 15 to 20's over one 40 any day.

Really? You must pop 40's on the regular!

Into the 40's I'd fish days on end without a sniff (and I have) for a shot at anything over 40! When the 41 lb hit the deck....I still yack about it. The 10 days of near fishless trolling leading up to it...a distant, distant memory!

....interesting posts. Im a little surprised actually!

10's,18's, 12's, 28's,14's for Springs.......I don't care as long as I rack up the edible poundage..........

1 fish 25-30 lbs per hour equals a limit for 4 clients = happy me

Little depends for me. If it is a multi-day trip and I had plenty of action for 2-3 days then I get a bit more selective and try for something big or unusual - just to mix it up. For just a 1-day outing - I take action over one hog anytime.

Steady all day over even one tyee. In fact, I would rather catch 10 lbs coho all day than even a few tyee.

But thats just me.

Cheers

SS

I'd pass up days of catch smalls for the odd hog. I hate catching small ones all day long. That got old years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back