Puntledge opening

bgillard, thanks for posting on the rivers mentioned, but what about the Englishmen River. Just asking as I live nearby and would like to fish it for the coho and chum, only interested in catch and release anyway, but I know of others who like to retain their catch.

now that is one id like to know
what are the regs for the Englishman river

I would like to know why people are so afraid to stand up to some of the poarchers out there. I was fishing today when across the river some jerk with a belly hooked fish draged it up on shore and wacked it in front of others. I yelled out poacher some people looked that were not already. But everyone just went back to fishing like nothing happened. I wish my camara phone could of taken a picture from the distance as then I would have posted the guys picture for all to see.

If you see people with wrongly hooked fish encourage them to release them. They will, as they will then know you are watching and that you do care.

quote:Originally posted by fishassassin123

I would like to know why people are so afraid to stand up to some of the poarchers out there. I was fishing today when across the river some jerk with a belly hooked fish draged it up on shore and wacked it in front of others. I yelled out poacher some people looked that were not already. But everyone just went back to fishing like nothing happened. I wish my camara phone could of taken a picture from the distance as then I would have posted the guys picture for all to see.

If you see people with wrongly hooked fish encourage them to release them. They will, as they will then know you are watching and that you do care.

X3

In response to some comments about being afraid or indifferent, I must disagree that this is the normal state of affairs.

I have been fishing meat hole below the "condensory bridge area" for three years now. Pretty much every day of the season. I have caught poachers from the blatant snagger to the forgetful barb crimped and have always immediately but politely informed them of the rules.

I have seen this same behavior from a few other veteran guys and have rarely seen anyone in the know overlook poaching or fishing illegally in any way. As has been previously stated, a camera or cell phone is ideal. I know Bryce quite well but have never had occasion to actually show him any of the photos I have taken... I have found that by clearly photographing someone they pack up and leave immediately.

Don't be confrontational. Be polite and informative and assume a lack of understanding of the rule. Take pictures of unrepentant poachers.

Power to the people. The rivers are ours not theirs.

quote:Originally posted by CohoStudio

In response to some comments about being afraid or indifferent, I must disagree that this is the normal state of affairs.

I have been fishing meat hole below the "condensory bridge area" for three years now. Pretty much every day of the season. I have caught poachers from the blatant snagger to the forgetful barb crimped and have always immediately but politely informed them of the rules.

I have seen this same behavior from a few other veteran guys and have rarely seen anyone in the know overlook poaching or fishing illegally in any way. As has been previously stated, a camera or cell phone is ideal. I know Bryce quite well but have never had occasion to actually show him any of the photos I have taken... I have found that by clearly photographing someone they pack up and leave immediately.

Don't be confrontational. Be polite and informative and assume a lack of understanding of the rule. Take pictures of unrepentant poachers.

Power to the people. The rivers are ours not theirs.

Great 2nd post. I like it[8D].

"I'm not talkin bout pleasure boatin or day sailin......I'm talkin bout workin for a livin"- Captain Quint

Well today I had to make the call. 1-800-465-4336.. Why do people think they can fish in closed areas. I have pictures on my phone which I will try to post of guys fishing up stream of the hatchery fishery boundry. Once these guys got their fish and left the next group moved in and took over. Are people so stupid the they don't notice the boundry marker right over their heads and or across the river from where they stand?

At the same time this was happening 50 yards down river are these guys fowl hooking fish and drifting them into shore and scooping them out with a net. Why?

I would love to see more enforcement at this time of year on the river. The DFO could make a killing on the fines and gear collected.

I am down stream looking up. Check out the boundry and then look down and to the right. Them are poachers. Told you my camera phone pictures suck.
poachers.jpg

Great pic FA!! hahahah

Along the lines of poachers... Where i have been fishing, I havent witnessed much of this. I mean ive seen the odd guy keep a fish hooked in the face that was obviously flossed, but that doesnt really bother me. Especailly if its agross chum which the river is plugged with right now.

never have I caught a salmon or steelhead with a jig, until today..

went down to the Puntledge for only the second time(with rod in hand) this year, and short floatfished only with jigs, I hit and gently landed and released 7 chums,(no coho:() all hooked in the mouth:), I tried 3 different jigs&colors, with all 3 catching fish..

other than not foul hooking any in the back or tail,nice thing was not hanging up on bottom with your hook or weight,

next time out guys/gals give it a try..

fishassassin123,
saw the ZOO @ the bridge(and ran),the fisheries could wipe out our National Debt if they wanted to down there:D:D:([xx(]

quote:the fisheries could wipe out our National Debt if they wanted to down there:D:D:([xx(]

So true...It is sick. Something needs to be done. Just let me say it's not just this system there are others that are just as bad if not worse.

Found: rob / reel combo floating down on the Puntledge River. Well I didn’t find it but the gentleman that did will be putting an ad in the local paper. If you know someone that lost it, let them know to check. It was a nice setup and was surprised that it got away. No, there was no fish attached to it.:(

GLG

wouldnt happen to have been a blue abu garcia reel and a hand tied brownish colored rod would it
my buddy lost his rod down there

Sorry that doesn’t fit the description

Was on the river today and had around 20 big ugly chum on shore. Almost all in the mouth. But I've been hearing about a late coho run with some nice silver fish. Rumor has it they even have lice on them still. Any one seen any nice coho come through lately?

Hooked into at least 2 chrome coho yesterday on the Puntledge.

I do know there is a ton of Coho in the salt still. Maybe they are Puntledge fish.

Back