Puntledge opening

A buddy and I were out this morning at 6 and there were already people on the river. Hooked a couple of fish but never landed anything. Caught a LOT of rocks though. Too bad you can't eat them. Also have to remortgage the house to pay for all the tackle we lost to the snags.

Definitely a challenging river to fish.

Extinction is Forever

Hey Bassblaster you're right, there seems to be a lot more snags in the river this year. I lost at least a dozen set ups. The rocks seem to be biting better than the fish ha ha. The tackle shops must be having a wonderful time. There must be tons of lead in that river. It won't keep me from going though, the best is yet to come!! I saw someone doing very well, catching nearly every cast. He was on the other side of the river to me. I watched him keep dipping into a pouch on the front of his waders and seemed to roll something on to the line near the hook or maybe onto the hook. Whatever it was it worked great. Maybe some sort of scent/bait.

Bryce, I should have had the Radio room phone number today, There were 6 asian anglers in the closed portion of the river below the dam as I left the river today, around 4:00 pm.
Tried to yell at them,but the noise of the water drowned me out. There were also 5 others of apparent same country sitting and watching.
Might be a good idea to check later in the week.
Don

There is a lot of good fisherman on the Puntledge. Don't get me wrong.. But there are alot that should be charged. It must be hard to manage this river and others from top to bottom. I moved here almost 8 or 9 years and have walked this river over and over. Till this year I don't think I have ever fished it do the gong show seen in certain areas. But I bought a license this year and even then the one time I have gone out, some people around me I would have said were poachers in one way or another. But hey maybe they are just learning.

Some peoples children..:)

I am geared up now and ready for round two.

Good on ya FA, some nice coho in there. All those wild ones you were shaking all summer at Kitty :D.

Bryce if you see this, the group to watch is the late comers on the far side of the river, coming in from Cessford. They don't show up until most are leaving the river in the evening. Only place they fish is below the dam, might be standing over the line, but the fish are sure not.

I charge two guys yesterday for fishing in the closure, below the hatchery. They were decent enough guys, I'm just not sure if they didn't know or in some for justified in their mind that they could fish in the closure.

I'm not sure why people think if they stand 30 feet up stream of the boundary signs and then cast further up into the closed pool that they won't be charged. Zero tolerance for fishing in a closure. ($250 minimum fine)

Our boundary signs are pretty obvious.

My partner and I try to get there later in the afternoons. Which side of the river were they on, Tuber trail or Cessford?

Bryce , there were 11 in total, 6 fishing, I was on the Cessford side looking over to the other side of the river,presumably Tuber.
Don

I've seen anglers fishing the closed area immediately below the hatchery on numerous occasions. Flydon is right, it is usually later in the day after the hatchery is closed. Because they can be seen from the hatchery by staff etc. I've seen them on both sides of the river. They like to leave their beer cans and other crap behind for others to pick up.

I generally see them walking in from the Cessford side, and some wading out to the center of the river from there.

Good to hear you've made it out there Bryce, hope word spreads around.

hey guys anyone wanna give me bit of advice where to fish an catch legally a coho with my 10 yr old daughter as im back to work tommorow over seas for while again leaving in half hour any suggs greatly appreciated

Fished the river today but found it a bit slow, had a few on but failed to land any. The guy fishing next to me caught a huge chum which was spawned out and blisters all over it. I didn't think the chum had arrived yet, maybe this was just a very early one. A few coho being caught near the hatchery. I did see three anglers fishing in the pool at the bottom of the tuber trail. It turned out that they were all German tourists and I explained that they were fishing in a closed area. They immediately moved down past the triangles, apologised and said they have never fished the Puntledge before and didn't realise they were doing wrong. I'm hoping the main body of fish are still to arrive in the next two or three weeks.

well was there yesterday an if old chummers is what your after then this is the river to be at seen 1 only 1 chrome coho an it was snagged in the back not to toot my own whistle but thought floosing was for the mouth an teeeth not the back belly tail weight to much weight on an just sinking an jigging these are salmon not cod an the chum i had on were by mouth 8 lb test no way to land these scrappers but eh at least it was hooked right but damn there ugly fish wheres all the hoes this year must still be on hastings in the city lol oh well back to work for 2 weeks someone needs to learn fish identification cant spell ranting an raving newfie have fun all .....

7:30 am first light just wading out to go fishing 200 feet from Condesory Bridge, looks like the morning could be good fishing as i saw big spalsh 200 feet in front of me, secound look it was swimming fast and it was black and it was not an old chum. I never saw a seal that far up before,scared the crap out of me as i was close.

Really, I've seen seals up as far as Puntledge Park. Wondering how long it will be before they get the first one in the hatchery.

quote:Originally posted by gallows

Really, I've seen seals up as far as Puntledge Park. Wondering how long it will be before they get the first one in the hatchery.
In the hatchery maybe one thing:D I don't know about. But as for up to the hatchery, they come up all the time and I only hope some day they are all shot. Sorry to say it but it has got to happen. There are far to many seals in the system. I only wish I could help.

FYI, they are shot at the hatchery. They have a permit for this.:D

quote:Originally posted by fishassassin123

quote:Originally posted by gallows

In the hatchery maybe one thing:D I don't know about. But as for up to the hatchery, they come up all the time and I only hope some day they are all shot. Sorry to say it but it has got to happen. There are far to many seals in the system. I only wish I could help.

Why dont ya bait your hook with a salmon belly and try and catch one of the Seal Bastards, take it home with the rest of your spawners...

kittyjuly1409055-1.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Duffer

Why dont ya bait your hook with a salmon belly and try and catch one of the Seal Bastards, take it home with the rest of your spawners...

kittyjuly1409055-1.jpg

No spawners have come home with me for years. But the thought of hooking one of them seals makes me think that maybe there is a use for my halibut rod. Hook one, then tie the line off to a tree for a while. I know I am a sick man. Any one got some salmon bellies?:)

Back