Pulling Prawn Traps - Great Method!!

Pippen

I know some people just between different forums.....I thought I should share a great way to save money on prawn pullers and that sort of equipment. I had posted this up over on BCFR. The questioned was posed as to what people use for pulling up prawns.

I have said this before.........you take rookies out with you!! Problem solved....low cost....and can be good fun.

Here is how it's done and I don't mind sharing this on an open forum. All you need is prawn traps/bait/boat/buddies/beer/a few shots of hard booze and a 'newb'. Add to that you spend the day listening to Motley Crue, GNR or any music that makes ya feel tough and pumped up.

1.Ensure you have a buddy or two on board that knows what pulling prawn traps is all about.

2.Before you put the traps down....you lift one up and speak to your 'experienced friends' (herein after shall be referrred to as EF) "I must be a wimp because these light traps seem so heavy to me when they get in the water. They must absorb water somehow".

3.This is when EF calls you a jackass because prawn traps can't "absorb water". A trash talking session then ensues resolved by everyone toasting with their beer that I am just a wimp. Then one EF looks at the newb and proceeds to mock Pippen saying I am a *****.

4.This conversatoin moves on to EF saying to the newb "you should show up Pippen and pull the traps; it's pretty easy for us but he's just a wuss."

5.Traps are dropped with a few taunts at Pippen as an EF lifts the traps over the side of the boat "Pippen!! I think I threw out my back lifting this heavy trap....<shakes head> you ARE a wuss!!"

6.As the traps soak the next hours are spent kicking back some beers and getting the newb slightly tipsy and hyping up his/her strength through the mocking of Pippen.

7.This is where the hard booze comes into play. Tequila, Rye, JD are my first choice.(one of those types of booze that can cause an inflation in the mental size of ones testicles) You get the newb to do a shot and then it turns to Pippen and I say "no, I am okay; that stuff makes me sick" [:p]. To which the entire boat turns on you and alludes to me being a wuss and between the "heavy" prawn traps and hard booze I should probably go down below and listen to my Bette Midler music on my Ipod.

8.Now as the time draws nearer to pulling the traps the EF's have to work together. If the EF's don't want to be as tipsy as the newb then they work in tandem always raising a pint and toasting to the newb. Always ensure only one EF is doing the 'cheers' so newb is drinking 2-3 times as much as the EF's. Extra hard booze is great at this point so newb is doing 2-4 shots per each EF doing 1. One of the most highly recommended things to say when toasting is "it's really great to have you here man, it's cool to share this fun with new people". ;)[:eek:)]

9.So once the newb is pretty lubed up it is announced that it's time to go pull the traps and Pippen should really stay back behind and listen to love songs while knitting and getting the hot water for the rest to come back and enjoy a feast of prawns.

10.I strongly object and am allowed to come along with the EF's and newb mocking me continually.

11.As we near the traps the other EF's mock me once calling me a wuss and tell the newb "these ones are yours; f*ck Pippen and his wussy ways".

12.Now I usually grab the line and hand it to the newb saying "I am only allowed to do this; you pull while I listen to Bette Midler".

13.At this point the other EF's ensure that the newb knows that he has to pull the traps quickly and can NOT stop as the prawns will swim out of the trap.

14.As 'tough guy' newb is pulling you ensure you can see the trap on the sounder but he has no idea what you are looking at.

15.Now with the traps down ~300' and the newb pulling as fast as he can the other EF's mock me and say "look at newb; he is really making you look like a wuss....he owns those traps!!"

16.Pippen then admits "ya, I suck.....newb do you want a sip of beer while you are owning the traps??"

17.Generally while pulling the traps REALLY QUICKLY newb will start to tire pretty quickly after about 100'. At this point the EF's and Pippen turn on him and start calling him a wuss and reminding him if he slows down to a crawl or stops the prawns will swim out of the trap.

18.Through this entire time we generally watch the trap(s) coming up on the sonar and have a good chuckle as the winded and tiring newb keeps hearing "you're almost there buddy.....Pippen could never do this" even though he is only half way up.

19.By time the traps are up at the boat we are all laughing and generally the tipsy newb with burning arms, sore lower back but trying to save face is enlightened to the fact that "slow and steady wins the race" when pulling up the traps. [:eek:)]

20.We all have a good laugh and then one of the EF's will pull the remaining trap and show the newb how it's done. There is casual chit chat....a slow steady pull on the line, pausing to sip your beer occasionally or change the music on the stero. Really making it seem like a pleasant experience to enjoy while having a pint out in the sun with good friends.

21.Newb at this point thinks that the joke is great and he will recruit the next newb. [8D] It opens a revolving door to prawn pullers and makes for good fun among the EF's.

22.This is where you head back in and boil up some water.....pour a beer or glass of vino and enjoy the prawns.

You're welcome.....I may have just saved a bunch of you extra $$$$ on equipment to pull your traps. ;) :D

Have you hugged a Gorby today??? ;P

Back