Bauer prawn traps - just so you know

sly_karma

Crew Member
A pair of the Bauer 18x18 traps arrived this week from PNT. They're not just a scaled down version of the 24x24. The ramp angles are steeper, and the centre well for bait and weight is cylindrical rather than square. This means that the 5 lb trap weights they sell for the larger traps don't fit into the smaller ones. PNT was out of the round weights, so I went to my local lead guy and asked if he could make me something. He could, but had no mould ready. I went home and returned with some clean empty cat food cans, he was pouring lead that day so within a couple of hours I had four trap weights ready to go. A pair of side cutters stripped the cans off in no time. One long zip tie holds the weight in place inside the trap so it doesn't tumble around when emptying the trap.

One small (170 g) cat food can produces a 4 lb cylinder weight that fits nicely in the small Bauer traps. Just so you know.

Another observation about Bauer traps. I got a pair of the 18x18s recently, and I find they're way easier to haul up. The reason of course is less drag. Think about it, 1.5'×1.5'=2.25 sq ft, whereas 2'×2'=4 sq ft. So almost half the frontal area, and drag increases by the square, so the difference is obvious. No need to keep the boat in gear to keep the haul vertical with the smaller traps.

Another observation about Bauer traps. I got a pair of the 18x18s recently, and I find they're way easier to haul up. The reason of course is less drag. Think about it, 1.5'×1.5'=2.25 sq ft, whereas 2'×2'=4 sq ft. So almost half the frontal area, and drag increases by the square, so the difference is obvious. No need to keep the boat in gear to keep the haul vertical with the smaller traps.
I re-attached my ropes to one side of the trap to have them pull up sideways. Bigtime improvement. I actually find they have less drag on the drop as well and lay flatter. Never find my traps landing upside down anymore.

Got a picture?
I left one side where it was and just hooked the other end to the same side. So the rope is attached to just one end instead of diagonally across the trap. I also shortened the rope and re-centered the snap, done. No pics, sorry

I wonder if any prawns fall out the door on the bottom side of the trap when you pull it up?
I can't see that happening. They're just pinned to the side and the doors are pretty small. Maybe if you had a couple hundred in there, but I'm not that good.

Back