Public Boat launch in Sooke ?

2nd and 4th Monday of the month.1930 hrs Sooke Municipal Hall. Attend,demand attention to this situation. Be defiant.

Anyone going??

Anyone who has ever enjoyed fishing in sooke and having the convenience of launching in sooke really needs to get behind this. I also know Ken Hales and will try to get some people together to go to the meeting.

quote:Originally posted by saltydawg

2nd and 4th Monday of the month.1930 hrs Sooke Municipal Hall. Attend,demand attention to this situation. Be defiant.

Anyone going??

this feb??

I got a reply from my email to rick Armour who sits on the city council regarding plans for a boat lanuch if any his reply reads:

Sorry for the late reply, I have been away on vacation. I have referred your questions to our CAO as well as mayor and Council to get some official answers for you.

Regards

Rick Armour

lets see if I hear anything more from this point.

Are we screwed?
I don't see alot of local Sooke boys getting too upset about the loss of launch facilities next year.
If you live and fish in Sooke you probably know someone with a dock you can moore at and don't appreciate hordes of lower islanders coming over to cross your lines and crowd your space???
Is local council going to care if you're not on their voters list?

We're screwed.
All I can say is the next time you launch at Becher Bay, thank the local tribe for access. For sure they're getting offers to develop that beautifull little bay. If they were greedy whites they would have cashed in by now.

Maybe I'll have to go back to launching a cartopper past Otter point[V]

Sooke will ultimately lose business, as will the bait and tackle
stores.
The average guy will not wait an hour and then have to park his truck
& trailer on the road to launch at Becher in the busy summer months.
(believe it, it'll happen !)[xx(]
It's too bad that a town that has been linked so closely to salmon
fishing for over 100 years cannot see the light.
They call it progress, it's nothing more than big money to be made
by land owner's and developer's [V]

Then build and build and build but don't build the infrastructure to get all those people to and from work without having to face the traffic nightmare every day!!!!

well on a note about the road to and from sooke - the residents voted against upgrading it, the government was willing.

I just don't think sooke realizes much cash flow from fishing. I for one, gas up the truck close to home and buy most my bait and tackle from island outfitters. Once in a while I might stop at mychosen cafe for lunch on the way home.

So I understand why this wouldn't be a huge priority for sooke, not that I like that fact.

Summer before last I kept my boat at Sooke Harbour Marina. I bought my gas at the payless in sooke as well as some ait and incidentals. I often stopped and did some grocery shopping on the way home as well as some baked goods. Now i keep my boat at cheanuh (I live in Metchosin)and spend zippo in Sooke.
T2

ok ya I should clarify I moore at cheanuh so I never really even enter sooke.

I did fish a season mostly out of Sunny Shores, didn't spent squat in sooke then either though.

I am in agreement that it is questionable how much $$$ fishing brings to Sooke from the locals. It does how ever bring $$$ from visitors.

I don't think it is a question of wether or not the owners of these marinas are doing what is in their best interest financially by selling out. How much money can you be making on a seasonal bases of $8.00 launch fees, camping, moorage...

The problem is that this great recreation enjoyed by many locals and visitors is becoming unaccessible. Should "Sooke" be responsible to keep this available to the public (tax payers)?? Absolutely!!

I believe the government has a certain responsibility to protect our recreational resources and make them accessible. The same thing is going on in our Forest Land.
My children may never have a chance to experiance the great outdoors the way we were brought up.

Oh well... so she'll pick up a crack pipe and hang out outside 7-eleven instead. That should be just as healthy and create many great memories to pass on to her children.

...Don't get me started on that!!!

Tips

Look at all the boats out front of Sooke in the summer. Where are they going to go now?

The only reason I don't spend more in Sooke is everyones closed when I show up before first light and I buy my bait early so I don't risk no or old bait at the launch. I stop for burgers and beer on the way home.
Look at the terrific municipal boat launches in places like Nanaimo, Campbell River, Tofino, Sidney. They're not money makers obviously but they contribute to quality of life for residents just like green spaces, parks etc.
What similar sized waterfront community in BC does not have a launch facility??

Shame on Sooke council. Where's your leadership and vision.

Seems to be an mls thing...i got it too...just have to keep refreshing...maybe weekend maintenance as well....

I saw that ad a few weeks ago, talked with the realator and drove by. It would be a tough build. Also there would be no parking on site, and being at the end of a residential cul de sac, the neighbors may not be too thrilled. Someone would have to convince council to allow for parking in the undeveloped Right of Way that extends behind those lots. They are actually zoned for camping I think; Sookes website has the zoning map.

I was fortunate enough to be able to have bought a lot out at Otter Point RV resort last year. They are a great long term investment and have started to climb as people discover this hidden gem. Private launch and dock. Maximum 20 foot boat. You must launch every time you fish but that only takes a few minutes. This is a top notch facility and a great group of people. Everone from retirees, kids and families. Lots of socializing (drinking beer and telling lies.) Great fishing derbey. I think the lots are still way undervalued at around $75,000. They are zoned RV so there are restrictions pertaining to permanent structures and a maximum of around 186 days per year personal stay (trailers stay year round). There is a permant caretaker. New washrooms, showers, laundry, separate hydro meters, septic, and optional satelite tv and internet. The cleaning station is the nicest I have seen. There are minor rules mostly around the zoning.

Back