Public Boat launch in Sooke ?

Playing devils advocate here. I wonder how many real dollars Sooke realizes by having some boat launches in their community? Any time I go there to fish, I:

A. Purchase my gas in Victoria (on the way to Sooke)
B. Purchase my bait/tackle in Victoria (On the way to Sooke)
C. Purchase my food/bev in Victoria (Before I head to Sooke)

My only Sooke related expenditure is the launch fee.

Just tossing it out there for thought as to why Sooke would be eager to cater to the mostly Victoria crowd?

Granted there's a tourist industry to be supported but, generally speaking, most of those guides taking tourists out have their boats moored in Sooke and are buying a few supplies out there that the majority of us don't. And this group of fishers being looked after by the guides are few in comparison that fish in Sooke compared to the Victoria people who are basically spending almost nil.

Based on all this, I wonder at the end of the day why Sooke would want to support a few local boat launches? Me thinks the tax revenue from condos would be much more lucrative.

hey otter let us ( or me )know about the next council meeting even if I don't live in sooke I can still support and tell how much they could be loseing out on business anways .As for wiffin spit what about sooke anglers association running a boat ramp just like , sidney anglers - tilsta?? park or Esquimalt anglers flemming beach - park .

I have been doing some looking into available land and the zoning for water front properties in the basin. I don't think the hard part is getting a ramp, rather, providing parking for all those trucks and trailers is a bigger issue.

Is there a Sooke Anglers Association? Where do you find them?

A Boat launch may not bring in much tax revenue for Sooke however it would create traffic which creates interest in the community and the potential for other splinter revenues. For example, there are always boats being fueled at the Payless and hungry fisherman at the Whacky D's.

It would also seem a little odd that a sea side community with a fish on its flag doesnt have a decent politically supported access to its waters.

There is an opportunity here for someone!

I wrote a letter to council and sent it via email. I simply asked if there was any plans at all for a public launch. I had a automated reply that said the mayor wont be to work untill the 18th of December so I guess I will wait to sent it again.

wasnt there a fourm that abunch of people signed to get a public boat ramp in sooke??

quote:Originally posted by frayedknot

hey otter let us ( or me )know about the next council meeting even if I don't live in sooke I can still support and tell how much they could be loseing out on business anways .As for wiffin spit what about sooke anglers association running a boat ramp just like , sidney anglers - tilsta?? park or Esquimalt anglers flemming beach - park .
I wll find out and post soon
thanks

quote:Originally posted by frayedknot

2nd and 4th Monday of the month.1930 hrs Sooke Municipal Hall. Attend,demand attention to this situation. Be defiant.

I have never been to council meeting before. After reading the agenda I thought I might have the chance to address the council on this matter. I barely heard the mayor ask if there was any public that had questions concerning the agenda. Seeing how this issue was not on the agenda I sat quiet thinking she would open the mic to the floor, Nope didn’t happen before I knew it the meeting was adjourned nothing on this issue said.
I very much lack experience here. This is not a new issue and I hope that some one will inform me as to who the Front Runner</u> is, the one that Otter </u> had mentioned in an earlier post. I can then learn where this issue stands with council. I will attend again.

I have never been to council meeting before. After reading the agenda I thought I might have the chance to address the council on this matter. I barely heard the mayor ask if there was any public that had questions concerning the agenda. Seeing how this issue was not on the agenda I sat quiet thinking she would open the mic to the floor, Nope didn’t happen before I knew it the meeting was adjourned nothing on this issue said.
I very much lack experience here. This is not a new issue and I hope that some one will inform me as to who the Front Runner</u> is, the one that Otter </u> had mentioned in an earlier post. I can then learn where this issue stands with council. I will attend again.

I have no experiance in this area either but if someone can get this topic on the agenda I would show up in support.

Tips

I have no experiance in this area either but if someone can get this topic on the agenda I would show up in support.

Tips

I have sent an email to Sooke to find out how the public should officially address council on this issue and will post when I hear back.

I have sent an email to Sooke to find out how the public should officially address council on this issue and will post when I hear back.

I ran into a guy from Ukee when I was in Mexico. He said the same nonsense is going on up there--they have closed the last public boat launch in Ukee!! What is going on with these town councils--have they all been bitten by the same anti common sense bug?!
T2

I finally heard back from Sooke. Apparently someone by the name of Ken Hales has approached council on this issue with a petition. Although, the person I spoke with suggested he may not want to do it again but to contact him to at least get on the same page and share some information. Does anyone know Ken? It is budget time for Sooke right now making this the best time to bring this to council, as they are allocating funds. Council can be addressed at the usual meetings and you're guaranteed 5mins on the floor to make a pitch but you usually get as much time as you need.

"If you wish to address Council on a subject that is not on the agenda, you may appear as a delegation and will be afforded to speak on the Agenda. Most times, you have as long as you like to speak even though there is a limit of
5 minutes."

Is there anyone wanting to spearhead this? Any viable ideas for a public launch site?

I know Ken Hales,yes he was the one behind the petition I signed and also behind the public Marina and Boat launch idea presented to the council.[B)] pm me and I'll give ya his # and address.

Back