Public Boat launch in Sooke ?

Has any one heard anything more about a public boat launch in Sooke? I heard talk about wiffen spit, that there was a proposal to the city to build a launch there? is this true? Does any one find it odd that there is no public launch in Sooke?

Thanks for that. Should the city not have a public launch? both Sunny and jocks are private owned, jocks launch is of no use at low tide and cannot accomidate alot of parking, but its tackle shop is the best deal in town!

I cant recall seeing a public launch other than the government wharfs, like the one in Ladysmith or the municipal one at Cattle Point in Oak Bay. So, public/free launches are rare to say the least; and the at Cattle Point is a bare bones launch (use at your own risk). But ya, Sooke definately needs another launch. There isan old site down past the trailer park that would be perfect, I think its an old log sort. I believe its owned by Ridley Bros. Not sure. Anyway, tips up!

Getting worse. reliable source indicated Sunny Shores sold,condo development going in there.

Somebody should fire the Sooke anti-fisher council! IDIOTS!

Sunny shores is not sold as of yet. But will let you know more when I hear but I have heard they are keeping the marina open when and if it does sell.

Wolf

I for one am for keep'n sunny shores but we all knew this would happen, denying that would be silly. Wait to see what happens to Renny and Jordan it will all follow suite. Just like sooke did, I remember only one traffic light there and no "Wacky D's"
(Mc Donalds)

When Sunny shores does sell I am sure it will be the same deal as Sooke Harbor marina. Marina still there and launch, but no where to park. Condo developers are going to want to maximize the area for development and will leave very little parking and the parking left will be for residents of the condos. Sooke will be with out a Proper facility. When the application for Sunny Shores development goes before council, it is my hope they will have the wisdom to develop another site such as Wiffin Spit for a launch site. Their going to need a lot of truck loads of rock. Come on Sooke get your sh** together and give us a public boat launch!

[8D]The push should be on for a marine development at Butlers dry land log sort west of Sooke on West Coast Rd. It's in between the best of fishing, :DOtter Point to the west and :DPossession Pt. Secretary Island to the east.

It would appear that the investment I made 3 years ago at Otter Point is turning out very well for me , all those sites that were for sale last year(12 of them) went in 5 weeks , when I bought the lots were around 32 to 35 thou, last year the inside smaller ones went from 75 thou and up.
The only problem is that it's a morning fishing area on the launch as the winds and waves in the afternoon pound in to the ramp pretty ugly at times.

AL

That log sort on West Coast Rd has a deal pending also...to turn it into light industrial lots. Sooke has to step in and do something if they really even care, let's hope so.

So if someone were to go to council they would need a viable idea or alternative. Does anyone have a solution? Wiffin spit is out I would bet as it is a park. Is there another parcel of waterfront somewhere? Is there someone or an organization that could lobby council?

There is a front runner individual in Sooke whos advocating a facility, he writes to the newspaper and attends council meetings,forget his name. Last meeting addressing the problem was attended and voiced by 3 people,myself included.I had my article re the concern publized in the Sooke News Mirror, March 2006. Sad thing about the meeting with 3 people there. Where were the local guides, B and B operators whose clientele focuses on fishing and then the locals?
Attend the council meetings,write letters, push them,same old thing.
Lot of people dont get it. Tourism in Sooke was down this summer and the idiots wonder why. Wait till this summer!

We recently lost the parking at Rocky Point Marina in port Moody.This pretty much makes it impossible to launch unless your wife drives the trailer home. The city council decided putting a Boathouse restaurant in the parking lot was a good idea.We talked to tackle shops, boat dealers and many more groups that would be affected.They all ignored the situation.Now that ground has been broken people who use the park are asking how this could happen.When I spoke to council they told me I should be mooring my boat not trailering it.These are the type of idiots we are dealing with .

Back