Public Boat launch in Sooke ?

If someone wants to address council on the marina issue heres an email I received yesterday from Sooke.

In response to your inquiry on addressing Council.
February 26, 2007 is our next Regular Council Meeting, I can schedule you and your associates on as delegates. Please let me know by Monday, February 19th. Any information that you would like on the agenda I will require by Thursday February 22nd.

Council Clerk
District of Sooke
2205 Otter Point Road
Sooke BC V0S 1N0
Phone 250-642-1634 Fax 250-642-0541

In my discussion with the mayor I learned that Sooke does not own any water front property suitable for a launch there was a proposal of back filling in more area around Wiffen spit this would have made for an ideal site but residences in the area were dead set against it. This is the only practical area for a launch as it is closest and it is on Sooke land. There is talk of the butlers (old log dump) be made available for a boat ramp this place would also be ideal but it is private land and there is no application for rezoning before the city as of yet we can hope that they will put in a boat launch and make it assessable by the public in exchange for rezoning the area or some deal of that nature. I feel the best possible chance is sunny shores, the owners have to get approval to rezone the property and it has to go before council twice. We could put pressure on council and the developer to provide parking and public access the existing launch> We need to have a good turn out at the council meeting when the property goes for rezoning, we could have it worked into the conditions that 10-20 trailer parking spots be provided. In exchange for approval of the rezoning for higher density housing. Why give it away with out anything in return. This is our best bet to keep a launch in Sooke. The rezoning is up to the city and the city does have a obligation to its residents so lets fill up the council chamber and make some requests of council and the developers.

I am coming from Nanaimo to fish Victoria this weekend for just the second time. I owe my brother-in-law a trip!
A few years ago and I launched at Pedder Bay marina.
My preference is to launch somewhere near Sooke this time.
Will you please give me some advice on launches?

Also, are any salmon being caught near Sooke or Renfrew?
It is dismal here in Nanaimo for salmon.

Thanks!

Roo.

3 choices other than Pedder....
Cheanuh marina east sooke
Sunny shores sooke basin
Jocks dock sooke basin
Pinks are done.
Chinook fishing has slowed and likely just about done for mature fish.
Coho starting to show, and may be the fish to target.

I have heard this is one of the better yrs Nanaimo fisherman have had! If there here again next yr you guys can bring your boats and wallets up here from Victoria.. There is a nice 4 lane public launch right down by the ferry terminal in Departure Bay.

Thanks RS!

Robert - there is more hype than substance up here!

Roo.

Any truth to the rumour that the "Vacations West" has been taken over and townhouses will now be built after they flatten the hotel...and the marina there will be charging $10/foot for moorage?

Also an ad this week in the Sooke Mirror.....;)
The rates are already going up to $10/ft monthly and $8/ft pd Bi-annual. $100 Monthly dry Storage. I live close by and things are changing with the new piling,floats,electrical,lighting etc.. on wharf.
Developer Mike Barrie (brother Len developed 'Bear Mountain')has presented his Dream Plan last week to an Open house.[xx(]

Back