Property Assessments

38% increase year over year on our place in Penticton. Average increase for the city was 29%, so our taxes will be going up some. Not appealing the assessment though, neighbours sold near-identical place as ours back in November for 40% more than what that house just assessed at.

My assessment is in. 688,000 to 877,000. About $50K less than what we paid. So presume we are still about market.

We are two professionals with pretty good jobs with a combined family income above $200,000.

The current housing market and wealth inequality are insane.

I have spent the past decade working in HNW tax in Vancouver. I am very pro-business and pro-wealth preservation. However, I do believe the Principal Residence exemption is far too generous and needs to be modified. Housing is housing and should not be a tax-free investment vehicle. They can introduce replacement property rules if you are buying a more expensive house(simple). However, there need to be some tax on gains with no replacement. For the "have" families multiple hundred thousand gifts to kids are common. Really makes it tough for those that don't come from the same families.

Personally, I'd much rather see some incentives changes. Give some more incentives to builders to build more houses and increase supply. However, we also need deincentives residential investors. That investment money would be way better suited in an industry that creates more economic output. IE instead of buying a rental condo, you took your 100K downpayment and invested in CDN Company that was doing something in Canada. All this investment dollars parked in housing just isn't really helping the broader economy.
While I agree with you regarding the economy part of me wonders where those houses would built and the strain on an already over taxed infrastructure?

My house in Courtenay went up 54% in one year, most likely due to a bidding war on one of the houses on our road

I’ve read and heard in a few places now that large pension funds , investment groups and some big corporations have been focusing heavily on purchasing single family homes in the US and Canada. In some areas buying absolutely everything they can and sending everything into bidding wars. They’ll go into areas and buy every single thing that comes up and then way overpay for a couple homes to drive everything else they own in the area up. Not sure it’s true , but it wouldn’t surprise me.

I’ve read and heard in a few places now that large pension funds , investment groups and some big corporations have been focusing heavily on purchasing single family homes in the US and Canada. In some areas buying absolutely everything they can and sending everything into bidding wars. They’ll go into areas and buy every single thing that comes up and then way overpay for a couple homes to drive everything else they own in the area up. Not sure it’s true , but it wouldn’t surprise me.
Haven't you heard? Higher and higher prices is all about lack of supply, supply, supply. Blind bidding, bidding war tactics etc has nothing to do with it or surely our governments would step in and make the necessary changes to correct this craziness.

Oh and to stay on track, just picked up my assessment from the mail today. Up 30% from last year.

I’m house shopping right now and a couple of the houses have been owned by numbered companies. One house was bought in September for 1.3, never moved in, and sold in December for 1.8. An easy 500k profit for someone’s holding company

I’m house shopping right now and a couple of the houses have been owned by numbered companies. One house was bought in September for 1.3, never moved in, and sold in December for 1.8. An easy 500k profit for someone’s holding company
The soon to be in law LOTA Land Owner Transparency Act will make numbered companies not as effective in hiding ownership.

“In the transparency report, a reporting body must disclose identifying information about itself and about indirect owners of the interest in land. These indirect owners are defined as “interest holders” under LOTA, and may include shareholders, directors, members, and beneficiaries of a trust.”

Rack one up for the Good Guys!

We just finished our Appeal Hearing.
The panel's ruling was in our favor.
Went from a 52 % increase down to a 26% increase.
Helped when the assessment authority contradicted themselves a couple of times.

Celebrating!!

Cheers,
Nog
Rarified air, Nog, they are tough to get a change from, you did well, or they did poorly.

Back