Project boat opportunity (not my ad)

I broke, called the seller of the Zeta. Boat was in running condition when purchased in Feb, but now has lots of water in the oil, likely cracked block. Owner will remove block and leg to sell separately. Boat appears to have been stored and maintained well, condition is reasonable for a >30 year old hull.

I broke, called the seller of the Zeta. Boat was in running condition when purchased in Feb, but now has lots of water in the oil, likely cracked block. Owner will remove block and leg to sell separately. Boat appears to have been stored and maintained well, condition is reasonable for a >30 year old hull.
So, will we be seeing another build thread this winter?

Needs budget discussion first. Power, rigging, electronics and hull interior I have enough experience to rough out, this would be second project boat. Would do most of the work myself, I have a good shop, intermediate mechanical skills, experienced carpenter.

The pod and fibreglass work are where I'm lacking. Does a bolted-on aluminum pod work for this application? Something like in the link below. This one has included angle that works out to 20 degree deadrise. Would be similar to the Zeta, I think.

Last edited:
One thing about used brackets, is that if it was built with for a curved, or a straight transom, it may or may not be a bolt up to your application.

Your unlikely going to find a used pod to fit the Zeta,probably have to have one custom made to suit. "Brando" could give you a cost estimate probably. I can tell you from my recent experience you can double what you think everything will cost.My present Searay project will be my last,it just isn't making any financial sense anymore. If I included my labour, the boat would have to sell for twice what it's worth.But if it's your dream boat that you plan on keeping forever maybe it's worth it to you.

Last edited:
One thing about used brackets, is that if it was built with for a curved, or a straight transom, it may or may not be a bolt up to your application.
Fair comment. I have good friends with fabrication business that can modify if the fit is close.

Fair comment. I have good friends with fabrication business that can modify if the fit is close.

Yeah fair enough. Go get it, and round up the parts. I've got a yammy 150 coming off a boat this week and some etecs you might like. (cough cough with new power heads cough cough)

Yeah fair enough. Go get it, and round up the parts. I've got a yammy 150 coming off a boat this week and some etecs you might like. (cough cough with new power heads cough cough)
Yep I would look for etec, more torque to heave that deep v up on plane, I'm comfortable with working on them and prices are a bit soft because most people want 4 stroke.

Feel free to reach out, nice hull choice. I am biased of course but I wouldn’t cheap out on a “bracket” my experience is the shorter sub 25’ deep v and narrower boats respond well to a hull extension different boats need different designs there’s really no “one size fits all” option that is ideal. you’ll also need a separate kicker bracket and a separate swim step etc. by the time you add all of that up you may find your not far off the cost of having a nice full width pod/swim grid built.

Someone else bought the hull. I couldn't get to the Valley to look at it, and I wasn't going to buy it sight unseen. Would have been a good project but really I didn't have time for it.

Jeez if that proposed dock plan goes i
It feels cynical of me to say, but this type of thing is low cost/high gain in terms of reconciliation with first nations. I'm keeping in mind that all parties involved may have the best of intentions with regard to improving light conditions for marine life around docks, and that this is less an effort to exert control over the area than an effort at improving stewardship that is currently volunteer based.

The glaring omission of guidelines for community docks such as those that are private but service many boats and take the place of multiple individual docks is troubling. It's difficult not to consider that there could be an underlying motivation the extends beyond management of shorelines, perhaps a long game to reduce access to these areas and ultimately bring them into the first nations portfolio.

I will be providing constructive feedback today, and will hope that the process is an honest one that will actually attempt to listen to stakeholders such as seasonal and permanent residents in these areas, rather than a single group of people who presently represent a small number of the people using these areas. It's worth a try, but hiring a legal team is probably a safer bet if you have a personal interest in the areas listed in the update.

Back