Preparing Salmon Roe

aheny

I kept a pile of Roe from a Spring I caught yesterday, and was wondering if anyone has advice on what to do with it? Is it any good in the ocean (Sand Heads, T10 area). How do you recommend preparing and presenting it?

No good in the salt chuck unless you use it for crab bait. Borax or one of the many cures on the market will do fine to get it ready for the river.

It's easy. We use it on sushi and crackers. Take the roe and add it to a bowl of very hot tap water. Let is soak for 5min. Then break the eggs away from the connective tissue and the bits will float to the top. Decant the tissue off the top. The eggs will turn opaque but don't worry it will return clear. Repeat the process 3 times or until the eggs are cleaned. Then add ice cold water and the eggs go back clear. Pour off the water, add a few tbspn of salt and you're done.

Youtube also has some videos.

It's easy. We use it on sushi and crackers. Take the roe and add it to a bowl of very hot tap water. Let is soak for 5min. Then break the eggs away from the connective tissue and the bits will float to the top. Decant the tissue off the top. The eggs will turn opaque but don't worry it will return clear. Repeat the process 3 times or until the eggs are cleaned. Then add ice cold water and the eggs go back clear. Pour off the water, add a few tbspn of salt and you're done.

Youtube also has some videos.
Interesting I've never seen that recipe-I use the classic one in Jack Whelan's book but am always willing to experiment-Thanks.

Never thought about Youtube will have to check that out as well.

Back