Prawn Fishing pretty good

Someone has been systematically emptying prawn traps at night on the inlet. Last week they hit mine 3 out of 4 nights. The night they missed had 500 and the nights they hit them had 20 or less. I have reported this to the RCMP in Sidney and there is a file # 2014-1809. If enough of us complain perhaps they will take it seriously and catch these pricks.
Everyone I have spoken to has had the same thing happen to them

If you read this whole post it's pretty common. Traps overnight is asking for problems, hell leaving traps is open for problems. Cops will do nothing, there isn't even anything they can do. Even guys caught red handed just say " I thought they were mine".... How can you even dispute that? It's not like its in the criminal code.

The only answer is to sit on your traps or keep an eye on them.

Good luck but cops can't and will not do anything......

The police may not be able to help but DFO can and, in my experience, will. Get a description of the boat and call. They can charge them with exceeding 200 prawns.

How are they going to be charged with exceeding 200 prawns if you get a description of the boat? The only way you'd ever be charged with that and it would hold up is if DFO caught you in the act and you had more then your limit on the boat and they were out of your traps and deheaded or something similar.

Back