Prawn Fishing pretty good

Had both my traps emptied today. Bait taken and left open. Bauer traps. When I pulled them some retard had set on top of mine (lead core line set correctly) and I pulled his too. He had a million miles of floating line out. Wtf dudes? I'm sticking for the next while, I see someone checking my traps he's getting an butt kicking. No ****, I'm not big but I'm pretty mean

Went out today and watched my traps busy out there , hard to tell when someone is pulling the wrong trap. Had 1 trap that came up with 1 prawn that was mushy feeling dead and almost brown all on its own, anyone ever seen this?

two of us out yesterday in the inlet prawn fishing. got our limits but man what a flotilla of traps, never seen that many. current and wind made it tricky pulling but was a good day. Fisheries came by in their rigid hull checking our licenses.

Went out today and watched my traps busy out there , hard to tell when someone is pulling the wrong trap. Had 1 trap that came up with 1 prawn that was mushy feeling dead and almost brown all on its own, anyone ever seen this?
Sounds like an octopus may have visited your trap

two of us out yesterday in the inlet prawn fishing. got our limits but man what a flotilla of traps, never seen that many. current and wind made it tricky pulling but was a good day. Fisheries came by in their rigid hull checking our licenses.

Threads got 1800 views in 2 days, this is what happens when people brag about how many prawns they're catching - the hoards show up.

I am not telling you where I go:)...Sorry. I like the spots I find away from the crowd to remain as they are. Plus a lot of us have to do a lot trial and error to find them.

If you want to have gear free fishing. Find areas where there is not so much effort, and do it when guys don't really feel like going out... I.E winter months. Load up then when it spring it is not a big deal...

It does concern me that some areas that have been fished heavily are not coming back.... I almost wondering of acidity within the oceans is causing this much like the shellfish.

Traps checked again today, and set on top of again! If you are one of the Asians in the Malibu tyee with green canvas your habit of helping yourself is going to get you in trouble. Dudes are onto you two......thanks Hali hauler for the heads up.

Fished for a bit in pat bay. Lost one, kept one. Sounded a pile of bait around 150-200 off the buoys. Heard of two other fish caught this morning too in same area by a boat that was close to us. The one I lost actually pulled line..... Left the net on the dock purposely to see about getting another April biggie in the Dead Sea :)

Traps checked again today, and set on top of again! If you are one of the Asians in the Malibu tyee with green canvas your habit of helping yourself is going to get you in trouble. Dudes are onto you two......thanks Hali hauler for the heads up.
Is that the boat to watch out for? I saw a boat like that out there today and they were pulling a traps when I saw them don't know if it was thier traps or not.

Yup. Hali hauler watched them pulling his and my traps. Hali hauler didn't know either. But figured out they had theirs "checked" when they went to pull second string after finding first string bare. Hali hauler figured they were pulling his second string as Hali was pulling his first. Pretty ballsy. They took off after that and didn't get to my second string. Not sure what a guy can do if they are pulling someone else's trap, unless you know who that someone is.

Jeez, does any of that make sense? Too much time on the water is making me dopey

Last edited by a moderator:
Will be looking out for them and posting pictures if I see them. I'm out there twice everyday so I'm sure I will see them again.

Gear n beer nice to see you out there. We pulled our traps again and got a few .. Funny how they were empty after sitting for so long... And had a few after 3/4 hr . Unfortunately I will have to watch my traps tomorrow. Maybe at a distance....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey Hali, I'll be out tomorrow too. I know which ones are yours now. I'll keep an eye on them while I'm in the area. Keep some presence out there

Will keep the binocs handy

GnB

Yup. Hali hauler watched them pulling his and my traps. Hali hauler didn't know either. But figured out they had theirs "checked" when they went to pull second string after finding first string bare. Hali hauler figured they were pulling his second string as Hali was pulling his first. Pretty ballsy. They took off after that and didn't get to my second string. Not sure what a guy can do if they are pulling someone else's trap, unless you know who that someone is.

Jeez, does any of that make sense? Too much time on the water is making me dopey

A couple holes below their water line will do!

Its really unfortunate that ppl are taking to thieving.... Has anyone reported this to RCMP/DFO?

EDIT: Maybe if enough ppl complain and give a description they will do something about it?

Hali... what area is this malibu prowling? I don't want to know yur spots. just an area to watch when Im out. Im in the nanaimo north area and a few of us, watch each others gear.

Hali... what area is this malibu prowling? I don't want to know yur spots. just an area to watch when Im out. Im in the nanaimo north area and a few of us, watch each others gear.

They have been all over saanich inlet. Usually in areas where there isn't houses on the shoreline.

I'm in the kootenays now but when I get back I'll be on the watch

Back