Prawn Bait

hmmm, I get into trouble, when I use wife's kitchen things for other projects...I"ll see what I come up with...

hmmm, I get into trouble, when I use wife's kitchen things for other projects...I"ll see what I come up with...
Ah ya, I got caught using the wife's coffee grinder for chopping up fur dubbing, for my fly tying.
I had to buy her a new one!

Please excuse my ignorance on the subject....I'm new at this prawning and I'm having a hard time reading the DFO regulations. The way I read it area 19-8 in the Saanich Inlet is open Feb 16th to March 1st 2012, is this correct? Thanks!

I have a bud with a comm prawn lic who claims a bait sock outfishes a plastic tub 2:1. Green small mesh bait bag matl from PNT sewen into a 3"dia sock with a ss ring at one end to be cinched with the draw string so as to extend top to bot of trap.

We do something quite similar to the cup thing FA showed. Run tuna, hali, salmon frames and roe collected over the season through the grinder, shape and freeze. Don't need to add pellets. The oil slick they leave behind when they hit the water is truly Amazing!! :D

Cheers,
Nog

Good way to recycle! What do you have for a grinder? I used to have a Gander Mountain #10 Cast Iron Manual crank but lost it in a house fire ages ago. I gotta get on the system that you guys use, great money saver.

Please excuse my ignorance on the subject....I'm new at this prawning and I'm having a hard time reading the DFO regulations. The way I read it area 19-8 in the Saanich Inlet is open Feb 16th to March 1st 2012, is this correct? Thanks!

Know what you mean, their website is a maze, check here:
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/species-especes/shelltable-tableaucoquille-eng.htm
then scroll down to Shrimp/Prawn and if there is a closure, click on the FN link on the far right under comments. As far as FN0193, we are in the clear now until they have the pulse prawning later in the year.

I always like leaving the boat with a bag full of hammers (big effing prawns). And remember, Daily limit is 200 and prawns carrying eggs should be tossed back, gently.

Anyone else in Saanich Inlet astounded by the amount of commercial prawners in the Inlet, I counted 6 on the water on Monday. Not been getting my usual numbers, this time last year in my few fav spots I was getting at least 60-80 in a day. now I am luck to get 20. Any other regulars have low counts?

The commercial season has been closing in many areas much earlier than normal (Barclay for example) because of some fairly low numbers. These closures force guys to go to new spots which might explain the crowding.

They closed up north early too. So everyone is down here, slow for me as well. Another month to go til their closed...

Guys anyone know of a place on the Mainland that I can buy the bulk 50lb tub of pellets?

I just did a week of prawning out of Mill Bay,Jiggit,and your right about it being slow!! I averaged 20 or so a trap as well.
Still managed a 1000 pieces for 7 days,but had to pull twice a day to get that. Last year I was getting my limit of 200
in one pull and heading for home by noon.

Slow ?? It's a #@*!@ desert out there now in the saanich inlet. The commercial boys have been carpet bombing the area hard and i had trap after trap yesterday empty, never seen it like that.

Had a commercial boat hook onto my trap, they pulled up my "empty" trap and politely tossed it back after i yelled "make sure you throw some prawns in there first" lol.... Which he did.

You bet, marula! Pretty sad!! I've fished that inlet for years and never did I remember so many commies in it. I bet
there's 3000+ traps strung out there. Normally there's maybe a couple of boats and although it slows down a bit,it's
usually still worth the effort. I won't bother going out again untill later in the fall. Should be a few back around by then
after this "rape and pillage".

Hey I have never prawned until this year but I have been doing pretty good in Saanich Inlet. Using Turkey Pate Friskies Cat food. On sale at safeway 3/2$.

Dont have a sounder so I was just putting my traps in the general vicinity of where the other ones were and getting 25 or so keepers in 2 hrs. This weekend I put my traps 100 m inshore from the crowd at night and got 50 biggies per trap. Also tried a crab trap on my 300' string and got 2 big dungenesses keepers. No idea how deep it was and there were no other traps around....

Heard from another guy I talked to out there that said he saw a commercial boat empty his traps, when he approached them he was told to go f*** himself. Pretty bad attitude.

Back