Power Trailer Dolly

AlK

I want to get a power trailer dolly to make it easier getting my boat down the side of the house to and from the boat shelter which is in the back yard. The overall length of my truck and boat trailer is 45'. Even with the hitch on the front of the truck, I have to be extremely careful. If it were straight in and out it would not be difficult, but that is not the case. In a couple of spots I have about 2” clearance on each side. I have found 3 companies (Powercaster. Parkit 360, Powermover) that sell these units, but they are not exactly cheap. Anyone have one of these units? Any constructive comments , thoughts and suggestions will be appreciated.

I want to get a power trailer dolly to make it easier getting my boat down the side of the house to and from the boat shelter which is in the back yard. The overall length of my truck and boat trailer is 45'. Even with the hitch on the front of the truck, I have to be extremely careful. If it were straight in and out it would not be difficult, but that is not the case. In a couple of spots I have about 2” clearance on each side. I have found 3 companies (Powercaster. Parkit 360, Powermover) that sell these units, but they are not exactly cheap. Anyone have one of these units? Any constructive comments , thoughts and suggestions will be appreciated.
Powermover all the way. Been using one for 3 years. Depending on your boat weight and type of ground, there is the bigger motor option on the even numbers. (ie, ac-5 has same frame and tires as the ac-6, but the ac-6 has the bigger motor.) You pay more up front, but utility is greater.

Powermover all the way. Been using one for 3 years. Depending on your boat weight and type of ground, there is the bigger motor option on the even numbers. (ie, ac-5 has same frame and tires as the ac-6, but the ac-6 has the bigger motor.) You pay more up front, but utility is greater.
Hey. I've been using a hand crank trailer valet for two years on my 22. Works great on fairly level ground. Bought it from PO Co marine for around four fifty. Not sure about the weight capability.

The total weight of my tandem axle trailer and boat, loaded to go fishing (full tank of gas) weights 5700 lbs. The wheels on one side are on smooth concrete and the wheels on the other side are on compact lime stone. Other than that there is no grade to the driveway.

timbuc2, which model are you using? I'm guessing that you purchased it in the US, did you have it shipped to Point Roberts for pickup?

doryman 53, how heavy is your boat and trailer, do you think it will work on compact limestone?

i have a older powercaster with a single wheel it does fine to move it but tilts a little when turning the boat and a slight grade but other than that has worked well. if i bought it new get one with 2 or more wheels they are more stable there was one on craigslist but dont see it anymore.

The total weight of my tandem axle trailer and boat, loaded to go fishing (full tank of gas) weights 5700 lbs. The wheels on one side are on smooth concrete and the wheels on the other side are on compact lime stone. Other than that there is no grade to the driveway.

timbuc2, which model are you using? I'm guessing that you purchased it in the US, did you have it shipped to Point Roberts for pickup?

doryman 53, how heavy is your boat and trailer, do you think it will work on compact limestone?

I basically use it to come out from the side of the house as I have a tight dog leg in the drive way and it was always a pain with just the truck. Almost impossible. Google Trailer Valet and it should come up. I way in around 5000 or so. It has two tube tires on it so any hard pack should be okay. PO CO marine shipped it direct to me from Vancouver. Call them and they can give you some more info

I found an old scooter and robbed the rear-end and motor assembly with controls, the plan was to build something but never got around to it.

I'm using the AC-5. With the boat weight you have, I suggest the AC-6 or Ac-8, especially cuz you've got the limestone on one side. I did my research before buying one and the other companies' products had it's cons. If you can get a cheaper AC-5 or 7, you can always swap the motor out with the dealer in California. He's not the friendliest fella, but he's got the parts. Yes, got it delivered to Blaine.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Mike,
Thank you for the heads up on the Craigslist ad..
I think the load capacity of 12,000 lbs that is stated in the advertisement is not correct. From looking at the Powermovers website a 12,000 lb dolly would have probably 4 wheels or more and not three.

timbuc2,
Without the collar locking mechanism, I agree the frame mount would be better.

doryman53,
Are you using the Trailer Valet 5X or the XL?

The trailer valet, looks interesting. If I go this route, I am thinking due to the weight of my boat and trailer I would need to get XL model rather than the 5X. The XL is rated at 10,000 lbs with a tongue weight capacity of 1,000 lbs. as opposed to the (5,000 lbs/500 lbs) for the 5X. Also with the XL I can use my cordless drill to avoid using the hand crank.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Mike,
Thank you for the heads up on the Craigslist ad..
I think the load capacity of 12,000 lbs that is stated in the advertisement is not correct. From looking at the Powermovers website a 12,000 lb dolly would have probably 4 wheels or more and not three.

timbuc2,
Without the collar locking mechanism, I agree the frame mount would be better.

doryman53,
Are you using the Trailer Valet 5X or the XL?

The trailer valet, looks interesting. If I go this route, I am thinking due to the weight of my boat and trailer I would need to get XL model rather than the 5X. The XL is rated at 10,000 lbs with a tongue weight capacity of 1,000 lbs. as opposed to the (5,000 lbs/500 lbs) for the 5X. Also with the XL I can use my cordless drill to avoid using the hand crank.

When I bought mine the larger was not available and from the sound of things you would be right to go with the xl for the extra dollars. It looks pretty skookum and the option of the drill power is a great idea. I did not know they had that one so must be new product

Back