Possesion Advice

fishnwhenIcan

Hi Guys,

I left a message with fisheries in Vancouver earlier today but have not been contacted back. I'm looking at taking a friend out fishing tomorrow to get her first spring. She's got a concert at Ambleside she's going to go to after so I was going to drop her at the Pier around 3pm and then head back to Richmond Skyline marina with, hopefully, her fish which will be on her license.

Will I be ok with just the regular letter from her stating I'm transporting her fish? Should I get her license to show they are recorded? How about I take a picture of her holding a fish on my phone. That should show a dated picture right?

I'm probably over thinking this but I want to do it right.

Thanks in advance!
Harry

There is some transporting guide lines in your fishing synopsis. Basically, what we are looking for is that your fried nor you is not over her possession limit prior to the fish getting to the place of residence.

look at your guide or the one on line and complete a document with all the requirements. Perhaps take a picture of her licence with the fish recorded on the back.

We Fishery Officer's are reasonable people...honestly, but we deal with cheaters every day so we have to be inquisitive.

Even better, if you are transporting her fish, along with the letter from her authorizing you to transport her fish, have her leave her licence with you. That way when I check you on the water, or at the ramp my questions about the possession of the fish will be answered.

Bryce Gillard
Fishery Officer,
Comox

Just don't tell my wife...it's my day off and I'm supposed to be working on the deck...gota go...she'll be home soon.

from DFO's Website

Transporting Your Catch
It is recommended that you store and transport your catch in containers and bags intended for food.

When more than one person is transporting or shipping fish, each person must package their fish separately. There should only be one name per package. However, they may share a container.

When packaging catch for transportation, provide the following information on the outside of the transport container:

The name of angler and fishing licence number; only one name per box.
The number of fish by species and number of packages. For example, the label on the outside of the box should state, in the case of two packaged chinook or two packaged halibut: “2 chinook – 2 packages” or, “2 halibut – 8 packages”.
To transport another person’s sport-caught fish, you must carry a letter from that person with their signature, stating you are authorized to transport the fish.

Check with customs officials in your country of residence for regulations concerning the importation of your catch.

The letter must state:

the fisher’s name
complete address
telephone number
fishing licence number
when and where the fish were caught
the number, species and size of fish
name of recipient
address of recipient
date of receipt
reason for transport

fd

Thanks FD, so just the regular letter. I've never done this before so I'm just a little paranoid. I'll get her licence too just so I err on the side of too much proof.

Since the woman was not going to be fishing for the rest of the day, I suggest the licence go with the fish...not necessary, but it makes my job easier. Any way you can help me verify the transport of the fish is valid, the quicker we FO's can get out of your hair.

Good discussion here. I guess you're hoping to limit out yourself, otherwise could you not just record her fish on your licence if you have room? Is this legal?

Are you going from the fishing grounds back to the marina in your boat?

Do the transportation guidelines mentioned here apply to when you are heading in and all the fish are in tub/fishbox/cooler, or are they meant for after the fish is cleaned and you are heading to your destination.

We do this all the time and have had the transporter checked.
No problem as long as they have the signed letter.
The reason can be as simple as taking my fish home.
Remember that once your fish is home it is no longer in your possession and you can go back out for more
provided you have not exceeded you annual limit (halis, springs).

As as it turned out , it didn't matter. Wasn't doing well this morning so we called it a day early and drove back so she could drive in. We've had some better than two spring days lately and one of those would have put me in over.

Back