Dropping another persons fish off at processor

tidal shot

Crew Member
My sister is wanting to come out fishing with us for 3 days while we are on the island, but we will be picking her up on our way out and dropping her off on our way back every evening, which is 45 mins out of her way.

My question is can we deliver her fish to be processed if we have a letter from her stating we are transporting the fish for her and her license as well? I know we can transport it how as long as we have all her paperwork and a signed detailed letter with what we are transporting for her and her license etc. but never had to deal with a processor before.

My sister is wanting to come out fishing with us for 3 days while we are on the island, but we will be picking her up on our way out and dropping her off on our way back every evening, which is 45 mins out of her way.

My question is can we deliver her fish to be processed if we have a letter from her stating we are transporting the fish for her and her license as well? I know we can transport it how as long as we have all her paperwork and a signed detailed letter with what we are transporting for her and her license etc. but never had to deal with a processor before.
I’m not 100% positive but I think they’ve outlawed even that? Your own fish and that’s all.

Last edited:
Not sure as of now, but have done multiple times in the past with the other person license in hand, have even done it with a picture of the license(my wife) but haven’t done it in last 4-5 years, just give StJean a call see what they say

Searching online I come up empty but did find this old SFBC thread…

I looked in DFO web site and found the regs for transportation of third parties fish.

Attachments

• 62985E82-93CD-4DA8-882E-5F62E5261534.png
    62985E82-93CD-4DA8-882E-5F62E5261534.png
    263.2 KB · Views: 120
The current transport rules are ridiculous. Bullying straight up by DFO.
I was out in Uki last weekend and watched 3 US campers process, vacuum seal and freeze their fish in small freezers they brought with them. I happen to believe it’s about time that transportation is made harder to stop this kind of misuse.

I’ve watched the letter game over the years where groups fish different areas and go home with double limits as each group has letters regarding the other groups fish.

I don’t know of an easy way to stop the cheaters but I do know they are doing checks and charging this year.

I was out in Uki last weekend and watched 3 US campers process, vacuum seal and freeze their fish in small freezers they brought with them. I happen to believe it’s about time that transportation is made harder to stop this kind of misuse.

I’ve watched the letter game over the years where groups fish different areas and go home with double limits as each group has letters regarding the other groups fish.

I don’t know of an easy way to stop the cheaters but I do know they are doing checks and charging this year.
Totally agree!

My son flies in to fish with me for a few days then flies home. DFO says I can't take his legally caught and properly packed fish home for him? Absolute nonsense.
We get treated like criminals because they can't get there **** together on the enforcement end. We are fishermen not drug dealers. Bullies straight up.

So I dropped fish at an "official processor" 2 weeks back at Nootka. My wife and I dropped off 7 Springs for processing. They took copies of both licenses. I got the impression that as long as you had a license that aligned with the catch you were having processed that it was all ok. In previous years they only looked at one license. I think if you had your sisters license that would suffice, and a letter from her would help. These transport rules are BS. No judge is gonna fine you for trying to do the right thing. I'd just label her bags with her license number and name and put species on it and make sure the tails are on.

Last edited:

so did you call dfo? or just post up here to state something we all know that goes on.

You can transport an others fish but you can not be over the limits in the regs.
example: My wife can take my limit but only mine. She would be over the possetion limit if she took mine and my sons.
2 limits 2 persons to transport straight from a fisherys officer when i asked him two weeks ago about transport with a letter.

You can transport an others fish but you can not be over the limits in the regs.
example: My wife can take my limit but only mine. She would be over the possetion limit if she took mine and my sons.
2 limits 2 persons to transport straight from a fisherys officer when i asked him two weeks ago about transport with a letter.

Assuming she didn't have a possession limit of her own; from what I am aware of you can only be in possession of a 1 person limit.

There used to be proper verbiage as to transporting your catch and transporting others (not allowed) on the DFO site but I can't find it anywhere.

Assuming she didn't have a possession limit of her own; from what I am aware of you can only be in possession of a 1 person limit.

There used to be proper verbiage as to transporting your catch and transporting others (not allowed) on the DFO site but I can't find it anywhere.
This! It used to say you could. Now it says as long as you’re not over the possession limit.

Last edited:
Back