Dropping another persons fish off at processor

I spent 5 days fishing North island earlier in July. My first day salmon spent 5 days in the cooler and I didn’t see any issues with quality. I bonk, bleed, gut on the boat and then on ice. At the end of the day I stacked the fish belly up layered with salt flake ice in a separate cooler in the truck. 8 springs and 4 coho of varying sizes fit in my 128 quart Cordova roto mold cooler. I kept the drain open tilted slightly.
Yeah they seem ok for the first few months but they don't last as long in the freezer, in my opinion. After about 6 months they start getting a funk. When properly treated and packed in a day or so, I can get them to last 10 months before the funk starts.

Yeah they seem ok for the first few months but they don't last as long in the freezer, in my opinion. After about 6 months they start getting a funk. When properly treated and packed in a day or so, I can get them to last 10 months before the funk starts.
I can't see any logical science in that. But maybe someone smarter than me can. I know fattier fish can go bad quicker because the fat gets freezer burnt faster. I actually don't even know if that's true either. But maybe you just had a batch of fattier fish and that's what went bad. Or maybe you didn't clean your fish well enough before freezing. Lots of variables.

I can't see any logical science in that. But maybe someone smarter than me can. I know fattier fish can go bad quicker because the fat gets freezer burnt faster. I actually don't even know if that's true either. But maybe you just had a batch of fattier fish and that's what went bad. Or maybe you didn't clean your fish well enough before freezing. Lots of variables.
To each their own I guess. I think it makes a difference

To each their own I guess. I think it makes a difference
I keep thinking about why now. Maybe the fish is getting water logged with fresh water? Do you use salt ice or regular ice? Do you keep your drain open? Some guys put each fish in tied fish bag to keep the water off them. We're going to fix this problem!

I keep thinking about why now. Maybe the fish is getting water logged with fresh water? Do you use salt ice or regular ice? Do you keep your drain open? Some guys put each fish in tied fish bag to keep the water off them. We're going to fix this problem!
For sure the fats degrade - long before the meat has any issues. That happens even in quality vacuum packing and freezing. But it happens faster with thinner vacuum bagging.

Back