Port Renfrew Reports Summer 2012

End of season for me!

Enjoyed the last five weeks out in Renfrew, time to go back to work! Not sure about others but slow for springs this year for me. Coho were fantastic though, last day caught nine and five were hatchery! Should be a good season in the Vedder this fall. During this last week the water was excellent. Should have ran out to the Banks a few times, I guess, but was on my own. Don't like going out too far on my own. The last two weeks East Point was hot early, but good luck fishing with any comfort. Not my kind of fishing, reminds me of Scale Bar in Hope during sockeye openings. Guys going everywhere, what a mess. The other positive besides the coho was the Orca shows, wow! Several shows in the last week for me. Great pic of a guy hooking into one and trying to play it to his boat, WOW! What a fight that would be! lol. Anyway, great summer, can't wait til next year when I am retired and can spend even more time out there. Enjoy the rest of the season guys and gals.

Attachments

• IMG_4754.jpg
    IMG_4754.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 193
Went to Renfrew on the weekend with my dad an eight year old son. It's spotty out there for springs, but got lucky Saturday evening at Eastpoint and picked up a 29 and a 32 in our first hour on the water (fishing away from the pack). Only got a 20 at Walbran on Sunday. Let my eight year old on the rod for the 20 at least until it got out of hand lucky it was hooked well, what a blast. Was a beautiful weekend. This is the 32, it was a bright fish.

Wow...great looking fish and good times with your son, gotta love that!

Last edited by a moderator:
He was okay two weeks ago when I was there. What do you mean by "listed "? I was also able to phone him three weeks ago.

Red Monster--I just talked to him--he's fine--I had some info from an out of date website. I booked a cabin for some
coho fun the last weekend of sept.
T2

Largest fish was about 35 and change. Tons of money raised for the hatchery. Fishing was tough, and slow. Lots of people out though.

Dave

sorry i missed ya there dave, i never made it down till the after party and couldnt find you.

Hey Braden. Yeah, we hit the sack early. We won the new category at the derby this year. It was for the smallest chinook weighed in. Ours was 5lbs 9 oz. LOL. Ryan, the guy I was fishing with, wanted to weigh it in. I told him that if he had the balls to show up with that at the scales to go ahead. He won $250! LOL. It paid for our whole weekend.

We'll have to get together another time. Are you not doing the fire fighting thing this year?

Dave

Hey Braden. Yeah, we hit the sack early. We won the new category at the derby this year. It was for the smallest chinook weighed in. Ours was 5lbs 9 oz. LOL. Ryan, the guy I was fishing with, wanted to weigh it in. I told him that if he had the balls to show up with that at the scales to go ahead. He won $250! LOL. It paid for our whole weekend.

We'll have to get together another time. Are you not doing the fire fighting thing this year?

Dave

I heard of this category after the scales closed, and could have won it haha we were a little mad and even had it in the cooler when we weighed in our bigger fish! No fire fighting for me this year, couldnt miss another entire summer of fishing (and also finished school up)

great derby weekend for our boat in renny.perfect weather , money raised and 7 springs boated including a 4th place fish 30.6lbs. smallest being 17.5 and the rest being in the low 20s.hats off to kuzzy and jhony mac for anther epic weekend.4 of the fish being whites/marbled fish.

advise for fishing coho at the can buoy

we will be fishing for Coho at the can bouy but have never done it before. What would be the most effective set up? I'm assuming we would be running flashers and hootchies or spoons. What patterns, leader lengths? Is there any advantage to running bait? Are there any productive spoons that could be run without a flasher?
Any help would be greatly appreciated by a couple of lower mainland river fishers.

Usually smallish spoons behind a flasher will do well but it all depends on what bait is around. 1 year we were in the mouth of the bay and there were large schools of big herring right on the surface so I started trolling 6 inch plugs with good success! I like using an old scotty product called butterflys--its kinds of a wasp waisted mini apex that you slide the hootchie (a hootchie with its nose trimmed off to widen the opening) onto. It's got a great action and you can try different hootchies until you get a colour that's working. The best part is that there is no flasher and it's lots of fun playing the ho's on lighter gear. Have fun!
T2

Port Renfrew Coho

Thanks Tsquared,
If we are to use small spoons behind a flasher what leader length would you reccomend? Are there any small spoons and colors you would reccomend?

Coho prefer a faster action, try 4' and shorten it up until they start biting.
personal favourite for Coho is the 3.5 coyote in Mongoose.
they love that one.

Glow white hootchie with green stripe was the hot gear for us last year.
Seems a bit early for fishing the bouy though. You may have to head out further.

Hope we see the big hos in Sooke this year. Last year I did better in Sooke than Renny.

Tips

x2 on Craven's advice of shortening until you find the magic length. I assumed you are going up towards the end of the month--if earlier then Tips is right--out further is better. (and if your into bucktails, well, as Commander Cody said, You can never in this world have too much fun--so don't forget to bring some along.

Back