Port Hardy / Winter Harbour / North Island Report - Spring and Summer 2011

Waiting on the word from my buddy but probably headed to WH this week! Freezer is low so I goota do it

Once I know all the dust has settled I will give the most colorfull report of any trip I have ever been on. So will the rest of the party.

It really did suck.... Plus I need a new axle now. But that was one of the easy parts of our trip.

I am waiting for the dust to clear. RBC and the RCMP were all nearly called if not called. As well as Tourism BC, BBB and other tour web sites and forums. People were treated wrongly. Costs were added that should not have been. Prices were changed with out notice. But not for all of us. We were called liers. We were threatened. People were cold. Fishing sucked.

I will say Bear Cove, Serengti Guide and Jim from Jims tackle were nice guys to email and talk to and meet. And I/we all thank all of you.

If you need a place to stay or a guide I would highly reccomend these guys.

Owen,

Sorry here you had such a shyte time up here and the fish gods weren't on your side. I have heard many, many bad things about the place stayed in the last year, since the ownership change(will let you release the names) and the crap they have pulled on many guests, great for my business though. I do recommend going on sites like Trip Advisor and writing a report so that others that are thinking about going there know what they are going to get. Our local Chamber of Commerce would be very interested in hearing your story too!

Would have like to get together for that beer but had my own issues at the resort this weekend, hopefully another time. Call me up if ever planning another trip, will hook you up no problem.

The week prior to our trip people were very kind sharing allsorts of private info on fishing Hardy. So much info we were told even a retard could catch a slab with all of this info and gear that we had.

3 rooms were booked at the Hotel that owns the marina puband B&W store you know who I am talking about. We spoke about moorage,parking and storage so every thing was arranged on that end. Meals and allother provisions were taken care of. We were ready to go.

2 people of our group were given a great deal on their rooms at the hotel we had booked at so I called them up and talked to them and theygave me the same rate of $95 a night. Confirmation #’s given to each of our groups.

Got into Hardy @ 8am Friday morning and headed out on thewater planning to check into our hotel rooms afterwards. Guess we were all abunch of retards as all 3 boats got skunked. So we headed into the hotel hopingto check in and watch the Canucks game.

I got to the front desk to check in and noticed that theprice was $155 a night plus $10 for the extra guest. I was told that they weretold by the manager to charge us this as we were a bunch of lairs being thatthat from were at corporate rates and we were there to fish meaning that it wasnot business. Funny thing is that if we were a bunch of lairs trying to getbetter rates would we of booked moorage? Inquired about cold storage etc… I was told they had been waiting for us to arrive and they had been following our bookings all week. What a bunch of sick and twisted people. If we had I been informed of this new rate I would have stayed else where. I would consider thisas a trap and illegal. I asked to speak to the manager or owner and was told neither would be available till Monday. And things would not change as this was already their decision. WOW great customer service.

So I inform them I would find another place to stay and walked out, made a visit to another hotel that had better rates and planned on staying there so I went back to the hotel to make sure that this matter wasover and done with. I was told that while I was gone she had called her manager and was told to charge my credit card for $177 for the cancellation. So if thisis the way it is I should still be able to used that room for the night and leave in the morning. NOPE as the reservation was cancelled. So I headed outside to call Visa to put a stop to this transaction and had the plan to call in the RCMP to deal with these jerks. Visa said the room was mine so I headed inand was given to keys to the room that we had been billed for.

During the hockey game the manager called our room and again called me a lair over and over threatening to call my and other employers ofour group to tell them what we had done. This person was just crazy. Repeating her self over and over again like I was not hearing her. She is one of thepeople who absolutely lacks customer service and personal skills. I think the entire hotel and staff are lacking these skills. By the end of our call she had only 2 options either give us our rates back the way they were or have 3 empty room on a Saturday night. Got our rates back so off to the bar we went.

Game ended well…

Saturday headed out a 5am and headed out for a few hours but still we lacked fish on the boat again. So off to see Jim we went. Very help fulman. He gave us some info which we tried for a couple hours then got blown off the water. Got us a few bottom fish though.

Sunday checked out of the hotel and back on the water againat 5am picked up a chicken and a few lings and a couple of rock fish. Head back to the load up our boats and hit the highway.

Blew a wheel bearing on the trailer on the way down.Thankfully we were able to get parts in Mc Neil and get it patched well enoughto get us down the highway. New axle needed.

WARNING……..When we got home and started working out thebills I noticed every purchase we made at the Marina on our Visa cards were subjected to a $2 charge that we not informed of. I will be calling Visa today about this.

I will never ever stay @ this Hotel again unless management changes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do recommend going on sites like Trip Advisor and writing a report so that others that are thinking about going there know what they are going to get. Our local Chamber of Commerce would be very interested in hearing you.

Was posted on Trip Advisors and called the Chamber of Commerce.

Last edited by a moderator:
Winter Harbour-Swell watch said good weather fri.sat.sun and wonder of wonders-so it was!!! Fished with the commies off lippy on Fri pm until9 pm-unheard of. Made a fair dent in our quota of springs,coho and hali,s. Sat-we established there were fish off LIppy so went to the Hi-way expecting to mop up-not to be-went all the way to 500 ft and fished as deep as 240 ft of wire-nada!!! quite a shock- worked my way back in and got into a huge school of squid which we kept foul hooking. Moved back in off Lippy in 200 ft of water-started picking up Springs,coho and a hali-plus 3 lings. We had a great day-pretty flat . Sun morning looked nasty but fishable. We needed 1 spring, 2 Halis,and 3 coho to complete a limit for 3 guys. Spring came quickly but the coho were elusive-so one side trolled for coho and the other bounced botton from 160 to 180 ft trying to get halis. We got our 2 halis(chickens) but also caught and released 4 hi teens springs( no damage). headed to the harbour approaches and at 30 ft of wire we finished our triple header-Springs.Coho,hali, and later crab-prawns were slow as the commies were still working. My first trip of the year-6 weeks late- better late than never. Great trip-you hali guys will have more insight into this than me-the first 4 hali were not targeted-they were caught on anchovy and salmon gear but get this they were caught 50 to 80 ft above the bottom-I know this happens but it has never happened 4 times on my boat on one trip. Lots of chickens at WH???? Lures in order of success- anchovy-6ft leader, Blood and bones hootchy, harlequin hootchy. Thanks to Striper Sniper for your company a pleasure to fish with you.

Port Mcneill was slow as well on Sun Mon. Fished for about 6 hours for hali and had one chance. Herring and fresh octopus 200-300. Several well known areas.
Shoulda tried deeper. Fished n back side of Malcolm for salmon and caught a hali. Maybe 2 salmon bites missed in 12 hrs. Talked to a lota guys c/w nada.
Big evening tides and close to full moon. Hmmmm. April, may next year for sure

Winter Harbour-Swell watch said good weather fri.sat.sun and wonder of wonders-so it was!!! Fished with the commies off lippy on Fri pm until9 pm-unheard of. Made a fair dent in our quota of springs,coho and hali,s. Sat-we established there were fish off LIppy so went to the Hi-way expecting to mop up-not to be-went all the way to 500 ft and fished as deep as 240 ft of wire-nada!!! quite a shock- worked my way back in and got into a huge school of squid which we kept foul hooking. Moved back in off Lippy in 200 ft of water-started picking up Springs,coho and a hali-plus 3 lings. We had a great day-pretty flat . Sun morning looked nasty but fishable. We needed 1 spring, 2 Halis,and 3 coho to complete a limit for 3 guys. Spring came quickly but the coho were elusive-so one side trolled for coho and the other bounced botton from 160 to 180 ft trying to get halis. We got our 2 halis(chickens) but also caught and released 4 hi teens springs( no damage). headed to the harbour approaches and at 30 ft of wire we finished our triple header-Springs.Coho,hali, and later crab-prawns were slow as the commies were still working. My first trip of the year-6 weeks late- better late than never. Great trip-you hali guys will have more insight into this than me-the first 4 hali were not targeted-they were caught on anchovy and salmon gear but get this they were caught 50 to 80 ft above the bottom-I know this happens but it has never happened 4 times on my boat on one trip. Lots of chickens at WH???? Lures in order of success- anchovy-6ft leader, Blood and bones hootchy, harlequin hootchy. Thanks to Striper Sniper for your company a pleasure to fish with you.

Great to hear a good report, well done.

I hear ya Tortuga, I finally got my boat all serviced up and took her out for the first run of the year on Sunday. Fished the usual spots along the backside of malcolm and even headed towards the mainland since it was so incredibly flat!! Great day but no keeper sized fish. We got 2 halis in the monster 1 - 2 pound range and that was it. Seemed to be a slow weekend for everyone.

Yak

Back