Port Hardy / Winter Harbour / North Island Report - Spring and Summer 2011

They will be out on the highway by the last week in April-from the number of times the weather has co-operated enough to let me go. They may be there sooner but I have never been lucky enough to get a weather window to check it out.

There has been a fair number of halibut taken out in front of the airport, some nice size ones to from what I have heard. Can't wait to get the boat in the water.

I'm going to be working on Tournour island for a few weeks in about 2 weeks, if anybody has any tips for any type of groundfish and prawns around that area it would be greatly appreciated. I havea crew traveling up from the okanagan and i'd really like to get them into some action after work.

Thanks

Fish Nutz

The commercial prawn guys hammer that area all the time, but they are still some prawns there, you just have to watch where you set and make sure it is not over their traps. If you run further up towards Blackfish Sound and the bottom of Malcolm, you will find hali and the odd ling and snapper. Prawns are where you can find them in the 250-400 ft area, plus there is some good crab in a few of the bays.

Cheers

SS

Thanks for the response Sitka. I shoulnd be in and out before the comme's are out there unless i'm mistaken don't they start in May? We will be stationed close to the indian group out there so it doesn't look good for hali anyways based on the coutours. I assume we will probably have to run out into knights to have any chance at any springs.

I am headed out to Winter Harbour last week of May. Anyone beem out that way yet? Reports would be great.Thanks

heard there's a # of springs being caught by the commy guys a few weeks ago, but have heard nothing lately...and I'm dieing to get up there....soon.....gotta work this long weekend(good money) so maybe next weekend,same weekend you up there?, depending on following weeks schedule:confused:....I'm crossing my fingers:cool:

Heading to Hardy next weekend. Never fished this area any advise? Hali/Salmon/Crab/Prawns.

PM me any thing you don't want to post online any advise would be helpfull

Thanks,

FA, if I was headed up that way, I would launch Coal Harbour, for crab, run down to Winter Harbour for Halis and lings, and then fish for cohoes and springs. If you want more info, PM me......................BB

Will be going up in 3 weeks and would be interested in a report when you return. Should be good around Duval Point and Masterman Islands and the East side of the Gordon Group of Islands for Kings. I read that they were catching halibut by the airport. The area is fished by trolling the sand flats. Check with the local bait shop at the Marina to get information as to where to go. When you get back send me a PM and let me know how things went.

Things are looking good. Thanks to every one that has given me a PM with local info. I cant wait. Anyone that wants to hook up for a bevy on Fri or Sat send a PM and we will set a time. Looks like 6 or 7 SFBC members are comming on this trip.

Any more info would be great. But again thank you all.

I will be heading to Winter Harbour on the 17 of June for a 2 day trip. I will report on how well it goes.
You gonna be up there spring fever?

I will be heading to Winter Harbour on the 17 of June for a 2 day trip. I will report on how well it goes.
You gonna be up there spring fever?
Just got back from Winter Harbour. Slayed the springs, lings and hali's. Huge water but well worth the effort and payoff. Good luck up there, you're going to slay forsure! :)

Bait Tricks, we usually get to Winter Harbour in early August, but would love to go earlier too! Were you outside in the 300' water (typical August stuff anyway) for the salmon?

Bait Tricks, we usually get to Winter Harbour in early August, but would love to go earlier too! Were you outside in the 300' water (typical August stuff anyway) for the salmon?

We were out in 200ft of water fishing structure, depths anywhere from 120-180' fish hitting on hootchies and wonder spoon. Water was big the first two days of the three day trip so we just trolled salmon. Kind of had first kick at the can basically. It was awesome!! :)

Nice to hear you had a good trip Bait tricks, what were you fishing in
So you hooked all 4 Hali's trolling for salmon? or you got them on the third day?

19.5' aluminum is what we were fishing out of. The hali's we nailed on the last day as the pick held just long enough for us. The ling came up on the salmon gear.

Back