Polishing old commercial salmon spoons

spoiler

I'm reaching out to any ex. or present commercial salmon trollers, What's the best thing to use to polish metal salmon trolling spoons?

I'm an old ex (1970s). Red Bear polishing powder was the only stuff I recall using. I don't recall seeing it sold at sportfishing shops back then, but I think I've seen it fairly recently at Pacific Net and Twine. A little goes a long way.

On one side of my bench grinder, I have a polishing wheel. You can get them cheap at most hardware stores. Put some polishing compound on the wheel and fly away. They will turn them back into mirrors. I would not do this while the hooks are still attached, however. Sometimes you will grab the edge of the spoon with the polishing wheel And it could sync a hook into your finger or thumb.

Soak them in a 50/50 solution of sudsy ammonia and warm water in a ventilated area (don’t inhale the fumes). Leave them for an hour then rinse them off and polish them up with Silvo, Brasso or Neverdull. Neverdull seems to clean them best but leaves them too clean and susceptible to oxidation. Silvo or Brasso will clean and protect.

Autosol is what I have used with success
I used that with great success on my hot rod parts back in the day. But going back further, we didn’t have the options that they do today for polishing metal. Silvo and Brasso were basically the two choices.

I have this old bottle of stuff called Spoon Bright. The label has mostly faded away. Got it from an old commercial troller. Used to say on the label it was made in Parksville. I can't for the life of me remember what the stuff is made of. It's a yellow liquid, very watery. It dyes your fingers yellow for a half a day. Works like a hot damn. Seems to keep spoons from oxidizing if you clean your spoons once and a while with the stuff. The internet shows nothing in Google searches.

Ship Happens, that reminds me; when I commercial trolled back in the 70’s, we kept a plastic bottle of bright yellow liquid in the stern. It was used (diluted with water in a small tub) as a bath to keep spoons from corroding or tarnishing. It had an interesting name that I forget; something like Electrolyte, I think. That, and Red Bear polishing powder, were all we used for keeping spoons nice and bright.

Yeah sounds like the same stuff. This bottle I have is probly at least from that period of time. 70s at least. I'll have another look at it but last time the label was almost rubbed off. Be nice to find out what the stuff is made of. Works really well.

Ship Happens, that reminds me; when I commercial trolled back in the 70’s, we kept a plastic bottle of bright yellow liquid in the stern. It was used (diluted with water in a small tub) as a bath to keep spoons from corroding or tarnishing. It had an interesting name that I forget; something like Electrolyte, I think. That, and Red Bear polishing powder, were all we used for keeping spoons nice and bright.
Product is called Hydrotone. You mix it with water to store commercial grade spoons in each night. Still have to polish them regularly as the black hooks create electrolysis due to dissimilar metals

Product is called Hydrotone. You mix it with water to store commercial grade spoons in each night. Still have to polish them regularly as the black hooks create electrolysis due to dissimilar metals
I still have some of that stuff

I had no idea you were supposed to dilude with water and soak. Makes perfect sense. For years I just put some on a paper towel and clean the spoons. It removes stains, really brightens it up and prevents oxodization.

I have used this product for all my OG spoons with great success. My Grandfather was also a commercial troller and got me addicted. If you have a bunch to clean and polish I would also recommend grabbing a polishing ball that will attach to a cordless drill, will make the job easier.

I first soak her in coke over night then dry and apply ointment then giver a good rub tug and massage and finish off with the fluffing ball.
0D686FF5-B382-4100-A252-DFBEAD8B4E66.jpeg

The caution in an earlier reply about using a buffing wheel, but the danger of a hook flying into your hand, could be remedied by removing the welded ring and going to a split ring, and then you could pull the hooks off for polishing and put them back on later.

Back