Police Boat Hiding Out

adrianna3

On Saturday we were in Victoria for a wedding. We has some time to kill so we went for a walk on the breakwater. When we got out towards the lighthose at the end there was an large grey RIB sitting tight on the inside. As each and every boat that left or entered the harbour, they would tear out at full boar, with lights flashing, and nearly run the boat over. Most boats were too far away to see exactly what they were checking for as I didn't have binoculars.

So my question is; Are the RCMP allowed to board and search a boat with no probable cause or permission. I am sure they can ask for ID, safety equipment, pleasurecraft op licence and the usual. Is this case at all similar to refusing an automobile search? What would happen if you refused a vessel search? After all, we are minding our own business. How far can they go with all these new port of entry laws?

Dave

Sure it want the DOT boat or the harbour patrol as it was may 1 yesterday thats when they "start up" again what they do mostly is tell people its only 7 knots only entering the harbour.
Ive had one issue with them a few yrs back when he came up to me at about 25 kts and told me to slow down I yelled back how about you too!!!!!!!! lets just say I wasnt too impressed.... and yes there is more to the story ....

sure any group who has enforcement duties can stop and board you. this happens under the umbrella of 'safety inspection'. i have now been stopped by the USCG, twice; county sheriff, once; drug enforcement, five times. all of these boats have impressive hp and they run straight at you seemingly at WOT before they back off. i really like the drug groups: '...sir did you run out of (they invent a port that makes no sense, i guess to see how you respond), is this a commercial boat?, who ownes this boat?, and then what they really want to ask 'is everyone on board a US citizen?, thanks and have a nice day.......WOT off to the next customer. they must have huge fuel tanks 'cause with 4 300hp mercs they are burning it like no tomorrow, my tax dollars at work!

my safety inspection sticker by the USCG AUX has, so far, eliminated boardings. only guys that stopped for an extended chat were the fish and wildlife folks who wanted to make sure we were barbless and had our licenses, nice couple of guys with a smile and appropriate attitude for their job.

Fortunate we don't live in the states since 911 when it comes to law enforcement it's been mass hysteria,it's a safe bet to say if a Rib with 4x300hp. Mercs. comes barreling down on me from no where they won't need to put me in the new x-ray machine to see what I have in my depends.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fortunate we don't live in the states since 911 when it comes to law enforcement it's been mass hysteria,it's a safe bet to say if a Rib with 4x300hp. Mercs. comes barreling down on me from no where they won't need to put me in the new x-ray machine to see what I have in my depends.

Sammy thats hillarious, I just about spewed coffee all over my monitor

and don't forget to take yur shoes off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! total and complete BS especially when you realize that about 70% of the parcels loaded on commercial jets is NOT inspected. politics in action, but at least the dumbass color coding of the day is now history.

I have successfully denied DFO on two occasions permission to boat boat and look for fish. 2nd time Had an oversize in the bucket from earlier in the day offshore and they didnot believe me and wanted to board to look at gps trails, denied them again. With all the guide stickers on boat now that proves compliance, I would think you could deny cops too unless they stated something they saw in your boat array from thiers.

I wonder what the real law is - on the road police cannot pull you over unless they have a reason, no random checks allowed. On the water this seems to the norm.

I have denied DFO to look over my boat while pulling out the ramp, he wasn't happy but kept trying but obviously he wasn't legally allowed to inspect without my permission. I've got nothing to hide but I don't like being treated like a potential criminal without reason.

google this 'GRC 043' to see the next level of whats going to running around pullin' you over. note the RIB boat on board.

I wonder what the real law is - on the road police cannot pull you over unless they have a reason, no random checks allowed. On the water this seems to the norm.

I have denied DFO to look over my boat while pulling out the ramp, he wasn't happy but kept trying but obviously he wasn't legally allowed to inspect without my permission. I've got nothing to hide but I don't like being treated like a potential criminal without reason.

Under the Canada Shipping Act a inspector can board your boat at any time to check for safety compliance , this includes pleasure craft. The RCMP have a mandate to enforce any law in Canada.

I have a great deal of difficulty with American enforcement boats with a lone RCMP officer on board doing inspections in Canadian waters.

Most RCMP officers will ask you to produce the different safety items and papers without boarding .Any interaction I have had has been respectful and lighthearted , both as a commercial operator and pleasure boating.

beemer

Now if the officer(s) on board that police boat looked like this I am sure that we would be hearing a completely different story for sure.:D

RCMP.jpg

Fishing Sidney derby on Sat, when the rc's pulled up and starting chatting with a couple of boats including ourselves. They just wanted to make there presents known. They weren't asking to pull gear up to come along side, they seem to wait until you are running then pull you over. An hour later another police boat came by heading back to Sidney. If they were in Victoria they are covering alot of water.

Remember if you decline the offer for them to come aboard they are documenting your boat id, if they feel that you are hiding anything you may be greeted by others. As Beemer quoted they are mandated to enforce any Canadian Law. I have had them on board twice and both times they have been respectful. We all have jobs but theirs sucks more than mine because I wouldn't want to pull up beside some of the boaters i have seen.

Back