Poett Nook boat or drive

D

Darrell

Hey all, I've really been enjoying reading all the excellent reports and I'm pretty stoked to be heading up there for the 1st time Aug 16th for 4 days. I do have a couple questions for you guys. Is it easiest to just launch your boat at Port Alberni with all your supplies (were tenting) and motor out to poett Nook? or is the road in good enough condition to trailer the boat out. Also were is a safe place to leave a truck and trailer at Port Alberni.

I'd drive out. Afternoon winds could slow you down on the water.
Poett Nook is a great place. Driving is the ticket.

john

this topic has been discussed several times on this forum...majority say boat.
1) you launch/load in fresh water
2) beautiful trip
3) no dust
4) no potholes
5) no logging trucks
6) as fast or faster (unless as mentioned by nooka you go after 11:00 on a hot day)
7) etc etc

It does get very rough late morning or afternoon and you are running straight into it the whole way. If you are able to go early morning it is a wonderful trip.
I'm over there a couple times a month from April to September and always boat. Never had my vehicle messed with in Port...although there was a recent post warning about problems (I'm knocking on wood right now).
Takes me 2-1/2 hours from my driveway in Nanaimo to Swale or Kirby boating...the one time I drove this year it took 2-1/2 hours from Port to Bamfield without a boat trailer.

I'd suggest it largely depends on the size of your boat...

As a general rule, I always boat down, and do it 10-12 times a year at a minimum. As mentioned, Nahmint Bay gets nasty early morning through until dinner so as long as you plan accordingly then it is all good. I left Poett at 9am yesterday, and even with a stop at the Port RCMP (it was my truck that was messed with) I was back home (Nanaimo) by 12. I avoid the Bamfield road as much as possible, towed the boat down once and it got beaten and it took weeks to get the dust out.

I guess it depends on what type of boat you have. Welded aluminium that you can rinse off, not susceptable to rock damage, trailer in good shape, then drive. Everything will get very dusty. Best alternative is boat down and have someone else drive if you need a vehicle or leave the vehicle in Port, imho.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm on the first sailing out of Tsawwassen to Nanaimo ferry. However that still puts me in Port Alberni late morning, right when the winds might pick up. O'Well I guess I could look at it this way, would I rather have a bumpy ride in the water or a bumpy ride in the truck. I think water. If it's too rough we could always do a little trolling on the way out to Poett Nook.

First ferry will put you in the inlet at the start of the winds...shouldn't be too bad but it will be lumpy. I've run it in a 19' boat in about as bad as the conditions get...took our time and made it ok. The inlet's busy this time of year, so you can likely tuck in behind someone.
There's way more danger from dead heads than from the waves...keep all eyes looking ahead.

Well Darrell if you're launching at Cluesti watch that current in the river(look at the marker in front of you at the launch)not sure about the tides tommrow but I banged my skeg at the last two pilings on the way out.(LOWWW Tide) I was just off to the right a bit but still well within the markers so PAY attention to the depth.You should be okay up to 11 ish at Nahmint,watch for dead heads.You can also park at the athletic hall parking lot just past the back of the petro canada station look right you'll see the boat trailers,DONT leave anything of value in the truck.Dan

not to be discouraged... last 2 times in the last few weeks i ran the inlet it was **** calm, and then maybe 0.5 ft chop in nahmint bay, and this was all at about 2 in the afternoon. you might get a beauty day on the water, ya never know...

If you are running out on a low tide down from Clutesi, stick to the deepest part of the channel and keep her on plane. If you go down slow you will draft too much water with predictable results. Fast is good, slow is deadly. Go for the run down by water unless you have a small boat. Anything less than 24 feet after noon will be a very bumpy and at times dangerous venture. If you do decide to run down with a small boat go early and try to hug the southern shoreline.

Good luck.

Searun

Back