Port Alberni Charter Boat

SeaWolf

So we were heading up Alberni Canal this morning and got waved down by a 23 foot Grady White Charter boat out of Port Alberni near Hissin Point that had "run out of gas". The guide said he "screwed up" and had planned to fuel up at Poett Nook. He also said he did not have a fuel gauge and relied upon the Yamaha fuel management to guesstimate his fuel. I'm putting this out there for anyone thinking of taking a charter because some things just do not add up. Fuel at the Nook is just shy of $2.00 a litre. I'm pretty sure that a premium brand like Grady included a fuel gauge. Who leaves the dock in town (with cheaper fuel) without a functioning fuel gauge with what I presumed was paying passengers to pay the premium price in the sound?

Fuel is expensive, I am grateful for those places like the Poett Nook that still make it available. Kudos to them for spotting me with a Jerry Can of fuel to aid this boat. They did a great service. Their season is short and this is not a meant to criticize their price, they were awesome and I hope the Grady showed up on their dock and squared things up.

Back to the Guide, at first he wanted a tow. A 18 ft Campion with a 115 is not going to get you to Poett Nook, so I did what I could do, which was get him some fuel. I asked him if he had called Coast Guard radio, he had not, but had to afterwards or really lose face with his customers. His callsign became "23 Foot Grady", I guess it would have been bad for business to use your charter name.

Prince Rupert radio had a busy morning as they were dispatching the Bamfield rescue boats to Poett Nook for a medical emergency. They arrived at the Nook as we were getting fuel for our new friend. Watching from the fuel dock these guys are pro's, a resource we are lucky to have. I'm glad they did not have to get diverted or split their attention dealing with the dry Grady. I hope their patient is doing well.

Back to the Grady. Fill your dam tank. It is inexcusable leaving the dock with paying customers with less than a full tank. How much of their time were you prepared to waste? Coast Guard would have had to assist you, if I did not. Lots of people listening but not many answering a call for assistance. The scene they were responding to in Poett Nook was life threating, the patient had to be medevac'd to Port Alberni. The Facebook page you told me look you up on does not appear to exist, your web presence is pretty weak to say the least, I guess that says it all.

To anyone considering a budget charter, do your diligence. If the tank is not full, it is probably because they are waiting for your $$ to buy the gas.

Twice in my years on the water I have had to rely on others to help me. For the Native Commercial boat in Prince Rupert and for the German guy in Sayward, I paid the favor forward, and hopefully taught my son a lesson. Cheers Seawolf

So we were heading up Alberni Canal this morning and got waved down by a 23 foot Grady White Charter boat out of Port Alberni near Hissin Point that had "run out of gas". The guide said he "screwed up" and had planned to fuel up at Poett Nook. He also said he did not have a fuel gauge and relied upon the Yamaha fuel management to guesstimate his fuel. I'm putting this out there for anyone thinking of taking a charter because some things just do not add up. Fuel at the Nook is just shy of $2.00 a litre. I'm pretty sure that a premium brand like Grady included a fuel gauge. Who leaves the dock in town (with cheaper fuel) without a functioning fuel gauge with what I presumed was paying passengers to pay the premium price in the sound?

Fuel is expensive, I am grateful for those places like the Poett Nook that still make it available. Kudos to them for spotting me with a Jerry Can of fuel to aid this boat. They did a great service. Their season is short and this is not a meant to criticize their price, they were awesome and I hope the Grady showed up on their dock and squared things up.

Back to the Guide, at first he wanted a tow. A 18 ft Campion with a 115 is not going to get you to Poett Nook, so I did what I could do, which was get him some fuel. I asked him if he had called Coast Guard radio, he had not, but had to afterwards or really lose face with his customers. His callsign became "23 Foot Grady", I guess it would have been bad for business to use your charter name.

Prince Rupert radio had a busy morning as they were dispatching the Bamfield rescue boats to Poett Nook for a medical emergency. They arrived at the Nook as we were getting fuel for our new friend. Watching from the fuel dock these guys are pro's, a resource we are lucky to have. I'm glad they did not have to get diverted or split their attention dealing with the dry Grady. I hope their patient is doing well.

Back to the Grady. Fill your dam tank. It is inexcusable leaving the dock with paying customers with less than a full tank. How much of their time were you prepared to waste? Coast Guard would have had to assist you, if I did not. Lots of people listening but not many answering a call for assistance. The scene they were responding to in Poett Nook was life threating, the patient had to be medevac'd to Port Alberni. The Facebook page you told me look you up on does not appear to exist, your web presence is pretty weak to say the least, I guess that says it all.

To anyone considering a budget charter, do your diligence. If the tank is not full, it is probably because they are waiting for your $$ to buy the gas.

Twice in my years on the water I have had to rely on others to help me. For the Native Commercial boat in Prince Rupert and for the German guy in Sayward, I paid the favor forward, and hopefully taught my son a lesson. Cheers Seawolf
Really nobody answered a call for assistance lol, I rest my case

coast guard is definitely not going to respond to an out of fuel call, unless it has the potential to become a mayday.
if he was a charter, in good reputable standing, his cohorts would be there for him, first

No need to carry a full tank of fuel as fuel is heavy and some boats have large capacities. But a working fuel gauge and enough fuel to safely conclude the days planned journey and a bit of reserve is a no brainer. Even having a few gallons in a day tank for the kicker is good insurance to at least keep you out of real trouble like ending up on a beach. I add my fuel in the early morning before guests show up...I find fuel pours into my tank when the air is cooler...or the fuel is cooler from overnight temps...it doesn't burp back up the filler neck and I can pour it faster.

My Grady doesn't have a fuel gauge. Have the yamaha fuel system to go on. No excuse though. I don't like seeing it go past 1/3 tank. I recently overheard a couple guides sharing stories about running out of gas. I was quite shocked at what I heard. Both said CG was never a option and recieved help from other boats.

coast guard is definitely not going to respond to an out of fuel call, unless it has the potential to become a mayday.
if he was a charter, in good reputable standing, his cohorts would be there for him, first
You betcha!!!

Agree coast guard are last resort, but when mechanical issues happen on the water , not to many people will pull gear to help, would not want to miss the bite, sad but a fact

agree wholeheartedly with the excellent, common-sense comments on here! :)

NOBODY should run out of gas unless they just recently got a hole in one or a hose blew off. Yes, break downs sometimes happen - but this was not that.

EVERYBODY should take extra fuel (couple jerry cans perhaps) if they can. And I have run boats w/o fuel gauges, and it relly isn't that hard to figure out the capacity of your fuel tank (LxWxH), how much fuel/hr you burn (past fuel fillups verses distance run), and how far you are planning on going. Even a stick works for some tanks.

Really no excuse there - and also pretty damn embarrassing for any charterers to run out of fuel w their clients onboard. "Fly-by-nighters.com" must be the web address of the charter operation.

Back